Weekends of April 19-21 and 26-28

• 138 replies
Re: Weekends of April 19-21 and 26-28
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »
Are we completely sure he wasn't out on the road this weekend?

Moose

« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »
“@STJCoachLavin: @NYPost_Brazille
Lol. 2013 recruiting behind us so I'm catching up on correspondence front!
Purposeful pace: "Be quick but don't hurry". JRW”

Or he could hit the road and start on 14 and 15.

At what point do people stop questioning his recruiting?

He gets results just find it interesting that he hasn't been on the road with all these showcases going on. Guess it is a good sign that he trusts his assts

He has his method.  I don't think there's any need to question it unless it isn't working.  Maybe Lavin feels it is better for his assistants to be out analyzing talent at this phase? 

Regardless of the results its fair for any fan of the team to wonder why he's not on the road.  One weekend off sure.  The 2nd weekend?  Regardless of if he trusts the assistants in evaluating talent these kids want to see the attention and love from the head coach.  They crave attention on that level.  Saying Steve Lavin is looking at you as opposed to Rico Hines is night and day.

I'm going to try to say this in the best way possible but Lavin isn't carrying around an STJ national championship.  So if someone wonders why he's not on the road back to back weekends its more than fair game.

He knows what he is doing.  He knows when to push and when to relax.

He also knows when and where to be seen.

Dino Trigonis at Pangos was tweeting with coach how he enjoyed seeing Darrick out in Long Beach. 

We know he takes the laid back approach.  You follow the recruiting game.  You know full well that the majority of kids want the attention and aren't big on the laid back approach.  None of us are the coach of STJ and none of us are experts.  But we are all fans of the game and the team and comment on this message board just as other fans of other teams/sports do.  Again its fair game to me.

* As an example Giants fans who criticize Jerry Reese and who he drafts are nuts because Reese has won 2 Super Bowls.  That to me is the trump card.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2013, 07:42:55 PM »

He gets results just find it interesting that he hasn't been on the road with all these showcases going on. Guess it is a good sign that he trusts his assts

He has his method.  I don't think there's any need to question it unless it isn't working.  Maybe Lavin feels it is better for his assistants to be out analyzing talent at this phase? 

Regardless of the results its fair for any fan of the team to wonder why he's not on the road.  One weekend off sure.  The 2nd weekend?  Regardless of if he trusts the assistants in evaluating talent these kids want to see the attention and love from the head coach.  They crave attention on that level.  Saying Steve Lavin is looking at you as opposed to Rico Hines is night and day.

I'm going to try to say this in the best way possible but Lavin isn't carrying around an STJ national championship.  So if someone wonders why he's not on the road back to back weekends its more than fair game.

Dino Trigonis at Pangos was tweeting with coach how he enjoyed seeing Darrick out in Long Beach. 

We know he takes the laid back approach.  You follow the recruiting game.  You know full well that the majority of kids want the attention and aren't big on the laid back approach.  None of us are the coach of STJ and none of us are experts.  But we are all fans of the game and the team and comment on this message board just as other fans of other teams/sports do.  Again its fair game to me.

* As an example Giants fans who criticize Jerry Reese and who he drafts are nuts because Reese has won 2 Super Bowls.  That to me is the trump card.

The teams won with an huge Accorsi core :)  But I get your point. 

Moose

« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2013, 07:50:03 PM »

The teams won with an huge Accorsi core :)  But I get your point. 

And Reese worked for who prior to being named GM ;)

« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2013, 07:56:25 PM »
1. His assistants are all talent evaluators. 

2. His assistants have connections and relationships on the recruiting circuit.

3. Rysheed didn't feel neglected because Chiles handled his recruiting.

4. If winning a NC is the criterion by which a coach's recruiting is measured, then there are very few who can be deemed successful.

5. If you really want Lavin to bring us a NC, some here would argue that he is better served staying here, studying X's and O's, and letting his assistants go out and recruit.

