What would make fans happy..?

• 53 replies
Re: What would make fans happy..?
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
It doesn't bother me that people aren't happy, because they shouldn't be. I'm not either. What does bother me, is people that act like this is the worst team they've ever seen, or use other hyperbole to describe the coach or program.

I also can't stand the completely made up assertion that us "Lavin supporters" think everything is going wonderfully. No, incorrect. Not one person has said that or anything remotely close to it. We just don't blame the coach for everything, even things out of his control and do not think he deserves to be fired after a 20 win season in which we just missed a bid by a win or two.
It doesn't bother me that people aren't happy, because they shouldn't be. I'm not either. What does bother me, is people that act like this is the worst team they've ever seen, or use other hyperbole to describe the coach or program.

I also can't stand the completely made up assertion that us "Lavin supporters" think everything is going wonderfully. No, incorrect. Not one person has said that or anything remotely close to it. We just don't blame the coach for everything, even things out of his control and do not think he deserves to be fired after a 20 win season in which we just missed a bid by a win or two.
Speaking in general terms not specific to Lavin-in the pro's you have a GM and a coach and if things go bad one or the other gets blamed. In college the coach is both the GM (he procures the players) and the coach. So if things go bad in college who exactly do you old accountable?

I hold the coach accountable to a point. But I don't assume he took a full recruiting year off simply because no recruiting news was posted on a message board. I don't blame Lavin for every single thing that goes wrong on the court as I understand a coach can only do so much. I understand that while Lavin hasn't had great results so far, they havent been nearly as bad as many on this board say it has been.  Lavin gets a C+ from me overall. Nothing to cheer about, nothing to be fired over. I think he really needs to hire a great tactician to give him help during games. Maybe Whitesell is the guy, but I'm not so sure. With a great basketball mind on the bench, and Lavin as the motivator/recruiter, there's no reason this program can't be very successful. Whether you like it or not, he is the coach. But, next year is shaping up to be very exciting in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:45:32 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 06:49:21 PM »

Speaking in general terms not specific to Lavin-in the pro's you have a GM and a coach and if things go bad one or the other gets blamed. In college the coach is both the GM (he procures the players) and the coach. So if things go bad in college who exactly do you old accountable?

I hold the coach accountable to a point. But I don't assume he took a full recruiting year off simply because no recruiting news was posted on a message board. I don't blame Lavin for every single thing that goes wrong on the court as I understand a coach can only do so much. I understand that while Lavin hasn't had great results so far, they havent been nearly as bad as many on this board say it has been.  Lavin gets a C+ from me overall. Nothing to cheer about, nothing to be fired over. I think he really needs to hire a great tactician to give him help during games. Maybe Whitesell is the guy, but I'm not so sure. With a great basketball mind on the bench, and Lavin as the motivator/recruiter, there's no reason this program can't be very successful. Whether you like it or not, he is the coach. But, next year is shaping up to be very exciting in my opinion.
Way to take my general statement with the proviso that it wasn't about Lavin and base your argument all about Lavin.

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »

Way to take my general statement with the proviso that it wasn't about Lavin and base your argument all about Lavin.

Although it was clearly about Lavin.

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »

Although it was clearly about Lavin.
No it wasn't. There is a whole big wide world out there that doesn't revolve around St. John's basketball believe it or not. In college the coach is the GM and coach so he gets the credit or blame.

Mike

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »
And here come the Lavin supporters in ...3,....2,....1

"another thread has been hijacked, I come here to discuss whether our head coach is wonderful or merely swell".

"but, but, but... he needs more time!  change is just around the corner".

"how can he win with players (that he recruited) that suck!  They're so overrated and selfish.   It's not like they were consistently judged among to be among the best basketball players in their class by scouts and other head coaches. "

"it's all Baldi's fault"

Lavin supporters? How about people that are sick of you and others turning every single thread into a bashing. It gets very old seeing the same BS in every single thread. It would be nice to see one thread without any bashing.

Tiznow

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2014, 12:30:42 AM »

"another thread has been hijacked, I come here to discuss whether our head coach is wonderful or merely swell".

"how can he win with players (that he recruited) that suck!  They're so overrated and selfish.   It's not like they were consistently judged among to be among the best basketball players in their class by scouts and other head coaches. "

"it's all Baldi's fault"

Lavin supporters? How about people that are sick of you and others turning every single thread into a bashing. It gets very old seeing the same BS in every single thread. It would be nice to see one thread without any bashing.

Mike, they should rename this board the Desco and Baldi bash Lavin Message Board.  It's a joke that these two never miss a chance to dump on a coach they hate. 

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »

"it's all Baldi's fault"

Mike, they should rename this board the Desco and Baldi bash Lavin Message Board.  It's a joke that these two never miss a chance to dump on a coach they hate. 

So I guess you're happy making the tournament once every  10 years?

Ya Lavin is doing a great job

boo3

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2014, 11:28:17 AM »
 Same shit, different day. 

Nobody even reads other's posts anymore. 

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
Realistically what I want to see
1. Making tournament every year. I want to be able to fill out one bracket come March where I have us in final four.
2. Legit contender to be playing in second week of tourney every two years.
3. Contend year in year out for a Big East Title Regular Season/Tournament
4 Minimum 20 wins a year
4. Packed MSG/Barclays Center when we play there
5  Better games at the "Lou"  (play some good non conference opponents at Carnesecca sell the place out.

It would be great to win a National Title or be in Final Four every year just probably not realistic. To face facts it has come to the point I do not entertain it as possibly any more with what has occurred the last 15 years.

I could live with a run similar to 1976-1993

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2014, 11:43:02 AM »

"it's all Baldi's fault"

So I guess you're happy making the tournament once every  10 years?

Ya Lavin is doing a great job

Again no one is saying this, but keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel good.

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2014, 09:49:08 PM »
You're right, my bad. He is a great recruiter

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2014, 10:20:05 PM »

Correct.

TONYD3

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2014, 02:24:11 AM »
why do like to fxck with st. johns fans? sometimes i understand it can be fun but all the time?

PIB

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2014, 06:26:48 AM »
why do like to fxck with st. johns fans? sometimes i understand it can be fun but all the time?

It's pretty clear that he enjoys flaming threads, and trolling posters with his comments. I don't post very often on this forum, but have noticed this occurring pretty frequently. Maybe this forum fills a void in his life?