A bad season can be disastrous on many levels.

• 24 replies
Re: A bad season can be disastrous on many levels.
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 10:58:11 AM »
We don't have enough shooters. Harrison is a volume scorer and Jordan is a penetrator. No one on the roster can consistently knock down shots. That is the problem and has been for the last 3 years. Lavin is a great recruiter but he is recruiting athletes that caan't shoot and supposed shooters who are terrible athletes. He needs to recruit guys going forward who can at least knock down a shot from three once in awhile.
I think that is the issue, we simply can't shoot and I haven't the last 3 years. The only way around that is a defense that consistently create turnovers and rebound. We are better here, but not enough to compensate for lack of shooting skills.

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 01:05:14 PM »
Lavin has got to turn this season around and quickly.  If he proceeds to lose to the likes of a Seton Hall, Providence or Depaul, it could be disastrous for the program.  High school players are well aware of what the Johnnies were supposed to accomplish this year and are even more aware that they are underachieving. If recruits stop coming, then what?  We have already seen that coach needs NBA level talent to have any success at all.  And don't think that Lavins "coach speak" which is a nice way of describing his BS, is fooling anyone especially potential recruits.  I was just talking with a friend of my son who plays for a big time AAU team who asked me what the problem was with St. John's this year as he thought they were supposed to be good.  I even said to him that they have had a tough schedule etc.  just to see his reaction and he stated, "maybe, but they are the ones who were supposed to be good". 

The next few games are most important to the future of this program.  If this team falls short against the weaker teams it could signify the demise of the program. I also happen to believe that if this should happen that Lavin will bolt as I believe that his ego is too big to deal with much losing.  That may come in the form of an excuse to get back to California of have to do with health issues.

SJU has been a doormat for over a decade now.  Trust me, another year of bad basketball isn't going to have much of an effect.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 02:30:12 AM »
Who has Jay Wright put into the league since Lavin has been here?

Randy Foye. And that's it.
Doesn't Foye go back even further than kyle lowry?

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 06:42:07 AM »
Who has Jay Wright put into the league since Lavin has been here?

Randy Foye. And that's it.
Doesn't Foye go back even further than kyle lowry?

Foye was before Lavin got here.  Dante Cunningham is Nova's only draft pick in the last 4 years but I don't think he's in the League.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »
Lavins first recruiting  class are juniors.  How many should he have in NBA?  He has one already . Some of you are missing the boat completely. 

I'm not saying he should have multiple guys playing in the NBA right now. I am saying that there is nobody on this roster outside of Rysheed that has a chance of making it despite the fact that it was a possibility for most of them when they enrolled here

Possibility is the key word - none of these players were top ten.  Lavin has been fortunate enough to have a lot of NBA players come from his programs with Mo (top 40 coming in) going earlier than projected.  Putting players into the NBA is not one of the knocks you can place on Lavin.
Harkless was coached by Dunlap - not Lavin.