The results speak for themselves.  Coach can recruit.  Hopefully, he will bring us a championship in the near future.

Moose

« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2013, 08:01:03 PM »

4. If winning a NC is the criterion by which a coach's recruiting is measured, then there are very few who can be deemed successful.

5. If you really want Lavin to bring us a NC, some here would argue that he is better served staying here, studying X's and O's, and letting his assistants go out and recruit.

The results speak for themselves.  Coach can recruit.  Hopefully, he will bring us a championship in the near future.

Yeah Lavin is going to miraculously find the secret X and O's sitting back in Soho?  He can recruit.  Play to your strengths.  Calipari is out there every weekend on the trail.  Works for him, no?  When you follow the happenings of the past week and you don't see Lavin's name you can't help but raise an eyebrow.

* It's ok to critique a coach.  Nobody is saying he should be fired because he's not recruiting on the road.  But to make a comment like the original poster did shouldnt be so outrageous as some make it seem.

« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2013, 08:02:43 PM »
Maybe we should get Lavin a private Lear jet like Cal's.

desco80

« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »
+1 to Moose's post above. 

It's fair game to criticize anyone, even if they have won a championship.  And, good leaders not only don't mind it, they ask for it. 

Blind faith in the leadership of any organization is a recipe for disaster. 

I don't mind that coach isn't visible on the trail right now, but if somebody else does, they should say so.   Nothing wrong with that. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:09:56 PM by desco80 »

Moose

« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2013, 08:12:58 PM »
Maybe we should get Lavin a private Lear jet like Cal's.

We aren't a state school with that budget but in addition to a big budget for asst coaches, Lavin was given a bigger travel budget both for the team and recruiting.

Plus these past two weeks had plenty of local flavor.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:14:35 PM by Moose »

paultzman

« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2013, 08:28:15 PM »
Good info and stats from weekend. Providence and SJU have a lot of folks in common;

“@Craig_Belhumeur: EYBL Games of Interest this past Weekend: http://friarbasketball.com/?p=2980 #pcbb”

Chilleb

« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2013, 08:45:39 PM »

Yeah Lavin is going to miraculously find the secret X and O's sitting back in Soho?  He can recruit.  Play to your strengths.  Calipari is out there every weekend on the trail.  Works for him, no?  When you follow the happenings of the past week and you don't see Lavin's name you can't help but raise an eyebrow.

* It's ok to critique a coach.  Nobody is saying he should be fired because he's not recruiting on the road.  But to make a comment like the original poster did shouldnt be so outrageous as some make it seem.
+1..If it ain't broke don't fix it lav. Glad to see Martin has a niche though he was kind of a head scratched when hired. Now on to moe hicks   :-\

desco80

« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »
Any events happening this weekend?

Moose

« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2013, 12:46:53 PM »

Not that coaches can attend.

desco80

« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »

Not that coaches can attend.

Gotcha, when does the calendar open up for evaluating again?

desco80

« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2013, 01:18:39 PM »
Thanks Moose

« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2013, 01:08:55 AM »
For those that wanna see St. John's recruits play this weekend:

-Isaiah Whitehead will be playing in a tournament at Baruch College in Manhattan. 
-Kassoum Yakwe (along with some of the other Team SCAN 16U's) will be playing in iS8 playoffs on Friday and if they win will play on Saturday as well.
-Rysheed Jordan will be playing in a charity game right outside of Philly on Saturday night.

I'll post more info on other guys for this weekend as I get it.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

gman

« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2013, 07:07:42 AM »
Day and time for whitehead?

« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2013, 08:28:33 AM »
Day and time for whitehead?

Waiting to find out.  He says he's playing with Juice but I don't see them on the bracket: http://brooklynyouthsportsclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/17U-Spring-Invitational-Gold-Bracket.pdf

I'm gonna post a new thread with more specific players and times for this weekend.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap