Stop Bitching

• 42 replies
Re: Stop Bitching
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 01:58:04 PM »
Where did these Lovett leaving rumors start? At worst he will be a backup pg playing around 25min a game. More likely we will see a lot of 3 and sometimes 4 guard lineups

Marco Baldi as usual. It's not even worth discussing since it makes absolutely no sense for the kid. He loses a year transferring anywhere, he gets all the freedom he wants here, he plays big minutes, and he plays on a big stage. If a kid in that situation wants to leave, then why would we want him to stay? We haven't lost a key player to transfer in a decade--and even that kid, Calhoun,  had a baby and heard the footsteps after being recruited over with Justin Burrell, DJ Kennedy, Paris Horne, and Sean Evans coming a few months later to join Mase Jr. -- who was already doubling his scoring and rebounding #s.

I hated to see Larry Wright leave

1. Berry leaving early
2. Artest leaving early
3. Cook leaving early
4. Wright transferring
Biggest player defections in school history

Biggest defection was self-inflicted - when Lou pulled Gary Payton's scholarship a few minutes before he was about to announce that he was as choosing SJU.  Would have been a great understudy to MJ in 86-87 and eventually could have made a great NCAA run when the fab 4 (Sealy/Werdann/Sproling/Buchanan) were sophomores in 89-90, with JWill an the anchor.  Wonder who specifically called Lou to say they would be pushing their players away from SJU if Lou started recruiting across the country?
Probably no one since the 2 guards Lou recruited over Payton that year Elander Lewis and Marcus Broadnax were from Albany and Florida respectively.

Doesn't mean it had to be a guard.   Might have been JWill (which would beg the question - why not jettison Lewis or Broadnax instead of Payton if Lou needed to keep JWill). Here's Payton's quote on the matter:

“My coach, Fred Noel, came over while I was at the podium and whispered in my ear ‘come here for a second’ and took me back into the office,” Payton said during a visit to the Hall of Fame in early August. “I picked up the phone and it was Lou Carnesecca, who was the coach at St. John’s at the time. He said he was very sorry, he could not take me, and he wasn’t going to offer me a scholarship because he had a guy from out east that he had to take.”

I thought Broadnax was going to be good. Add him to Derek Brown and Larry Wright as guys I thought were going to be good who fell to different degrees short of that.
Louie as a gimmick started Lewis and would then play him for only 5 minutes and then put Matt Brust at the 2. Broadnax was never given much of a chance at all.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 01:58:43 PM by we are sju »

boo3

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 02:21:28 PM »
Thought Broadnax was from Colorado?

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 02:28:59 PM »

You are thinking of Chuckie Sproling who if legend is true, Louie never actually saw play before he showed up here.

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 02:36:42 PM »
Where did these Lovett leaving rumors start? At worst he will be a backup pg playing around 25min a game. More likely we will see a lot of 3 and sometimes 4 guard lineups

Marco Baldi as usual. It's not even worth discussing since it makes absolutely no sense for the kid. He loses a year transferring anywhere, he gets all the freedom he wants here, he plays big minutes, and he plays on a big stage. If a kid in that situation wants to leave, then why would we want him to stay? We haven't lost a key player to transfer in a decade--and even that kid, Calhoun,  had a baby and heard the footsteps after being recruited over with Justin Burrell, DJ Kennedy, Paris Horne, and Sean Evans coming a few months later to join Mase Jr. -- who was already doubling his scoring and rebounding #s.

1. Berry leaving early
2. Artest leaving early
3. Cook leaving early
4. Wright transferring

Barkley

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 02:39:12 PM »

1. Berry leaving early
2. Artest leaving early
3. Cook leaving early
4. Wright transferring

Barkley

Harkless and Darius Miles

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 02:39:39 PM »
And I thought I was the master of great thread titles. Well done Wasju.  :up:

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »

1. Berry leaving early
2. Artest leaving early
3. Cook leaving early
4. Wright transferring

Barkley

He had no choice

wpc77

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »

1. Berry leaving early
2. Artest leaving early
3. Cook leaving early
4. Wright transferring

Barkley

He had no choice

Yup!  The best was the coach K defense of Barkley (http://nypost.com/2000/02/26/coach-k-begs-duke-fans-to-lay-off-erick/).  Freudian overcompensation at its finest! 

pmg911

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 03:47:38 PM »

You are thinking of Chuckie Sproling who if legend is true, Louie never actually saw play before he showed up here.

True

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 12:05:56 AM »

1. Berry leaving early
2. Artest leaving early
3. Cook leaving early
4. Wright transferring

Biggest defection was self-inflicted - when Lou pulled Gary Payton's scholarship a few minutes before he was about to announce that he was as choosing SJU.  Would have been a great understudy to MJ in 86-87 and eventually could have made a great NCAA run when the fab 4 (Sealy/Werdann/Sproling/Buchanan) were sophomores in 89-90, with JWill an the anchor.  Wonder who specifically called Lou to say they would be pushing their players away from SJU if Lou started recruiting across the country?
Probably no one since the 2 guards Lou recruited over Payton that year Elander Lewis and Marcus Broadnax were from Albany and Florida respectively.

