State of the Union

• 79 replies

goredmen

Re: State of the Union
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2014, 11:51:29 PM »
With Briscoe choosing UK and Sampson and Diallo not coming, do you think Lavin would even want to be here for the start of 15-16 season? I mean think about it, he's going to be in an even worse spot next year than he was in his first year here because he'll have to recruit practically a whole roster and won't have that year with an outgoing senior class like he did in 10-11.

He put all his eggs in landing a monster 15 class. With that now seemingly out of the question, he knows what a major rebuilding project he's going to have if he stays. I don't think he'll want to do it and will find a way out

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2014, 12:02:22 AM »
With Briscoe choosing UK and Sampson and Diallo not coming, do you think Lavin would even want to be here for the start of 15-16 season? I mean think about it, he's going to be in an even worse spot next year than he was in his first year here because he'll have to recruit practically a whole roster and won't have that year with an outgoing senior class like he did in 10-11.

He put all his eggs in landing a monster 15 class. With that now seemingly out of the question, he knows what a major rebuilding project he's going to have if he stays. I don't think he'll want to do it and will find a way out

Whos to say these seniors wont go out that same way? Isnt that really what its all about. The next game?  We havnt played a single game yet this season.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2014, 12:06:19 AM »
HopefullyDanny Hurley will be willing to come to this coaching suicide school after the year.

Lavin makes too much money for them to keep him around. He's not norm who they gor on the cheap.

Next season will be one of the worst teams St. John's has ever put on the court.

That is a ridiculous statement. ST. John's could start a stud junior point guard and a stud senior center next year. You put three half way decent guys around that and there is not chance it would be one of our worst seasons. This season hasn't even freaking started yet and people are saying the next one could be one of the worst ever? Last I checked this season means as much as any did before and any will after.
Yessireee.  Draftexpress is not looking too kind right now for '16.  We underestimate who might be around next year.  If that's the case, some recruits would have much more interest in coming on board.

goredmen

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2014, 12:08:26 AM »

Whos to say these seniors wont go out that same way? Isnt that really what its all about. The next game?  We havnt played a single game yet this season.

What I mean is, entering 2015 he will be in a worse spot than he was when he came here for the 10-11 season regardless of how this season goes. Even if he manages to salvage a 2015 class with some decent guys, he's still going to be in for a big rebuild starting next season. I don't think he's up for another one
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:09:11 AM by goredmen »

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2014, 01:04:32 AM »
Hammer to the Rock

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2014, 01:05:36 AM »
look at the bright side, we have plenty of PT to offer

Poison

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2014, 01:17:51 AM »
Briscoe stings. But the bigger issue with the program right now is the lack of continuity. Once these kids graduate, or jump ship for Europe or Asia or whatever, we'll be starting over yet again. Christian Jones should be good by now. Felix Balamou should be playing like an upperclassman right now, and we should be developing freshman this year who can step in contribute, or even lead next year.

But it doesn't seem like there is a plan to do any of those things.

I love a coach who can make a big splash and bring in big names, but give me a coach over a recruiter any day.

pmg911

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2014, 07:42:49 AM »
Briscoe stings. But the bigger issue with the program right now is the lack of continuity. Once these kids graduate, or jump ship for Europe or Asia or whatever, we'll be starting over yet again. Christian Jones should be good by now. Felix Balamou should be playing like an upperclassman right now, and we should be developing freshman this year who can step in contribute, or even lead next year.

I love a coach who can make a big splash and bring in big names, but give me a coach over a recruiter any day.

We had THE ideal situation in place when we had Dunlap...

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2014, 08:38:55 AM »
So let me get this straight. After watching the man coach for the last 4 years. The offense we run, the crazy substitutions, Phil Greene, walkons starting big games, all the drama, nonsensical quotes and interviews, losing a kid to Cal / Kentucky is what finally soured all of you on Lavin?

No sense complaining. I would just root for this squad to make the tourney becuase this will be our best shot for a long while. Again I predict we sneak in, but if it starts off badly look for Lavin to pull a crazy stunt to grease the skids for his departure. If we are struggling going into the BE season look for a Harrison, Obepka, Jordan or possibbly all three to get suspended.

boo3

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2014, 08:41:28 AM »
More like the straw that broke the camel's back.

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2014, 08:54:07 AM »
More like the straw that broke the camel's back.

Bet the mortgage on this, if we start off badly, no limit on Lavin stunts. If Briscoe was the straw, and things go badly be prepared for Lavin to Bludgeon that camel with a sledgehamer

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »

We had THE ideal situation in place when we had Dunlap...

No question. Add Mike Repole to that equation too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »
which apparently means nothing

Tha Kid

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2014, 10:15:34 AM »

AMase is right that we dont know yet that this wont be as good as or exceed 10-11...I would bet against it, but who knows.

That said, QC's point is exactly what I suggested in another thread.  I think Lavin is gone NO MATTER WHAT.

Scenario 1:  We do really well and have a great season - but cupboard is still bare for next year.  Lavin jumps to greener pastures, if he still wants to continue his coaching career by another 3-5+ years, before we hit rock bottom again.

Scenario 2:  We have a season like last year (or worse), and Lavin is axed.

What scenario does Lavin stay?  I guess something like where we maybe are a 9-12 seed, sneak in the dance, somehow he pulls 1-2 top 100 recruits out of his hat that we havent even been discussing, maybe he stays there - but that just seems so unlikely to me.  What top 100 recruit who we havent been all over would come here if SJU just starts putting on the full court press now?  I guess its possible there are 40-100 ranked guys out there that would like to be "the man" playing at MSG every day, but we'll see...

"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2014, 10:16:39 AM »
which apparently means nothing

It means notthing to the MCD AA caliber guys, which it shouldnt.  It COULD mean something to guys ranked between 40-100.  Let's hope to God Lavin didnt have all his eggs in the Briscoe basket and has relationships with some 40-100 guys that he can now sell on being "the" man in NY which may appeal to them.  Based on how empty our class was last year, I am betting against him having done that.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2014, 10:25:37 AM »
There is definitely a lot of blood in the water however there is still a lot of talent available in '15 class that is attainable. I'd focus attention to JaQuan Lyle. I think staff sniffed at Tyler Dorsey and didn't want to invest time wasted there but he is another option. Marcus Lovett who has flashes of great talent is another PG that staff could make great gains with fast.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2014, 10:27:15 AM »
There is definitely a lot of blood in the water however there is still a lot of talent available in '15 class that is attainable. I'd focus attention to JaQuan Lyle. I think staff sniffed at Tyler Dorsey and didn't want to invest time wasted there but he is another option. Marcus Lovett who has flashes of great talent is another PG that staff could make great gains with fast.

Lavin offered Lovett last night, according to twitter.

Foad

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2014, 10:34:42 AM »

Seven scholarships, zero recruits. Assuming Jordan and Obekpa leave we return three walkons, two redshirts, a project and a foreign exchange student. In that scenario Jessica Albavocic is arguably our best player. Even if he pulls five or six rabbits out his hat - and who believes he's going to do that, he's not even trying anymore - the roster's screwed for another 4 years.

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2014, 11:40:24 AM »
Dave - What do you mean by "add Mike Repole to the equation".

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »

We're looking at Lyle, Lovett and one of the Dorsey boys.  What is this, the pep band?