for those that want norm back...

• 37 replies
Re: for those that want norm back...
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 01:54:01 PM »

Question:  paul hewitt is undeniably a better recruiter than norm.  He's made a title game.  Why do you prefer norm to him?

Hewitt is a great recruiter with a few pros on his roster every year and still cant win? He had that nice final 4 run, but than fell flat on his face with the returning upperclassmen,BJ Elder,Jarret Jack and Luke Scencsher. And he hasnt don dck since. No thanks, need a bigger name

sjd8886

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »
What makes you think Hewitt would come here? I admit I'm so scared of the University's capability of making the right executive decision for the future.

me too...but now they know they are under the microscope...i dont think they would be stupid enough to hire amaker or someone with no experience...this program is at the point where one more poor decision could lead to the programs death...ive said it before, a lot of teams go through a period like this in their history...but they pull out eventually...this is where we need to pull out and start winning...then hopefully, one day soon, this will all be a bad joke

boo3

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 02:00:27 PM »
 There has to be some middle ground between the worst coach in BE history and a bigger name that Paul Hewitt.  Lets be realistic here.  If i can't date Bar Rafaeli i'm gonna keep bangin the fat lady from NJ.  Come on!

sjd8886

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 02:05:46 PM »
haha...thats the problem though...people want to go from the fat lady to bar rafaeli...this program is a laughing stock and people wouldnt at least want a winning league record and to be on the bubble right? yea, screw seth greenberg or knight or whatever competent person would still want to take over this program

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
IF Norm is not coming back I want the best coach out there. I dont want a guy who recruits NBA players and still loses and I definitely dont want a guy who we have to listen b itch and moan every MArch that his team didnt make the NCAA tourny and had 23 wins because he played a booty schedule.

boo3

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »
IF Norm is not coming back I want the best coach out there. I dont want a guy who recruits NBA players and still loses and I definitely dont want a guy who we have to listen b itch and moan every MArch that his team didnt make the NCAA tourny and had 23 wins because he played a booty schedule.

So after being perfectly fine with lousy Norm ball for 6 years, now only Donovan would be an acceptable replacement?  Makes no sense.  I agree that you should try to land the top dog. But we are dealing with reality and St.john's here.  Any of the guys mentioned woud be a huge improvement over Norm.  At thats what we need.

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »

So after being perfectly fine with lousy Norm ball for 6 years, now only Donovan would be an acceptable replacement?  Makes no sense.  I agree that you should try to land the top dog. But we are dealing with reality and St.john's here.  Any of the guys mentioned woud be a huge improvement over Norm.  At thats what we need.

Like I said, IF Norm is gone he needs to be replaced with a huge name. Thats my opinion, you dont have to agree. Hewitt might be a great recuiter, but than agains so is pretty much every coach in the Big east.

Tha Kid

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 02:38:41 PM »
I don't understand the logic to staying with a proven mediocre coach unless we can get a HHOFer.  What is wrong with a proven coach who gets you to the NCAA 1 of every 2 years and brings in NBA players?  That's not worht the change?  Paul Hewitt is supposedly every bit as nice as Norm...
"I drink and I know things"

boo3

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »
I don't understand the logic to staying with a proven mediocre coach unless we can get a HHOFer.  What is wrong with a proven coach who gets you to the NCAA 1 of every 2 years and brings in NBA players?  That's not worht the change?  Paul Hewitt is supposedly every bit as nice as Norm...

Its his opinion Kid, let him be.   :D

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 02:41:19 PM »

Do you think a step sideways is gonna cut it in the Big East? We need Ron Roberts in the fold. I trust PMG's opinion on the kid and from the sounds of it, hes on the fast track

boo3

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 02:43:20 PM »

Do you think a step sideways is gonna cut it in the Big East? We need Ron Roberts in the fold. I trust PMG's opinion on the kid and from the sounds of it, hes on the fast track

Fred Hill is a step sideways.  Anyone else is an upgrade

Tha Kid

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 02:44:40 PM »

Baldi - explain how Norm - a guy who's best season ever is 17-16 and NIT 6 seed, is "sideways step" to Paul Hewitt - who consistently has top recruits coming, makes the tourney 1 out of every 2 years, has made a final four, and is a 10 seed in the tourney THIS year?

Ron Roberts would LOVE to play for paul hewitt.  And if he wouldn't, I guarantee Hewitt has a much higher recruit signed up for Tech that will bolt for St. John's.

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 02:49:21 PM »

Baldi - explain how Norm - a guy who's best season ever is 17-16 and NIT 6 seed, is "sideways step" to Paul Hewitt - who consistently has top recruits coming, makes the tourney 1 out of every 2 years, has made a final four, and is a 10 seed in the tourney THIS year?

Ron Roberts would LOVE to play for paul hewitt.  And if he wouldn't, I guarantee Hewitt has a much higher recruit signed up for Tech that will bolt for St. John's.

St Johns is going to the tourny next year no matter who the coach is.Would you agree? I think Norm deserves that chance. Like I and baiter boo said, its just my opinion. And if your making the tourny every other year with a few pros on your roster, is that not underachieving?

boo3

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 02:51:55 PM »
HAHAHA.   Pot meet kettle.   

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 02:57:52 PM »
Red2395, you have stated exactly my feelings toward Norm.  I, too, am a fence-sitter.  Norm is exactly the type of person that I would want to represent my alma mater.  I also feel that he is close to turning the corner. Admittedly, I have believed that before and been proven wrong---so I am somewhat skeptical.  I do believe that this team will make the NCAAs next year. I predicted NIT with a few more wins this year so I am not as disappointed as those who had us in the Dance this year.  If we get in next year, I believe recruiting would pick up.

It has taken longer than it should have but I really believe Norm would eventually succeed.

Tha Kid

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 02:58:54 PM »

St Johns is going to the tourny next year no matter who the coach is.Would you agree? I think Norm deserves that chance. Like I and baiter boo said, its just my opinion. And if your making the tourny every other year with a few pros on your roster, is that not underachieving?

No I wouldn't agree that we make the tourney next year with Norm. We may, but I'm not convinced.

I'm more concerned with the ships.  I'm sure you would agree that there is no reason to believe Norm will bring in the talent, nor distribute the scholarship well, nor win with a young team.

Hewitt has done ALL of the above.  Recruiting is his biggest asset.  The 9 ships open is Norm's fault.  He needs someone to clean up that mess at the very least.  Hewitt could do that as well as anyone.  Wouldn't you agree?

Also, isn't underachieving but still making the tourney better than underachieving and not making the tourney?

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »
I would normally chime in here to support the, way too obvious it shouldn't even have to be mentioned, Hewitt over Norm argument...

But the kid is schooling Baldi on the topic way too easily by himself.

Tha Kid

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 02:56:09 PM »
Paul Hewitt would be a great hire.