Doesn't mean it had to be a guard.   Might have been JWill (which would beg the question - why not jettison Lewis or Broadnax instead of Payton if Lou needed to keep JWill). Here's Payton's quote on the matter:

“My coach, Fred Noel, came over while I was at the podium and whispered in my ear ‘come here for a second’ and took me back into the office,” Payton said during a visit to the Hall of Fame in early August. “I picked up the phone and it was Lou Carnesecca, who was the coach at St. John’s at the time. He said he was very sorry, he could not take me, and he wasn’t going to offer me a scholarship because he had a guy from out east that he had to take.”

I thought Broadnax was going to be good. Add him to Derek Brown and Larry Wright as guys I thought were going to be good who fell to different degrees short of that.
Louie as a gimmick started Lewis and would then play him for only 5 minutes and then put Matt Brust at the 2. Broadnax was never given much of a chance at all.
Wow, we are in complete agreement on all of your points. I recall watching a HS all star game where Lewis and Broadnax played together and were throwing on the money length of the court passes and thought we were set in the back court for the next four years. Didn't think Lewis got enough of a chance either.

derk

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2016, 09:36:03 AM »

True

Louie heard about his 75 point game and fell in love.

Poison

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 10:34:55 AM »
Yes, stop bitching. Instead, bend over.

boo3

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 11:18:03 AM »

True

Correct, good catch WASJU.   But Sproling scored 82 in a HS game ( as legend had it). Louie had to sign him. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:18:29 AM by boo3 »

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 11:38:22 AM »

True

Correct, good catch WASJU.   But Sproling scored 82 in a HS game ( as legend had it). Louie had to sign him. 

Sproling became a fan of St. John's after watching 'em beat Kentucky in person during the '85 NCAA Tournament Regional in Denver (of course, Sproling's hometown).

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 12:15:31 PM »

True

My recollection is 74 but what the hey, let's see if we can get it over 100.  ;)

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 12:19:59 PM »

True

My recollection is 74 but what the hey, let's see if we can get it over 100.  ;)

I think he has best game in Sweet 16 against Ohio State. 20 something points

When he was a Soph I was in HS and after School I was shooting around in the SI campus. Suddenly some guy told me I had to leave and I turn around and the basketball team was there for their yearly visit to SI campus.. As I was walking off the court Sproling came over and started playing one on one with me until they threw me off again. Always thought that was kind of cool.

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 01:33:50 PM »

When he was a Soph I was in HS and after School I was shooting around in the SI campus. Suddenly some guy told me I had to leave and I turn around and the basketball team was there for their yearly visit to SI campus.. As I was walking off the court Sproling came over and started playing one on one with me until they threw me off again. Always thought that was kind of cool.

I also remember Sproling coming up big during his senior year in a game versus Syracuse.  It was late in the season, and a game we really needed at the time.  Per my recollection, he scored the Johnnies' final 7 or 9 points to help us seal the deal.   
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:34:45 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 01:47:15 PM »

I also remember Sproling coming up big during his senior year in a game versus Syracuse.  It was late in the season, and a game we really needed at the time.  Per my recollection, he scored the Johnnies' final 7 or 9 points to help us seal the deal.   

Yup I was at that game, hit the game winner.  SJU led by double digits in the 2nd half Syracuse stormed back and took a late lead, Sproling hit a game winning jumper.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/20/sports/college-basketball-sproling-s-heroics-rescue-redmen.html

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 01:59:47 PM »

For some reason, I have almost no recollection of Sealy's senior year team. They lost to Tulane in 1st round that year?

Foad

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 02:31:36 PM »

For some reason, I have almost no recollection of Sealy's senior year team. They lost to Tulane in 1st round that year?

Like this year’s team the seventh seeded SJU team that lost to Tulane in 1992 had been together four years: Malik Sealy, Robert “Tissue Paper” Werdann, PG Jason Buchanan and top 5 all-disappointment Chuck Sprolling were all seniors. They’d won an NIT championship as freshmen and lost to DoOk twice in the NCAA tournament, one of those the infamous Billy Singleton double technical game, the worst and most soul crushing loss in the conga line of futility that is Saint John’s basketball. Also on the roster were future NBAer Shawnelle Scott, a couple of large transfers called Lamont “You Dummy” Middleton and Mitch “Bananas” Foster, and sharpshooters Sergio Lyuk, Terrance Mullin and Lee Green. (That last bit was sarcasm as well.) As usual, I had them going to the final four. Also as usual, they lost in the first round. Instead Michigan , the 6-seed from their bracket, went to the championship game and lost to dEwk. Against Tulane Saint John’s went out to an early 10 point lead; by halftime they’d lost it and never got it back. Alleged shooting guard Chuck Sprolling was 1-7; Buchanan was 3 for 11; Scott was 2 for 9. Sealy, who was 6 of 7 in the first half shot 2 for 9 in the second and committed two turnovers in the last minute, including one that led to the winning basket. It was this team that finally convinced Louie that the game had passed him by. Which it had. He retired shortly thereafter … T

http://www.bigeastboards.com/?p=116