Rating Coach

• 104 replies
Re: Rating Coach
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2013, 12:19:57 PM »
If we end up totally sucking this season for whatever reason, you don't fire Lavin unless you have a secret commitment from Billy Donovan, Sean Miller, or Shaka Smart to take over. We were nothing before Lavin, and you don't want to risk sliding back to Norm-like obscurity by hiring a mid-major no-name. You fire Lavin, you sure as hell better be ready to make a huge splash.

Hiring Norm wasn't a bad move because of where he came from or because of his position. He was horrible at every aspect of the game, except basically recruiting nice kids who didn't get in any trouble.

It's not fair or wise to say we'd never go after a no name again. Who were Calhoun, Boeheim and Coach K before they were hired? Personally, I like the kid on Manhattan, and the Stony Brook coach. Not saying i want them as my coach but you can't paint every unknown w the same brush.

Lavin isn't on the hot seat at this point, but if you think he'll escape another disappointing season without ending up on it, I think you're wrong. Hopefully, none of us will have this conversation.

But missing the dance yet again really begs the question, outside of summer hype, what would have really been the difference between where we were and where we are?  Are we okay w not dancing because we missed the tournament in style?

Norm's recruiting in retrospect wasn't terrible. He didn't get top tier players and never was able to get a point guard. He did get serviceable players though. If he could coach at all he would have been succesful

I think Norm's recruiting was much worse than terrible. His judgement was horrendous. And as loyal fans, we gave him time early on buying into the bogus excuse that Jarvis left the program in
in the shambles and therefore Norm deserved a fair shake.

It goes deeper than losing Corey Fisher to Nova and Devin Ebanks to WV. Norm chose Malik Stith over Chaz Williams. He simply didn't have a mind for the game.
Agreed.  He turned away Truck after the kid stated he wanted SJU and he went down with Boothe rather than giving Hardy the ball like Lavin did.  He just isn't a very bright guy and you need at least half a brain to be a HC. 

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2013, 03:52:05 PM »
I don't think you can fairly give one rating to coach Lavin.  You would ae to break it up into the following.  So here Goes my thoughts.

1. Recruiting. ......    B to B+
We're it not for the dry spell of late, I would ave given him an A+

2. Game preparation....... D
Based on the 18 point deficit to Wisconsin and the Longwoods of the world being in a game with us till the second half.

3.  In game coaching , adjustments.......B+
Based on a nice comeback with Wisconsin and coming back and beating the teams we were either in a game with or down to in the second half.

4.  PR...........A+
No one can spin mediocrity like Lavs can

Overall, probably a C to C+

Poison

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2013, 04:01:26 PM »
I don't think you can fairly give one rating to coach Lavin.  You would ae to break it up into the following.  So here Goes my thoughts.

1. Recruiting. ......    B to B+
We're it not for the dry spell of late, I would ave given him an A+

2. Game preparation....... D
Based on the 18 point deficit to Wisconsin and the Longwoods of the world being in a game with us till the second half.

3.  In game coaching , adjustments.......B+
Based on a nice comeback with Wisconsin and coming back and beating the teams we were either in a game with or down to in the second half.

4.  PR...........A+
No one can spin mediocrity like Lavs can

Overall, probably a C to C+

Coach went 12-5, and 1 and 1 in the BE in 2010-2011. Last season, he went 7-9, and 0-1 in the BE tournament. A BE coach w a total record of 20-16 isn't an A, and probably isn't even a solid B, yet. (Although I gave him a B myself) BUT, if he produces a winning record in conference, and we dance, Lavin is at the very least a B, maybe even a B+ depending how the season plays out.
He really shouldn't be judged until it does.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2013, 05:45:47 PM »
I gave him a C, and I thought I was being generous. I don't see how you can give him any higher. He hasn't made the tournament once with his own players. The recruiting has been good, but what does that matter if you can't translate that talent into wins, and NCAA tourney appearances? Obviously if we make the tourney this year I would give him a better grade, but until then a C is reasonable.

Dan

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2013, 11:36:52 PM »
C

If they don't make the NCAAs, C-

If he proceeds to not make it the season after that, F.

Enough with the spin. Produce results. Flashy recruits and little in terms of results