The Garden

• 36 replies
The Garden
« on: November 18, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »
I am doing a complete 180 and thinking maybe we should limit our games there to only tournaments and one or two big games a year. I wasn't there but on TV it sounded like an away game. Arizona basketball travels that well for away games across country in Nov? For those who attended was it as bad as it seemed on TV?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:19:53 PM by we are sju »

sju89tr

Re: The Garden
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 01:17:40 PM »
We don't control the tickets for these events so I would not be concerned how many AZ fans were there 

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 01:20:30 PM »
It is just amazing that it seems that no matter who we play it seems like we are the road team. I think that actually might not be great for recruiting.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 01:22:27 PM »
We don't control the tickets for these events so I would not be concerned how many AZ fans were there

This is a tourney not a home game.  NIT, pre-season NIT and CVC are tourney's that happen to be played at the same venue that SJU has home games.  But SJU does not control the ticket sales.

More importantly schools with a lot of basketball tradition and with huge national followings (UK, Kansas, UNC, Arizona, UCLA, Duke etc.) are going to be well represented at these events even if they are thousands of miles away from their campus.  This area is the hub of alumni from all over the country.  It is just the way it is.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »
Just because this isn't a home game doesnt mean that STJ shouldn't promote it.  They choose not to.  Thats the price you pay then.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 01:28:13 PM »
I am just saying to limit our games there outside of preseason tourney's. It becomes a farce when we called the Garden our"home" but every team we play has more fans. I would limit the amount of games to 2 or and play all of our BE games at Louie Arena. I can't remember the last time I was at the Garden and it felt like a home game. Maybe I am wrong but it is kind of embarrasing IMO

Moose

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 01:32:30 PM »
I am just saying to limit our games there outside of preseason tourney's. It becomes a farce when we called the Garden our"home" but every team we play has more fans. I would limit the amount of games to 2 or and play all of our BE games at Louie Arena. I can't remember the last time I was at the Garden and it felt like a home game. Maybe I am wrong but it is kind of embarrasing IMO

Last year Cuse was dominating our game in terms of crowd.  No question about that one.

Uconn is drawing less and less every year.

Duke is usually a bunch of just fairweather college hoops fans who will rally around us upsetting Duke.

Pitt was best game of the year.  Whole bottom sold out and it was 90-95% STJ fans.

sju89tr

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 01:38:42 PM »

I think we would like more than 5k fans a game

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Last year's Garden games with exception of Cuse was all heavily favored with Red and White. I'm not sure of the solution except continuing to win games.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 01:42:37 PM »
I was at the Hardy/ Pitt game and I thought it was closer to 50/50. I go to the Duke MSG game every year they play and it is 50/50 if we are lucky. Nova, Uconn, Cuse, Gtown and ND have more fans than us as well IMO

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 01:43:51 PM »
NYC is nearly every school's second or third major alumni area.  I don't have a problem with it.  If we continue to win and play good teams we will always draw more.  This won't be a concern past this season.

Moose

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 01:50:54 PM »
I was at the Hardy/ Pitt game and I thought it was closer to 50/50. I go to the Duke MSG game every year they play and it is 50/50 if we are lucky. Nova, Uconn, Cuse, Gtown and ND have more fans than us as well IMO

No way man sorry.  Everyone I talk to agrees that was the most authentic STJ favored game.  Maybe you had bad section.  Sit with me next time :)

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »
I was behind the Pitt bench, the basket opposite Hardy's layup and I was surrounded by Pitt people. In fact  when I went for a beer at Stouts after the game when they showed the ESPN replay of Hardy stepping out of bounds Stout erupted in boos. Like I said I thought 50/50. But it probably depends on whwere you were sitting. But I think we can all agree that MSG is not a real home court advantage.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 01:57:19 PM »
I was behind the Pitt bench, the basket opposite Hardy's layup and I was surrounded by Pitt people. In fact  when I went for a beer at Stouts after the game when they showed the ESPN replay of Hardy stepping out of bounds Stout erupted in boos. Like I said I thought 50/50. But it probably depends on whwere you were sitting. But I think we can all agree that MSG is not a real home court advantage.

So many ways to market and manage the Garden and the relationship.  But frankly I'm tired of telling people there because nobody is listening there.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »
I am doing a complete 160 and thinking maybe we should limit our games there to only tournaments and one or two big games a year. I wasn't there but on TV it sounded like an away game. Arizona basketball travels that well for away games across country in Nov? For those who attended was it as bad as it seemed on TV?

What the hell is a complete 160?

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 02:19:11 PM »
180 would mean I have come all the way around from my prior thinking. I am still leaving the 20 degrees worth of doubt.

Actually was a typo though.

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
What it comes down to is a student body that couldd care less. And Im not talking about the few hundred that are there every game

derk

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 04:07:22 PM »
What it comes down to is a student body that couldd care less. And Im not talking about the few hundred that are there every game

To a degree you're right but I don't understand how that happens in a city that loves basketball, in a school with 15 - 20k students. Just unfathonable to me. Always has been.

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »

1. Student Body had a pretty good showing at the game last night. I use recent years and overall ratio to crowd as comparison.

2. Have to think like a college student.
A. I'm broke. It's going to cost me $4 for subway, $10-15 for ticket, > $ for beer/food ------ I can easily watch this from my dorm/apartment with friends or spend my money elsewhere
B. It's going to take me 45 min each way to travel to the game. Possibly during rush hour and the buses blow at that time. $%^& that!
C. I have class
D. I don't like sports

3. There is no student section at MSG. St. John's does not buy a block of the arena but instead selected rows on each side of the basket. I'm not sure if MSG won't sell them like that or if St. John's doesn't want to. It's something I've been begging for them to do for years.

4. Winning solves everything and you can see its trending upward.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »

1. Student Body had a pretty good showing at the game last night. I use recent years and overall ratio to crowd as comparison.

2. Have to think like a college student.
A. I'm broke. It's going to cost me $4 for subway, $10-15 for ticket, > $ for beer/food ------ I can easily watch this from my dorm/apartment with friends or spend my money elsewhere
B. It's going to take me 45 min each way to travel to the game. Possibly during rush hour and the buses blow at that time. $%^& that!
C. I have class
D. I don't like sports

3. There is no student section at MSG. St. John's does not buy a block of the arena but instead selected rows on each side of the basket. I'm not sure if MSG won't sell them like that or if St. John's doesn't want to. It's something I've been begging for them to do for years.

4. Winning solves everything and you can see its trending upward.

How about those fans who flew in from Arizona, that flight probably sucked too??