Stop Bitching

• 42 replies
Re: Stop Bitching
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
I think he has best game in Sweet 16 against Ohio State. 20 something points

When he was a Soph I was in HS and after School I was shooting around in the SI campus. Suddenly some guy told me I had to leave and I turn around and the basketball team was there for their yearly visit to SI campus.. As I was walking off the court Sproling came over and started playing one on one with me until they threw me off again. Always thought that was kind of cool.

I also remember Sproling coming up big during his senior year in a game versus Syracuse.  It was late in the season, and a game we really needed at the time.  Per my recollection, he scored the Johnnies' final 7 or 9 points to help us seal the deal.   

For some reason, I have almost no recollection of Sealy's senior year team. They lost to Tulane in 1st round that year?

Like this year’s team the seventh seeded SJU team that lost to Tulane in 1992 had been together four years: Malik Sealy, Robert “Tissue Paper” Werdann, PG Jason Buchanan and top 5 all-disappointment Chuck Sprolling were all seniors. They’d won an NIT championship as freshmen and lost to DoOk twice in the NCAA tournament, one of those the infamous Billy Singleton double technical game, the worst and most soul crushing loss in the conga line of futility that is Saint John’s basketball. Also on the roster were future NBAer Shawnelle Scott, a couple of large transfers called Lamont “You Dummy” Middleton and Mitch “Bananas” Foster, and sharpshooters Sergio Lyuk, Terrance Mullin and Lee Green. (That last bit was sarcasm as well.) As usual, I had them going to the final four. Also as usual, they lost in the first round. Instead Michigan , the 6-seed from their bracket, went to the championship game and lost to dEwk. Against Tulane Saint John’s went out to an early 10 point lead; by halftime they’d lost it and never got it back. Alleged shooting guard Chuck Sprolling was 1-7; Buchanan was 3 for 11; Scott was 2 for 9. Sealy, who was 6 of 7 in the first half shot 2 for 9 in the second and committed two turnovers in the last minute, including one that led to the winning basket. It was this team that finally convinced Louie that the game had passed him by. Which it had. He retired shortly thereafter … T

http://www.bigeastboards.com/?p=116

Weird I could tell you specific details of games during Mullin's Soph year but have no memory of that team. I would have lost a bet that Middleton and Foster were on that team and I only vaguely remember Shawnelle Scott playing with Sealy. I guess he replaced Singleton in starting lineup from year before?

I think I was either a Frosh or Soph in college that year and didn't follow as closely I guess. Also some of the things I was doing during those years probably wasn't conducive to remembering things.

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2016, 09:39:56 PM »

As I was walking off the court Sproling came over and started playing one on one with me until they threw me off again. Always thought that was kind of cool.

Legend has it that after the game, Chucky said "Little Wasju, I'm quite sure that basketball is not your game.  Perhaps you should take up baseball.."  You took your hero's advice and eventually wound up at Pace where you batted .186 and scored with numerous drunken butter faces .  The rest is history. 

Accurate?

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2016, 10:15:49 PM »

As I was walking off the court Sproling came over and started playing one on one with me until they threw me off again. Always thought that was kind of cool.

Legend has it that after the game, Chucky said "Little Wasju, I'm quite sure that basketball is not your game.  Perhaps you should take up baseball.."  You took your hero's advice and eventually wound up at Pace where you batted .186 and scored with numerous drunken butter faces .  The rest is history. 

Accurate?

No WASJU had very high sober standards.  Wasn't sober often in College but they all looked good from my perspective....