Ron Artest, top 10 out of NYC?

• 23 replies
Ron Artest, top 10 out of NYC?
« on: June 04, 2019, 05:07:58 PM »
I have not seen the Showtime documentary yet but heard him on WFAN last week. Sounds like he's getting it together. The guy loves NYC ball and is tough as fck. The guy you do not want to see guarding you. My question is, looking back at his high school, college and NBA career, is he a top 10 player out of NYC. I say yes

Johnny23

Re: Ron Artest, top 10 out of NYC?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 05:39:05 PM »
I have not seen the Showtime documentary yet but heard him on WFAN last week. Sounds like he's getting it together. The guy loves NYC ball and is tough as fck. The guy you do not want to see guarding you. My question is, looking back at his high school, college and NBA career, is he a top 10 player out of NYC. I say yes

Top 10 All-Time NYC just off the top of my head without doing any research in no specific order after Kareem:

-Kareem
-Connie Hawkins
-Marbury
-Mullin
-Kemba Walker
-Bernard King
-Billy Cunningham
-Kenny Anderson
-Tiny Archibald
-Artest?

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 05:50:12 PM »
Top 10 All-Time NYC just off the top of my head without doing any research in no specific order after Kareem:

-Kareem
-Connie Hawkins
-Marbury
-Mullin
-Kemba Walker
-Bernard King
-Billy Cunningham
-Kenny Anderson
-Tiny Archibald
-Artest?

He's right there

Foad

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 07:15:30 PM »

-Kareem
-Connie Hawkins
-Marbury
-Mullin
-Kemba Walker
-Bernard King
-Billy Cunningham
-Kenny Anderson
-Tiny Archibald
-Artest?

Very nice list, although absent are Brooklyn born Michael Jordan and Carmelo Anthony, although maybe they don't count having left the city so early.

Having Googled: Lenny Wilkins > Kemba Walker, and from another era Bob Cousy, Richie Guerin and Dolph Shayes might figure. And Roger Brown deserves mention. And if NYC included East Meadow, Julius Erving is top 10 and of course Matt Dougherty.

Would be interested see a list of top 10 LI players. After Julius how fast do we drop off to Wayne McKoy and Wally Szczerbiak?

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 09:15:23 PM »

Johnny23

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 09:20:00 PM »
Very nice list, although absent are Brooklyn born Michael Jordan and Carmelo Anthony, although maybe they don't count having left the city so early.

Having Googled: Lenny Wilkins > Kemba Walker, and from another era Bob Cousy, Richie Guerin and Dolph Shayes might figure. And Roger Brown deserves mention. And if NYC included East Meadow, Julius Erving is top 10 and of course Matt Dougherty.

Would be interested see a list of top 10 LI players. After Julius how fast do we drop off to Wayne McKoy and Wally Szczerbiak?

Yeah that's why I excluded Jordan and Melo from the list. Good call on Wilkens and Cousy, both strong cases. LI with a quick drop off after the Dr. no doubt, but still some very good talent. Gugliotta, Danny Green, Tobias Harris to name a few.

cjfish

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 11:12:25 PM »

He's right there

Roger Brown, Lenny Wilkens

Rodman

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 02:24:08 AM »
This top 60 from NYC list made the rounds last summer

https://www.slamonline.com/the-magazine/top-60-hoopers-come-new-york-%F0%9F%97%BD/

Good list.  Mark Jackson, Kenny Smith and Lamar Odom have to be up there.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 12:07:45 PM »
Quit suprised that nobody has mentioned Malik Sealy.  I'd put him in over Artest

sju89tr

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 03:32:29 PM »
Quit suprised that nobody has mentioned Malik Sealy.  I'd put him in over Artest

I don't think you can, despite the his early death, he was not the NBA player Artest was.

sju89tr

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 03:32:59 PM »
Can't forget Pearl Washington

redslope

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 04:00:56 PM »
Interesting question/great discussion piece--how much of a career do you consider.  Through HS; through College; through Pro's.  Considering all 3 Ronnie might get there as getting the most out of the least because of his tremendous desire.  Where is The Truth?  Where is Cousy? 

Foad

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 04:12:03 PM »
Can't forget Pearl Washington

The criteria for the list is a little vague - are the best players the ones who went on to greater things or the ones who exceled in high school - but some also can't forgets are (thank you google)

Charlie Scott (HOF)
Olden Polynice
Satch Sanders (HOF)
Sebastian Telfair
Jamal Mashburn
Fly Williams
World B. Free
Lloyd Daniels
Walter Berry
Rafer Alston
Earl Manigault
Lenny Cooke

sju89tr

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 04:38:00 PM »
The criteria for the list is a little vague - are the best players the ones who went on to greater things or the ones who exceled in high school - but some also can't forgets are (thank you google)

I think you need to look at the total picture, therefore, Pearl for example might not make the list. Although his high school and college career were stellar.

Wilkins, Alcinder, Mullin, Cousy, Bernard King, Cunningham, Archibald, World B Free, Scott, Sanders, Artest would be my top 11

If we expand to LI, Julius is in there of course   

cjfish

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 07:07:59 PM »

I think you need to look at the total picture, therefore, Pearl for example might not make the list. Although his high school and college career were stellar.

Wilkins, Alcinder, Mullin, Cousy, Bernard King, Cunningham, Archibald, World B Free, Scott, Sanders, Artest would be my top 11

If we expand to LI, Julius is in there of course   

The Hawk and the man of a thousand moves (brown) both are easily n the top 10.   

Foad

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 09:06:57 PM »
The Hawk and the man of a thousand moves (brown) both are easily n the top 10.   

Hard to argue with the list above but I agree that Artest over HOF'er Roger Brown is a tough call. And a name omitted from my also eligible list is Mel Davis, who's close to a top five all time at SJ. That said I have no idea what kind of HS player he was. It's something of a shame that I'm too young to comment on the old guys but too old to appreciate the younger ones and that there's almost no one here who understands the history underlying the program.

Foad

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 09:12:44 PM »
Yeah that's why I excluded Jordan and Melo from the list. Good call on Wilkens and Cousy, both strong cases. LI with a quick drop off after the Dr. no doubt, but still some very good talent. Gugliotta, Danny Green, Tobias Harris to name a few.

Having thought about it, from SJ at least: Zendon, David Russell, Shelton Jones and the Bill Wennington

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 10:10:07 PM »
Mark Jackson needs to be the list too. high school great, great college career and one of the all time nba assist leaders

pmg911

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 10:41:37 AM »
Where is Jamal Mashburn..?

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 03:38:58 PM »
In no specific order and going by overall basketball career -

Kareem (HOF)
Lenny Wilkens (HOF)
Connie Hawkins (HOF)
Chris Mullin (HOF)
Bernard King (HOF)
Bob Cousy (HOF)
Billy Cunningham (HOF)
Tiny Archibald (HOF)
Mark Jackson
Lamar Odom
Kenny Smith
Jamal Mashburn
Kemba Walker
Kenny Anderson

**just my opinion but I think those guys above all had better career then Artest