PT

• 28 replies
PT
« on: November 25, 2012, 01:11:28 PM »
It is pretty obvious that coach is going to play Harrison, Greene and Sampson close to 35 every night. The remaining two spots seems to be based on how the remaining 6 guys are playing and I guess matchups. I endorse this disbursement of PT. The only negative I see is I do not have 100% confidence in coach's ability to judge matchups and adjust accordingly. This way of distributing minutes does put a lot of pressure on coach. It seems to have worked out pretty good yesterday  however by going with Pointer for more minutes than usual.

Re: PT
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 01:13:46 PM »
It is pretty obvious that coach is going to play Harrison, Greene and Sampson close to 35 every night. The remaining two spots seems to be based on how the remaining 6 guys are playing and I guess matchups. I endorse this disbursement of PT. The only negative I see is I do not have 100% confidence in coach's ability to judge matchups and adjust accordingly. This way of distributing minutes does put a lot of pressure on coach. It seems to have worked out pretty good yesterday  however by going with Pointer for more minutes than usual.

Give the minutes to whoever can grab a rebound. And Obekpa should be on the court as much as possible.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 01:16:14 PM »

Give the minutes to whoever can grab a rebound. And Obekpa should be on the court as much as possible.

I would like CO to play a little more. It would also be nice if Sampson could get around 3 more boards a game

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »

I would like CO to play a little more. It would also be nice if Sampson could get around 3 more boards a game

Sampson's rebounding effort has been poor. FGCU was fighting rebounds away from him. That can't happen.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:25:26 PM »
Obekpa needs to stop picking up cheap fouls on the perimeter.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 01:28:32 PM »
Is Marco ever going to play more than three mpg?

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 01:35:26 PM »

We will need him to play more but he looked awful out there last night.  He forced a few shots and went for a steal which led to a wide open corner 3.  Also, he has a tendency to step back when he gets the ball and that led to him stepping out of bounds once and he almost did it a second time too. 

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 02:25:31 PM »

We will need him to play more but he looked awful out there last night.  He forced a few shots and went for a steal which led to a wide open corner 3.  Also, he has a tendency to step back when he gets the ball and that led to him stepping out of bounds once and he almost did it a second time too.

I agree that players will need to earn their time...but he has the potential to bring an aspect that we need...so, i think we need to be a little more tolerant of some early mistakes so that we can get him to a point where he becomes a viable (and confident) contributor from beyond 15-17...

also, when he is in the game, they should look for him...last night there were a few times where he had ample space and the ball was dribbled the other way...i think (or hope) that this will become more of an option once Branch is introduced...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 02:27:17 PM by section3 »

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »
agree section 3. (poet and don't know it) :)

sju89tr

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Marco will be hard pressed to get extra minutes as Greene has played so well and Branch will be playing soon. In addition, Pointer will get minutes at that spot as well. Assuming Sanchez and Branch enter the rotation as expected. Starter minutes will go to Harrison, Greene, and Sampson. In the 20 min range will be Sanchez, Pointer, Garrett, Branch, Obekpa, and perhaps Balamou. The under 10 minute guys will be Jones and Marco. 

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 11:17:42 AM »
our offense doesn't lend itself to Marco's game.  he's a spot up shooter who can't create on his own.  he needs to be wide open to get his shot off.  plus with the man2man that we seem to have transitioned to, he's too slow afoot to stay with a big east player.  our zone would have worked better for him.

unless something drastically changes, i can't see him getting meaningful minutes.  come january, i think he gets zero.

Moose

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
our offense doesn't lend itself to Marco's game.  he's a spot up shooter who can't create on his own.  he needs to be wide open to get his shot off.  plus with the man2man that we seem to have transitioned to, he's too slow afoot to stay with a big east player.  our zone would have worked better for him.

unless something drastically changes, i can't see him getting meaningful minutes.  come january, i think he gets zero.

What man to man?  We play a matchup zone, not man to man.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 11:24:08 AM »
These boards are amazing! Kid went from having a thread detailing his travel itinerary down to S Carolina to someone who is never going to play in just 4 games. I am not saying he should or should not play mind you, I have no idea since he hasn't you know played. I just find it very amusing how these kids get built up before they ever play and then are discarded like an Egg Mcmuffin wrapper. And yes that is what I had for breakfast.

DFF6

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 11:29:27 AM »

Unless Lavin was way off in assessing Marco's talents relative to this team, you have to believe that Marco's playing time will increase come January and beyond, assuming Branch plays significant minutes and becomes the ball distributor this team currently lacks (I love Greene's game, but his assists usually seem to come only after he can't find his own shot).  I don't recall anyone on this board stating that they expected Marco to score in bunches based on creating his own shot.   

sju89tr

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 11:30:11 AM »
I am not down on Marco at all. he hasn't gotten a shot yet but 2 things hurt him

1. We need a ball handler and Branch will get significant minutes
2. Greene has played exceptionally well at marco's expense during his absense 

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »

have we been watching the same game? since we've come back from charleston our guys are playing man and are switching every single time.  the last couple of games DLo has been caught on a mismatch down low.  am i seeing things wrong?!

Moose

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »

have we been watching the same game? since we've come back from charleston our guys are playing man and are switching every single time.  the last couple of games DLo has been caught on a mismatch down low.  am i seeing things wrong?!

Yeah were watching the same game.  Its a matchup zone.  Just because there is switching doesn't make it man to man.

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »

Yeah were watching the same game.  Its a matchup zone.  Just because there is switching doesn't make it man to man.

got it!  thx

Moose

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »

got it!  thx

I chuckle at games when I hear guys screaming a guy is open.  Yeah its a zone often guys are open.  Guys don't stick to eachother like glue. Then again in our zones guys are open more often and longer ha

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »

got it!  thx

Don't let Moose push you off the facts.  We played plenty of man against FGC.