Upcoming 5 Game Stretch

• 51 replies
Re: Upcoming 5 Game Stretch
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2019, 01:52:06 AM »
If you want to be literal and look at 12-0 vs 10-2 there’s no point in discussing it. You’re smart enough to know not every game is equal. Both were successful slates. We didn’t play anyone as good as WVU pre BE last season.  We were supposed to win those 12 games and I was extremely pleased they did. We know how easy it is to slip up and loose one you shouldn’t. Mullin should get a ton if credit for winning those games but in my opinion he didn’t set up his team for late season success. He didn’t develop his bench or an identity and his starters got ran into the ground.

I think the job Coach Anderson has done this OOC has been more than commendable. He’s developed a bench and has had 9-10 contributors in more than a few games. He’s created an identity of pressure defense and crashing the glass. We lost a close one we should have won and won a close one we shoulda lost. The other 9 wins were comfortable double digit wins.
We don't have to guess at which seasons out of conference schedule has been stronger. There are metrics to help with that.

You're right. CFC has much more readily gone deeper into his bench than not only Mullin but any St. John's coach I've ever seen. I can see how this could pay dividends down the road and hope that it does. The pressure defense was very strong last night and ate Albany alive. Obviously, the offensive rebounding has improved as well. Who among us doesn't love put back slam dunks?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 01:55:20 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2019, 01:58:00 AM »
Get to a game and see it for yourself. 
You haven't been paying attention. I've posted many times already this year about my live experience at Alumni hall. Most recently today about yesterday.

goredmen

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2019, 10:03:01 PM »
Arizona -11

QuanMan

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2019, 03:59:46 PM »
At 10-2 regardless of our SOS I'd say that we are all pleasantly surprised with the collective effort and discipline that IMA has refreshed this program with. The overall attitude and culture reset that has been instilled is beyond expectation. Everyone contributes selflessly, the coaching improvement is obvious.

With that being said, what are your expectations for the upcoming 5 game stretch:

12/21 Arizona (Neutral)
12/31 Butler (CA)
1/5     @Xavier
1/8     @GTown
1/11    Depaul (MSG)

To me anything north of .500 is gravy. Potentially grabbing (3) Quad 1 wins sitting at 13-4 or 12-5 will have us honestly looking at getting into early bubble conversation. Our deep bench should give GTown's 7 man rotation fits. @X, DePaul, Butler and AZ will not be easy. Big time 3.5 weeks ahead for IMA.

--Now at 11-2 looking ahead if we grab our 3rd Top25 win, 1st Top15 win against Butler next week we would definitely be a shoe in within Bracketology's everywhere. Can not underestimate how pivotal of a win this could be for the resume.

--@Xavier is the hardest matchup within the next two weeks IMO. They are physical, older and they crash the boards.

--Our depth should give GTown and Butler both a very hard time as those games roll along.

--DePaul MSG matinee would garner a good crowd if we're 13-4, 14-3 heading into that. If we go 3-1 over this stretch we control our own March Madness destiny.
Section 3
Section 116

cjfish

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2019, 01:40:07 PM »
--Now at 11-2 looking ahead if we grab our 3rd Top25 win, 1st Top15 win against Butler next week we would definitely be a shoe in within Bracketology's everywhere. Can not underestimate how pivotal of a win this could be for the resume.

--@Xavier is the hardest matchup within the next two weeks IMO. They are physical, older and they crash the boards.

--Our depth should give GTown and Butler both a very hard time as those games roll along.

--DePaul MSG matinee would garner a good crowd if we're 13-4, 14-3 heading into that. If we go 3-1 over this stretch we control our own March Madness destiny.

2-2 first 4 leagues. If Heron comes back could be better. Defense will keep us in most games.   Now if we could only shoot a good percentage.

Poison

« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »

2-2 first 4 leagues. If Heron comes back could be better. Defense will keep us in most games.   Now if we could only shoot a good percentage.

Heron returning might hurt the team. Williams passes the ball, maybe even too often. Heron hardly ever gives it up. I think Williams is more likely to improve this season. No need to rush Heron back. Maybe by sitting and watching, he’ll begin to see how his style of play is the main reason why we lost to UVM and Arizona State.

cjfish

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2019, 05:53:02 PM »
Heron returning might hurt the team. Williams passes the ball, maybe even too often. Heron hardly ever gives it up. I think Williams is more likely to improve this season. No need to rush Heron back. Maybe by sitting and watching, he’ll begin to see how his style of play is the main reason why we lost to UVM and Arizona State.

Could be but his scoring is needed once league starts. Your observation could be right....they have been better without him. Whether this is addition by subtraction or a product of maturation is up in th air

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2019, 06:37:38 PM »
Happy Holidays all. Team desperately needs Heron on both sides of the court, irrespective of us winning a big game without him. Seton Hall beat MD after losing to a so-so Iowa St and getting embarrassed by Rutgers. You think if they win their first BE game without Powell they don’t desperately want and need him back?  Heron isn’t as good game in, game out of course as Powell is, but we need Heron to have a successful BE season. Even his floor is the second best offensive weapon we have, his ceiling is the best offensive player we have, and he adds value on defense, the glass and taking pressure off other kids.

TONYD3

« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2019, 07:06:30 PM »
I can’t wait to have Herron back.

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2019, 09:24:32 PM »
Heron will be great to have back, because his 15ppg and solid defense is needed. But, I get the argument that the team is more cohesive with him out. He can become a black hole on offense at times. Especially against higher level competition.

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2019, 10:08:20 PM »
I want you to be right, but I think we will be totally outclassed.

Marillac, told you. Don't doubt again.
 :D

Poison

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2019, 10:28:39 PM »
Happy Holidays all. Team desperately needs Heron on both sides of the court, irrespective of us winning a big game without him. Seton Hall beat MD after losing to a so-so Iowa St and getting embarrassed by Rutgers. You think if they win their first BE game without Powell they don’t desperately want and need him back?  Heron isn’t as good game in, game out of course as Powell is, but we need Heron to have a successful BE season. Even his floor is the second best offensive weapon we have, his ceiling is the best offensive player we have, and he adds value on defense, the glass and taking pressure off other kids.

I don’t think we desperately need him. Saturday proved that. Of course, we want him back, but he’s a senior, and he’s gotta cut down on the black hole garbage. His ceiling is definitely high. We haven’t seen any signs of it yet. Hopefully soon.