Lavin on WFAN

• 52 replies
Re: Lavin on WFAN
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 09:25:46 PM »
Do some of you guys really have a problem with him saying we should get five bids?  Are you serious?  What is he going to say..."nah, I think three is fair."  Get real. 

If you want to sell your house for 450k, you usually don't list it for 450k, right?  You tell everyone its worth 500k in your opninion. Same principle here. This conference deserves five bids.  Two teams are in the top ten of the RPI and top 15 of the polls..three other teams tied at 10-8 with 19 or 20 wins.  They should all be in, but the RPI is is absurd this year.  It seem so out of whack. 

The AAC is disgusting.  They beat the sh*t out of the bottom of the league.  There were like two upsets all year...they were awful.  Ten near guaranteed wins IN CONFERENCE plus chances to beat four others that were good not great.  We would have been a six seed out of the AAC. Who thinks UCOnn beats us at home?  Cincy?  SMU?

No problem whatsoever...they all do it

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »
Bottom line is this Lavin is not going to throw his kids under the bus and he is not going to put added pressure on them that they don't feel already.  That is just who he is.  We all saw it when they started 0-5.  He was consistently positive despite all the negativity.  He protects his kids to the point where he may say things that sound a bit ridiculous.

In other words he knows how big this week is for them.  He knows they know.  Why put added pressure on them that this season is only a success if they make the NCAA's?

I have no doubt privately Coach and the team understand how important making the NCAA's is this year.  The NIT while not a complete abject failure would not be a success this year but Coach is not going to say that even though privately he feels that way,

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »
Do some of you guys really have a problem with him saying we should get five bids?  Are you serious?  What is he going to say..."nah, I think three is fair."  Get real. 

If you want to sell your house for 450k, you usually don't list it for 450k, right?  You tell everyone its worth 500k in your opninion. Same principle here. This conference deserves five bids.  Two teams are in the top ten of the RPI and top 15 of the polls..three other teams tied at 10-8 with 19 or 20 wins.  They should all be in, but the RPI is is absurd this year.  It seem so out of whack. 

The AAC is disgusting.  They beat the sh*t out of the bottom of the league.  There were like two upsets all year...they were awful.  Ten near guaranteed wins IN CONFERENCE plus chances to beat four others that were good not great.  We would have been a six seed out of the AAC. Who thinks UCOnn beats us at home?  Cincy?  SMU?

I would take the AAC over the Big East this year any day of the week. 

Strength of conference gets decided during OOC schedule.  Who in this league beat anybody of any note other than Villanova and Georgetown??  The Big East stinks this year in comparison to other leagues.

With this said, I don't blame Lavin for saying he thinks 5 teams should get in.  It is his job to pump up his team and his league. 

However, for him to say this season wouldn't be a failure if we missed the Tournament is a joke.  He's propping up deaths and births of children as an excuse as to why this team has underachieved to this point. 

Those things weren't happening when we were playing 8 different starting lineups in the first 14 games on a team that returned about 95% of its scoring from last year and had over 20 extra hours of practice and 5 extra games than almost every other team in the country because of Europe.  There are no excuses this year and frankly this team shouldn't even be close to the bubble.  Way too talented to be on the bubble.  If we miss the Tournament, I would like him to publicly take some accountability.  I want Lavin to be here and I think he's good for the school and program overall but this is frustrating.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Tiznow

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2014, 10:43:38 PM »

Strength of conference gets decided during OOC schedule.  Who in this league beat anybody of any note other than Villanova and Georgetown??  The Big East stinks this year in comparison to other leagues.

With this said, I don't blame Lavin for saying he thinks 5 teams should get in.  It is his job to pump up his team and his league. 

However, for him to say this season wouldn't be a failure if we missed the Tournament is a joke.  He's propping up deaths and births of children as an excuse as to why this team has underachieved to this point. 

Those things weren't happening when we were playing 8 different starting lineups in the first 14 games on a team that returned about 95% of its scoring from last year and had over 20 extra hours of practice and 5 extra games than almost every other team in the country because of Europe.  There are no excuses this year and frankly this team shouldn't even be close to the bubble.  Way too talented to be on the bubble.  If we miss the Tournament, I would like him to publicly take some accountability.  I want Lavin to be here and I think he's good for the school and program overall but this is frustrating.

Xavier handily beat the co-champs of the AAC.  Creighton also has impressive wins against top three or four teams from major conferences.  The teams at the bottom of this league have a one point loss to Oklahoma and a two point loss to Oklahoma State.  The bottom of this league is not crap like the watered down oversized leagues.

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »

The RPI puts the AAC at 8th best conference.  Big East at #4.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2014, 12:52:58 AM »

Well that is absurd.  Xavier beat the piss out of Cincy on  a neutral court.  Line em up 1-10 and the Big East wins 7/10 and has three or four wins by 20+  The bottom of that league is uglier than the SH fans at Kyle Anderson's game.

goredmen

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2014, 12:58:43 AM »

Well that is absurd.  Xavier beat the piss out of Cincy on  a neutral court.  Line em up 1-10 and the Big East wins 7/10 and has three or four wins by 20+  The bottom of that league is uglier than the SH fans at Kyle Anderson's game.

