Christian Jones Status

• 72 replies

Foad

Re: Christian Jones Status
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2016, 08:07:26 PM »
Jones had no spot on this year's team. He wouldn't have been the difference between a loss and a win in any game this season so why would we have given him minutes over Yakwe, Sima, Owens, Freudenberg. It was best for both him and the program to move on and we should do the same

Exactly. This is perhaps the best 1-17 team in basketball history. AKA we're loaded. Let's move on.

goredmen

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2016, 08:15:06 PM »
Jones had no spot on this year's team. He wouldn't have been the difference between a loss and a win in any game this season so why would we have given him minutes over Yakwe, Sima, Owens, Freudenberg. It was best for both him and the program to move on and we should do the same

Exactly. This is perhaps the best 1-17 team in basketball history. AKA we're loaded. Let's move on.

Yes, Jones was the 4th best player on a 1-17 team. Let's keep him around for as long as possible

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2016, 08:33:30 PM »
Mr. Jones reminds me of Dexter Gray.  I wanted both to stay but they left.  I never get what I want.

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2016, 09:53:35 PM »
Mr. Jones reminds me of Dexter Gray.  I wanted both to stay but they left.  I never get what I want.
Just finished watching a double feature- Jim Thorpe All-American (starring Burt Lancaster), and Dexter Gray All-American (starring Will Smith). It was on TCM and the host moderator said there are plans in the works to make Christian Jones All-American (leading candidate to star is Michael B Jordan).  ;) :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:54:34 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2016, 11:25:26 PM »
Would you rather see Yakwe or Jones in the game?

Jones was gonna be malcontent with a bench role. Wouldn't have been good for team dynamic.

While I think Jones had some positive untapped elements to his game I also think his IQ on the floor defensively was a major liability that outweighed any of the contributions from the offensive side of the ball.

Amar not exactly Bill Bradley out there and it is made worse by the fact that he also stinks.
Not a big deal but Jones would have gotten 10-15 backing up Yakwe and Sima
Can you say for sure Owens will be better than Jones was?

Amar isn't exactly being relied upon but I value his contribution to the team. He brings energy and can stretch a D. I think there will be times his number will be called this year and he'll step up. His effort makes up for what he lacks. He's an above average bench player in conference imo. I know other disagree but I see value in his strengths.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2016, 08:26:13 AM »

Jones was gonna be malcontent with a bench role. Wouldn't have been good for team dynamic.

While I think Jones had some positive untapped elements to his game I also think his IQ on the floor defensively was a major liability that outweighed any of the contributions from the offensive side of the ball.

Amar not exactly Bill Bradley out there and it is made worse by the fact that he also stinks.

Amar isn't exactly being relied upon but I value his contribution to the team. He brings energy and can stretch a D. I think there will be times his number will be called this year and he'll step up. His effort makes up for what he lacks. He's an above average bench player in conference imo. I know other disagree but I see value in his strengths.

This makes sense. Amar knows he isn't being handed minutes, and he knows that his game has a long way to go. That kind of self awareness shows me maturity. Jones probably figures, and he's not entirely wrong, that if anyone is going to get minutes in the front court it should be him, because there wasn't anyone else. Now there is, and the staff believes that he will be buried on the bench behind several players.

Still, I think we should stop w this and focus on our season. He's gone. He played here for 4 seasons and when Obekpa, Jordan, Sampson and everyone else bailed, he stayed and competed. Let's wish him well and talk about our 16-17.

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2016, 09:25:01 AM »

Again it is not a big deal for the big picture but Jones probably would have been a rotation guy where as if Amar is in the rotation something has gone horribly wrong. The point is simply Jones is a better basketball player than Amar and if you are building a team it is usually a good idea to pick the best basketball players.

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2016, 09:28:05 AM »

Again it is not a big deal for the big picture but Jones probably would have been a rotation guy where as if Amar is in the rotation something has gone horribly wrong. The point is simply Jones is a better basketball player than Amar and if you are building a team it is usually a good idea to pick the best basketball players.

I don't know if you can definitely say that Jones is better. I think it's definitely a matter of preference/style.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2016, 09:42:47 AM »

I don't know if you can definitely say that Jones is better. I think it's definitely a matter of preference/style.

Last year Chris Mullin and or ST Jean thought Jones was better. But more importantly my old friend Stat Sheet thought Jones was much better. In fact other than a few % in free throw shooting Jones did EVERYTHING there is to do on a basketball court better than Amar

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:59:33 AM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2016, 09:43:15 AM »

In two years Albigowitch is shooting 38 percent from the floor, 28 percent from three, and 54 percent from the FT line.

In three years Jones has never shot lower than 45 percent from the floor. He has shot as high as 52 percent. Over his last three games last year he scored 60 points, 27 for 41, 65 percent.

If its a matter of preference, I prefer that.

Foad

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2016, 09:44:37 AM »

Last year Chris Mullin and or ST Jean thought Jones was better. But more importantly my old friend Stat Sheet thought Jones was much better. In fact other than a few % in free throw shooting Jones did EVERYTHING there is to do on a basketball court better than Amar

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2599/st-john-red-storm

True, but stats don't tell you anything about intangibles such as towel waving.

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
We weren't making the tournament this year with both, 1 or neither of them. Let the young kids get the pt, it will payoff in the long run

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2016, 10:39:19 AM »
We weren't making the tournament this year with both, 1 or neither of them. Let the young kids get the pt, it will payoff in the long run

Well by that argument than Jones makes way more sense than Amar as he only had one year left to Amar's two

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2016, 10:49:47 AM »

Well by that argument than Jones makes way more sense than Amar as he only had one year left to Amar's two

Everyone can be recruited over. Sign a better player, wish the the other a Bon voyage

TONYD3

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2016, 10:49:54 AM »
Agree. But hopefully we aren't just playing the young guys to give them experience. Hopefully they are MUCH better.

Poison

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2016, 11:45:12 AM »
Agree. But hopefully we aren't just playing the young guys to give them experience. Hopefully they are MUCH better.

Everyone can be recruited over. Sign a better player, wish the the other a Bon voyage

It's what Duke, Arizona and Kentucky do. Ok by me.

redslope

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2016, 01:41:06 PM »
This is about Chris doing what is best for Chris.  He got 25 minutes/game last year.  This is his final year before pursuing a pay for play deal.  He needs to increase to 30 minutes+/game to attract the most attention.  He looked at roster an figured minutes might not increase with Yak getting stronger, Sima having Owens at back up; Ahmad coming on board along with RF needing minutes (and possibly Ellison getting minutes at SF); not to mention Amar getting time.  His 25 could have decreased easily-no brainer to transfer where starting guaranteed.

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »
He might be the best player on the UNLV squad. 20 pts 13 reb in a home loss to South Alabama

Poison

« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2016, 05:51:58 PM »
He might be the best player on the UNLV squad. 20 pts 13 reb in a home loss to South Alabama

Good for him!

paultzman

« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2016, 07:26:52 PM »

Good for him!

Yup