PT

• 28 replies

Moose

Re: PT
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 01:03:02 PM »
our offense doesn't lend itself to Marco's game.  he's a spot up shooter who can't create on his own.  he needs to be wide open to get his shot off.  plus with the man2man that we seem to have transitioned to, he's too slow afoot to stay with a big east player.  our zone would have worked better for him.

unless something drastically changes, i can't see him getting meaningful minutes.  come january, i think he gets zero.

What man to man?  We play a matchup zone, not man to man.

have we been watching the same game? since we've come back from charleston our guys are playing man and are switching every single time.  the last couple of games DLo has been caught on a mismatch down low.  am i seeing things wrong?!

Yeah were watching the same game.  Its a matchup zone.  Just because there is switching doesn't make it man to man.

got it!  thx

Don't let Moose push you off the facts.  We played plenty of man against FGC.

Again with this plenty?
How much is plenty?
The majority of our game(s) is zone (take out exhibition games which was weird how went went zone whole way)

We did start 2nd half of FGC in man.  Next game I'll be sure to bring my stopwatch and time how much we play each ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 01:14:25 PM »
I've seen mostly the matchup zone (granted, I'm no expert on these things).  The problem is that CO is switching and ending up on the perimeter against a guard at times.  DLo being under the basket guarding a big seems to be intentional.  Two years ago, Lavin often had Booth down low.  I guess a big is supposed to rotate when the entry pass is made.  I'm not really comfortable with that strategy but Coach knows what he is doing better than I do.

Moose

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »
I've seen mostly the matchup zone (granted, I'm no expert on these things).  The problem is that CO is switching and ending up on the perimeter against a guard at times.  DLo being under the basket guarding a big seems to be intentional.  Two years ago, Lavin often had Booth down low.  I guess a big is supposed to rotate when the entry pass is made.  I'm not really comfortable with that strategy but Coach knows what he is doing better than I do.

Yeah that is maddening sometimes.  Because I get worried about Chris picking up cheap reaching fouls up top and not being down low to block and Dee out of his element down low possibly getting called for fouls.

desco80

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »

Yeah that is maddening sometimes.  Because I get worried about Chris picking up cheap reaching fouls up top and not being down low to block and Dee out of his element down low possibly getting called for fouls.

I agree, very frustrating.   It was a bigger issue from what I remember in the Holy Cross game - D'lo was constantly stuck guarding a bigger guy on the low block. 

Moose

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 01:23:16 PM »

I agree, very frustrating.   It was a bigger issue from what I remember in the Holy Cross game - D'lo was constantly stuck guarding a bigger guy on the low block. 

And I love Dee and he will flop and get a charge call no doubt.  However he will also flop and get called for a block or get no call at all and possibly flip a lid.  Just not the right place for him down there.

desco80

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 01:32:55 PM »

And I love Dee and he will flop and get a charge call no doubt.  However he will also flop and get called for a block or get no call at all and possibly flip a lid.  Just not the right place for him down there.

Agree, it's a good place for him to pickup unnecessary fouls.  Plus, as we've seen - as good a rebounder as he is ... he shouldn't be our guy on the low block. 
That's why I'm not sold on putting Dom or Amir on the opposing ball handler.  I know they're our best defenders, but it forces D'angelo or Phil to guard a forward.   Not ideal.   

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 01:51:51 PM »
our offense doesn't lend itself to Marco's game.  he's a spot up shooter who can't create on his own.  he needs to be wide open to get his shot off.  plus with the man2man that we seem to have transitioned to, he's too slow afoot to stay with a big east player.  our zone would have worked better for him.

unless something drastically changes, i can't see him getting meaningful minutes.  come january, i think he gets zero.

What man to man?  We play a matchup zone, not man to man.

have we been watching the same game? since we've come back from charleston our guys are playing man and are switching every single time.  the last couple of games DLo has been caught on a mismatch down low.  am i seeing things wrong?!

Yeah were watching the same game.  Its a matchup zone.  Just because there is switching doesn't make it man to man.

got it!  thx

I chuckle at games when I hear guys screaming a guy is open.  Yeah its a zone often guys are open.  Guys don't stick to eachother like glue. Then again in our zones guys are open more often and longer ha

the last two games it appears to be much more aggressive.  feels like we have not allowed as many open 3 like we did with Baylor and Murray State.

paultzman

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 01:53:50 PM »
Agree these "junk" defenses putting the wrong folks in jeopardy. Plant CO down low period.

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »
These boards are amazing! Kid went from having a thread detailing his travel itinerary down to S Carolina to someone who is never going to play in just 4 games. I am not saying he should or should not play mind you, I have no idea since he hasn't you know played. I just find it very amusing how these kids get built up before they ever play and then are discarded like an Egg Mcmuffin wrapper. And yes that is what I had for breakfast.

+100 (plus he brings a skill we need so we better find a way to bring the best out in him)