And GW handled Creighton so I guess the A10 is better than the BE since their 5th best team beat our 2nd best team easily

Foad

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2014, 06:55:42 AM »
Bottom line is this Lavin is not going to throw his kids under the bus

What are you talking about. He's shown a willingness to throw anything under the bus when it suits him, including his kids, his prostate, and his dead father.  The only reason he might not throw anything else under there is there's no room.

Mike

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2014, 11:53:53 PM »
Give it a rest, so what if he is pumping up the conference and the team. Somebody has too. I have a feeling no matter what he does it will still piss off people.  Let's just hope we win and don't worry about picking apart everything he says.

And I have a feeling no matter what he says to you, you will buy it.
Talk talk talk talk talk.
We're behind, where we want to be.  We're ahead of where we should be. We will be good come February.  Anyone catch today the mention of playing against teams with Seniors?  Really?
Back it up.  Don't crawl out to an 0-5 start and this league very well would have got 5 bids.
Nothing wrong with posters in a civil discussion pointing out issues.  This isn't a cult.  We all down follow behind Lavin like David Koresh.

I much rather wait until the season is over until I make my judgement especially since we have been on the bubble. I'm not the type to put up a pic off another coach then take it down when the season gets better.  If he wants to say we should 5 bids I don't care, the only thing I care about is winning and making the tournament. Honestly if it's the NIT I'm ok with that this year, just being able to continue playing is fine with me this year.

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »

And GW handled Creighton so I guess the A10 is better than the BE since their 5th best team beat our 2nd best team easily

By easily, you mean being up 54-53 with 15 seconds left in the game in the middle of a tournament on a neutral court?
BTW, Marquette, our seventh ranked RPI team, beat the piss out of GW...by 16.  Advantage Big East.  Boom!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:46:19 AM by Marillac »

Poison

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2014, 12:48:43 AM »

What are you talking about. He's shown a willingness to throw anything under the bus when it suits him, including his kids, his prostate, and his dead father.  The only reason he might not throw anything else under there is there's no room.

It's not that black and white. Lavin took the heat for suspending Harrison last year. Not Harrison. We didn't know why he was suspended, and we still don't know.

Not saying Lavin hasn't passed the blame, but in some ways, he has protected his players. If he tells the media what Harrison did to get suspended, that could have an impact on his ability to land a pro contract somewhere.

Moose

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2014, 08:18:59 AM »
Give it a rest, so what if he is pumping up the conference and the team. Somebody has too. I have a feeling no matter what he does it will still piss off people.  Let's just hope we win and don't worry about picking apart everything he says.

And I have a feeling no matter what he says to you, you will buy it.
Talk talk talk talk talk.
We're behind, where we want to be.  We're ahead of where we should be. We will be good come February.  Anyone catch today the mention of playing against teams with Seniors?  Really?
Back it up.  Don't crawl out to an 0-5 start and this league very well would have got 5 bids.
Nothing wrong with posters in a civil discussion pointing out issues.  This isn't a cult.  We all down follow behind Lavin like David Koresh.

I much rather wait until the season is over until I make my judgement especially since we have been on the bubble. I'm not the type to put up a pic off another coach then take it down when the season gets better.  If he wants to say we should 5 bids I don't care, the only thing I care about is winning and making the tournament. Honestly if it's the NIT I'm ok with that this year, just being able to continue playing is fine with me this year.

I took it that picture down to piss off another poster and their hate of Orlando Sanchez by putting him up.  But I'm happy that the pictures I use as my avatar really concern you.

The NIT is a failure this year and anyone who says otherwise accepts mediocrity.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:19:44 AM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

Foad

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2014, 08:19:48 AM »

It's not that black and white. Lavin took the heat for suspending Harrison last year. Not Harrison. We didn't know why he was suspended, and we still don't know.

Not saying Lavin hasn't passed the blame, but in some ways, he has protected his players. If he tells the media what Harrison did to get suspended, that could have an impact on his ability to land a pro contract somewhere.

Took the heat from who? Me and two other posters? He was praised in the press for his tough love there are some things more important than winning BS.

Short of murder there's little Harrison could have done that would affect his professional prospects. Gang bang Grady Reynolds played professional basketball. Jayson Williams, who assaulted a fan with a chair. Ron Artest, psychopath. Lance Stephenson, accused of assault. Serial woman beater Eric Devendorf plays professionally. Luther Wright. Marvin Freaking Barnes. I'd better stop, as I'm not going to live long enough to compile a complete list of thugs and criminals who've played professional basketball. The reason we didn't hear what Harrison did is because he didn't do anything except maybe but roll his eyes and shrug his shoulders and if Lavin told the press that they'd be unable to meet their deadlines because they'd be too busy rolling around on the floor laughing.