Red Storm Tip-Off 2013

• 35 replies
Re: Red Storm Tip-Off 2013
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 09:41:39 PM »
Can we get a Ricky Raindrops chant going?

StJohnsBasketball ‏@StJohnsBBall 6h

#SJUBB ALUMNI GAME UPDATE: #NYC Connection: Rob Thomas (@Robdaboywonder) and Ricky Torres added to the roster for Oct. 25.

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 01:44:35 PM »
“@TheBBallDiary: St John's Men's & Women's basketball teams will have media day on Thursday afternoon on campus. Joe Tartamella & Steve Lavin.”

DFF6

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 08:46:28 PM »
ESPN's Blunt but honest assessment of last year's team. Don't agree with the some of the factors described below that are critical for the success of this year's team (e.g., Gift's return to the team):

St. John's Red Storm
2012-13: 17-16 (8-10)
In-conference offense: 0.92 points per possession (14th)
In-conference defense: 0.97 points allowed per possession (7th)
With a block percentage that ranked second in the nation (18.4) -- led by one-man SWAT team Chris Obekpa (15.8) -- the 2012-13 Red Storm were extremely adept at keeping the ball out of the basket. Unfortunately that prowess also extended to their offensive game as well.

Projected starting lineup

If you're betting on the Johnnies to finish in the top half of the Big East in 2013-14, you're betting on head coach Steve Lavin making a big-time course correction when his team has the ball. In 2012-13, Lavin's first season on the sidelines after recovering from prostate cancer, the Red Storm produced at just a 0.98-points-per-possession clip, well below the Division I average of 1.00.
If there were a case study to be done in inefficient offense, SJU would be a prime candidate. The Johnnies have talented players (Jakarr Sampson and D'Angelo Harrison to name two), but they have yet to form a consistent offensive threat. St. John's finished No. 2 in the nation in point distribution from 2-point range, but that's not a figure showing how adept the Red Storm were at scoring inside the arc. Rather, it's a testament to how infrequently they got to the foul line (28.9 FTA/FGA, No. 327 nationally) and how poorly they shot when they did find their way to the stripe (64.0 percent, No. 317). And if you think that horror show is grizzly, you may want to avert your eyes when St. John's shoots from behind the arc. Only four teams in the nation shot worse than the Johnnies' 27.1 percent from long distance.
On the positive side, St. John's seldom turned the ball over, boasting the No. 17 offensive turnover rate in the land last season. Of course, the Red Storm's ability to protect the rock only allowed them to chuck it at the basket, which all too often resulted in the same net result as a turnover.
The Storm seemed to settle for shots rather than dictating to the defense last season. As a team, St. John's spotted up for a jumper on 497 possessions last season, per Synergy Sports Technologies. Of Harrison's 290 shot attempts, 239 of them were either jumpers or runners. Even the taller Sampson took jumpers on 172 of his 361 shot attempts. So St. John's two most used offensive options were taking jumpers or runners on 68.5 percent of their shot attempts, and they hit just 20 percent of them.
The key for the Johnnies in 2013-14 won't be to improve their shooting percentages so much as it will be to get to the foul line with aggressive drives to the basket. In 2010-11 the Red Storm posted a free throw rate of 44.2, the 38th-best mark in Division I. They converted 71 percent of those shots and rode a 21-win season into the NCAA tournament. To that end, with the ball in their hands, Sampson and Harrison need to play less like Marcus Hatten and Anthony Mason and more like Dwight Hardy (41.8 FT rate in 2011-12) and D.J. Kennedy (59.2). Sampson upping his 64 percent foul shooting wouldn't hurt, either.
St. John's was a young, young team last season -- only Northern Illinois, Dartmouth and Texas had less experienced rosters -- and increased maturity and decision-making could go a long way in the campaign ahead. So too could the return of God'sgift Achiuwa (9 points, 5.6 rebounds per game in 2011-12) from last season's redshirt year, and the debut of 6-9 forward Orlando Sanchez, who won his eligibility battle with the NCAA.
Also helping the Johnnies in their get-to-the rim endeavor will be stud freshman Rysheed Jordan, the No. 3 point guard in the 2013 recruiting class and No. 17 prospect overall in the ESPN 100. While he likely won't reverse the Red Storm's recent shooting trends from distance, he has the speed and the frame to get to the rack and absorb contact, something St. John's badly needs if it wants to do more than merely weather its first season in the new Big East.

Tiznow

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 10:23:44 PM »
How can any assessment of this team not mention Sir Dom?

This guy analyzed the stats without watching them play.  If he analyzed the stats from 2009 / 2010 team he never would have predicted success for the 2010/2011 team.

The key for this team will be their attitude.  I'm banking on the extra year of maturity making a big difference in the toughness they lacked last season - see ND game.   

