Depaul Game - Player of the Game

• 26 replies

MCNPA

Re: Depaul Game - Player of the Game
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 07:25:02 AM »
I don't see how it could be anyone but Branch.  He is still too loose with the ball, but he and Harrison give us two legit, complete players.  I don't feel comfortable with anyone but those two taking it coast to coast.  He really looks comfortable in transition--although he's not exactly a burner.

He's got two speeds though.   He's a bit quicker than it seems.  When he drives to the basket, he can get by with ease.  Not slow at all.  He's a little loose with his handle but he's got a very good handle. It's a matter of just realizing that at this level, some of the same things won't fly.  I love how Branch's head is up and always looking for the outlet on the break. He made an absolutely amazing pass vs DePaul to Jakarr on the break but Jakarr didn't finish on it.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 09:24:56 AM »
Branch hits the weight room in the off season, he can come back an all BE type of contributor.
The main area I see for improvement is strength. He avoids contact at times because I think he's afraid of getting hurt.

LoganK

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »
An argument can certainly be made for Dom being POG, however, I'd award it to Branch.  While Dom's stats may have looked better (not counting the 6 to's), if Branch didn't take over for that run in the first half, who knows how the game would've played out.

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »
Branch hits the weight room in the off season, he can come back an all BE type of contributor.
The main area I see for improvement is strength. He avoids contact at times because I think he's afraid of getting hurt.
Don't understand your statement he avoids contact-what is this, football?

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 01:23:27 PM »
I don't see how it could be anyone but Branch.  He is still too loose with the ball, but he and Harrison give us two legit, complete players.  I don't feel comfortable with anyone but those two taking it coast to coast.  He really looks comfortable in transition--although he's not exactly a burner.

He's got two speeds though.   He's a bit quicker than it seems.  When he drives to the basket, he can get by with ease.  Not slow at all.  He's a little loose with his handle but he's got a very good handle. It's a matter of just realizing that at this level, some of the same things won't fly.  I love how Branch's head is up and always looking for the outlet on the break. He made an absolutely amazing pass vs DePaul to Jakarr on the break but Jakarr didn't finish on it.
Great point about how his head is up looking and making outlet or up the court passes. I noticed this when he played against us last year.

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
One thing I really like about Branch is his ability to pass and finish with both hands so fluidly. I didn't expect such a smooth midrange game from him.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
One thing I really like about Branch is his ability to pass and finish with both hands so fluidly. I didn't expect such a smooth midrange game from him.
Totally agree on all points.