The Garden

• 36 replies
Re: The Garden
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 05:12:34 PM »
Wasnt at last nights game and running late for our game today, but as mentioned on tv it at least sounded, like az fans were much better represented due to the UofA chant. I love the "lets go johnnies" but its a bit sing songy.  Think we need somethingmore punctuated like a simple "saint johns" clap clap.

kob24

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 07:19:56 PM »
wasju the answer is very easy. fans just need to show up

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 01:40:29 AM »
I was behind the Pitt bench, the basket opposite Hardy's layup and I was surrounded by Pitt people. In fact  when I went for a beer at Stouts after the game when they showed the ESPN replay of Hardy stepping out of bounds Stout erupted in boos. Like I said I thought 50/50. But it probably depends on whwere you were sitting. But I think we can all agree that MSG is not a real home court advantage.
Hardy did NOT step out of bounds-heels were off the floor. Problem is 5 opposing fans reach the same decibal level as 5,000 St J fans.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 05:10:35 PM »
We can't go by attendance, we have to go by what is the attendance and interest this year compared to last year. St. John's has been bad for a while so that solid fan base is not there, it will take time to rebuild...Anybody when the Yanks were really bad in the early 90's and nobody came to the game? It will take time, but we are headed in the right direction. What also doesn't help is that the casual fan in NYC cannot identify with this team left. Hardy did not become a household name until mid point of last year and now he is gone. As the season goes on, and this team improves fans will start coming back...Maybe not as fast as we want to, but it will come back. Students and Alumni alike need to continue to wear our teams name with pride, spread the word and rag on our  friends for not jumping on the band wagon and attend the games. Think about how much St. John's is mentioned on ESPN, and how many articles are written in the local papers. The signs are positive, but we have to be patient...If this doesn't convince anybody, just think it could be worst, we could be Penn State.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 12:35:19 AM »
.... I wasn't there ...

I'm not picking on We Was SJU, but I always find it amusing when a post complaining about poor attendance and/or fan support starts off with the words "I wasn't there"

Just saying.

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 02:21:18 PM »
.... I wasn't there ...

I'm not picking on We Was SJU, but I always find it amusing when a post complaining about poor attendance and/or fan support starts off with the words "I wasn't there"

Just saying.

Problem also is that these are hard economic times. If someone spends money, they are going to be quite select of what they spend it on.  If I am suffering financially, I am not going to watch a game that a. is quite expensive and b. going to cause me agita (is that Italian?) One may be more inclined to pay for a good product wouldn't you think?  However, that be said, there is NO EXCUSE FOR POOR STUDENT ATTENDANCE.  1. What do they have to do anyway.  2.  Their tickets are dirt cheap!!

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »
I think the students do a good job showing up for the CA games.  My section is usually filled with them.  A late Thusday game at MSG might be tough for some, especially if they have class the next morning or a paper due before the holiday break.  The rest of us (old guys) don't do our part.  Even the ones who show up are too passive.  No one stands to cheer during introductions or at any other point during the game.  It is frustrating that my back is breaking in the upper section, while the lower seats are empty.  I tried to upgrade (at a higher cost) and was told that they were sold out.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 10:19:14 PM »
As of right now if you look at other college games arenas are still empty so I do not think there is too much to worry about. The Johnny's need to continue to be competitive in games...Remember the Jets and Giants are still in the middle of their playoff runs. Unlike other Colleges towns that having nothing going on except their team. Considering that we do not have a marquee player from last year and before last year we were almost  unwatchable we are doing well...We just have to continue to build on the momentum that we have created....
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 10:47:17 AM »
Celtics- If Hardy would have pulled out a gun and shot the 5 Pitt defenders in the leg before he made the layup and there was a no call I would have been fine with it. He did step out though. In my llifetime as a SJU fan I have seen more calls go against them so I am just marking that down in the books as one for the good guys. IMO we are still owe a bunch more.

RSHF- my knock is on the students. If they are counting on my attendance they are in trouble I go to 3 or 4 games a year now tops. 

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 08:41:23 PM »
Celtics- If Hardy would have pulled out a gun and shot the 5 Pitt defenders in the leg before he made the layup and there was a no call I would have been fine with it. He did step out though. In my llifetime as a SJU fan I have seen more calls go against them so I am just marking that down in the books as one for the good guys. IMO we are still owe a bunch more.

RSHF- my knock is on the students. If they are counting on my attendance they are in trouble I go to 3 or 4 games a year now tops.
Camera is 2 dimensional-he was pivoting on his toes-chances are much greater his heels were off the floor-the ref was right there-I will go to my grave believing he was NOT OUT OF BOUNDS!

Moose

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »

Camera is 2 dimensional-he was pivoting on his toes-chances are much greater his heels were off the floor-the ref was right there-I will go to my grave believing he was NOT OUT OF BOUNDS!

Agreed.  My seats are alongside the baseline and slightly elevated.  Saw same thin
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 11:34:01 PM »

Agreed.  My seats are alongside the baseline and slightly elevated.  Saw same thin

he was inbounds.

MCNPA

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 09:46:49 AM »
Speaking of early season attendance, one prominent reporter tweeted at the start of the Texas vs NCSU game yesterday something along the lines that there must have been only 200 people at the game including employees without exaggeration.  We shouldn't complain.  We had a healthy 9K+ the other day which is fine.

NYCoffey

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 09:51:12 AM »
Speaking of early season attendance, one prominent reporter tweeted at the start of the Texas vs NCSU game yesterday something along the lines that there must have been only 200 people at the game including employees without exaggeration.  We shouldn't complain.  We had a healthy 9K+ the other day which is fine.

I think it was this tweet from Borzello that you are referring to.

jeffborzello Jeff Borzello
I think I just counted everyone here at the NC State-Texas game. I got to 167.

Moose

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 10:01:06 AM »

Where was the game?

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 10:21:19 AM »

Where was the game?

IZOD Center in the Meadowlands.

Moose

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »

Where was the game?

IZOD Center in the Meadowlands.

Surprising for Texas fans.  Guess they couldnt navigate their bulls out to NJ.