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 10:39:55 AM »
he may have analyzed the stats without watching them play, but the stats are what they are.

other than the hooper game, the stats on the european trip seemed to replicate last year.

last year, we had no point guards.  that's why we had the steady diet of brick jumpers.  hopefully, this year will be different with top distributor rysheed jordan coming on board along with a much improved (according to lavin) jamal branch.

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »

#SJUBB ALUMNI GAME UPDATE: #NYC Connection: Rob Thomas (@Robdaboywonder) and Ricky Torres added to the roster for Oct. 25.

Didn't Torres transfer out or was it that I can't remember him every scoring
SadRappy....

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 10:59:56 AM »
[..... ]
Happy Rappy
OUT

This is getting old really fast Happy.    You don't need a sign-off when your name is in big orange letters next to every post.   
That's been grating on me, and I can't be the only one. 

+100 squared

That would be +10,000.  You must be Sybil on Steroids.
Sniffyrappy

paultzman

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
“@VinParise: Heading to St. John's to co-host @StJohnsBBall Media Day.  @SJUCoachLavin, players & much more on @ESPN3 this afternoon between 1 & 3pm.”

Poison

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 12:44:17 AM »
Can anyone tell me what this event is like? I have not been to a tip off since Oct 1994. And that was a bigger party than the Obama 2008 election.

sju89tr

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 08:55:41 AM »

Didn't Torres transfer out or was it that I can't remember him every scoring
SadRappy....

He transferred to Univ Maryland Baltimore County and I don't think he ever played there and then went to Norfolk State and never played. He also attended "Mike" Jarvis Christian College (LOL JK)and never played there either.

I had thought he tried to play at University of Albany but not sure that ever happened.

I think Ricky could have been a useful player if used correctly and given consistent minutes and a consistent role. No doubt he was overhyped and wasnt a very good athlete but if given an open shot he could stroke it. The Roberts years were just dysfunctional trying to field a lineup and Geno had ball in his hands 99.9% of the time.   

Happy

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 09:24:12 AM »
[..... ]
Happy Rappy
OUT

This is getting old really fast Happy.    You don't need a sign-off when your name is in big orange letters next to every post.   

+100

Thi
[..... ]
Happy Rappy
OUT

Please call him by his screen name.. The last thing I want is anyone to confuse me with him as I have lots of friends on these boards :)

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 10:31:31 AM »
How can you blame the Geno for ricky sucking? Ricky makes avery patteson look good

Poison

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 10:49:27 AM »
How can you blame the Geno for ricky sucking? Ricky makes avery patteson look good

Neither of those guys have any business playing in the BE. They were both Northeast level players.

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »

This guy analyzed the stats without watching them play.  If he analyzed the stats from 2009 / 2010 team he never would have predicted success for the 2010/2011 team.

The key for this team will be their attitude.  I'm banking on the extra year of maturity making a big difference in the toughness they lacked last season - see ND game.   

This season is going to come down to execution.  Last year, there was very little execution by both the players and the coaches.  Nobody could shoot the ball and the lack of an offense was apparent.  Outside factors did play into this (the loss of Dunlap to the NBA, the NCAA's clown show surrounding Orlando Sanchez, and D'lo being suspended from the team).  There shouldn't be any excuses for this upcoming season.  Our poor PG play last year should be helped by a more experienced Branch as well as the addition of Jordan, who was the 17th ranked recruit for a reason.  Hooper and, cross your fingers, Bourgault might be able to help our absolutely awful shooting from last season.  It can't get a hell of a lot worse.  GG and Sanchez should provide some much needed depth upfront to help out JaKarr and Obekpa throughout the game.  And finally you got a reputable in game coach in Whitesell.

On paper, the team should be much improved.  But again, that's why they play the games.  If you watched them at the end of last season, they were a disaster.  I hope with the recent improvements that a much better product will play out in front of us this year.

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »

This season is going to come down to execution.  Last year, there was very little execution by both the players and the coaches.  Nobody could shoot the ball and the lack of an offense was apparent.  Outside factors did play into this (the loss of Dunlap to the NBA, the NCAA's clown show surrounding Orlando Sanchez, and D'lo being suspended from the team).  There shouldn't be any excuses for this upcoming season.  Our poor PG play last year should be helped by a more experienced Branch as well as the addition of Jordan, who was the 17th ranked recruit for a reason.  Hooper and, cross your fingers, Bourgault might be able to help our absolutely awful shooting from last season.  It can't get a hell of a lot worse.  GG and Sanchez should provide some much needed depth upfront to help out JaKarr and Obekpa throughout the game.  And finally you got a reputable in game coach in Whitesell.

On paper, the team should be much improved.  But again, that's why they play the games.  If you watched them at the end of last season, they were a disaster.  I hope with the recent improvements that a much better product will play out in front of us this year.
I hope Sanchez plays like Mitchell Foster.  We need some buttkickers out there!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:54:40 AM by happyrappy »

redslope

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 11:58:25 AM »

I hope Sanchez plays like Mitchell Foster.  We need some buttkickers out there!
hopefully not as I would like to see him make a free throw