Ron Artest, top 10 out of NYC?

• 23 replies

derk

Re: Ron Artest, top 10 out of NYC?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 09:07:18 PM »
Hard to argue with the list above but I agree that Artest over HOF'er Roger Brown is a tough call. And a name omitted from my also eligible list is Mel Davis, who's close to a top five all time at SJ. That said I have no idea what kind of HS player he was. It's something of a shame that I'm too young to comment on the old guys but too old to appreciate the younger ones and that there's almost no one here who understands the history underlying the program.

Mel Davis came out of the womb with a ball in his hands, jumping and grabbing every ball that he could get. Truly a great rebounder high school, college a, wherever

derk

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 09:12:25 PM »
Mel Davis came out of the womb with a ball in his hands, jumping and grabbing every ball that he could get. Truly a great rebounder high school, college a, wherever

And speaking of Mel Davis I didn't see George Johnson on that list. He and Bernard King put on a unbelievable display against each other, each scoring 30 + 20 +boards

Poison

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2019, 10:09:17 AM »
This top 60 from NYC list made the rounds last summer

https://www.slamonline.com/the-magazine/top-60-hoopers-come-new-york-%F0%9F%97%BD/

This is a random list. They’ve tossed in some pretty average players. Slam has been a trash bag since it’s started, but including Isaiah Washington and not Erick Barkley and Omar Cook is senseless and thoughtless.

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 12:21:37 AM »
Adolph Schayes