Christian Jones Status

• 72 replies

Poison

Re: Christian Jones Status
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 10:47:13 AM »
Veteran presence is ridiculous. I wish CJ well but glad he isn't here. Our last few guys on the bench need to serve a purpose. A 3rd PG a 3rd center who can come in and play defense for a few minutes is what our 11/12th guy needs to be.
We don't need A 5th year senior who is looking for a pro contract who may score 10 points but give up 18. We don't need a 6'9 European who thinks he is stretch 4 but can't shoot or play defense. We don't need a guard who is slow, can't get off a shot, or guard anyone .
Everyone can get better. Everyone who tries usually does. Some guys don't belong playing in the big east.
A guy like geno Lawrence or that Dominican center we had a few years ago who was awful but could serve a purpose could be useful.

Jones was a BE player. He just wasn't one of the better BE players. I think he's moved on to a level that better suits his skill set, but let's see where he is when the season starts. Seniors often put it all together after having not been able to for 3/4 years. Yes, sometimes they are Felix Balamou and they just don't, but often they do.

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 01:01:38 PM »
Veteran presence is ridiculous. I wish CJ well but glad he isn't here. Our last few guys on the bench need to serve a purpose. A 3rd PG a 3rd center who can come in and play defense for a few minutes is what our 11/12th guy needs to be.
We don't need A 5th year senior who is looking for a pro contract who may score 10 points but give up 18. We don't need a 6'9 European who thinks he is stretch 4 but can't shoot or play defense. We don't need a guard who is slow, can't get off a shot, or guard anyone .
Everyone can get better. Everyone who tries usually does. Some guys don't belong playing in the big east.
A guy like geno Lawrence or that Dominican center we had a few years ago who was awful but could serve a purpose could be useful.

I would love to watch Geno guard Lovett in practice. Would be like watching Wile E Coyote chase the Road Runner.
Someone would have to get Geno a gift card at Acme though. I bet those Rockets are pretty expensive.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 03:41:10 PM »
Jones will always look better in October than March. 

Poison

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 04:15:18 PM »

Actually in March he had his best game as a Johnny.

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 04:16:59 PM »

Unfortunately for him, this will be the second year in a row his team doesn't play deep into March

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 04:24:03 PM »
Would you rather see Yakwe or Jones in the game?

Jones was gonna be malcontent with a bench role. Wouldn't have been good for team dynamic.

While I think Jones had some positive untapped elements to his game I also think his IQ on the floor defensively was a major liability that outweighed any of the contributions from the offensive side of the ball.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 04:27:18 PM »
Would you rather see Yakwe or Jones in the game?

Jones was gonna be malcontent with a bench role. Wouldn't have been good for team dynamic.

While I think Jones had some positive untapped elements to his game I also think his IQ on the floor defensively was a major liability that outweighed any of the contributions from the offensive side of the ball.

Amar not exactly Bill Bradley out there and it is made worse by the fact that he also stinks.
Not a big deal but Jones would have gotten 10-15 backing up Yakwe and Sima
Can you say for sure Owens will be better than Jones was?

Foad

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 04:41:52 PM »

Amar not exactly Bill Bradley out there and it is made worse by the fact that he also stinks.

The grass is always Phil Greener on the other side of defense.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 04:47:32 PM »

The point is he's Mr. October. Looks great on the court...can jump...and holds his own with the friendly physicality of practice. Once things get nasty, he shows that he lacks toughness, hands, and a nose for the ball. Maybe the best thing I saw in the scrimmage was Lovett being a magnet to loose balls. You just can't teach that.

Foad

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 04:48:01 PM »
Jones was gonna be malcontent

Jones did everything that was asked of him for four years. He sat then he started then he sat then he DNP then he sat some more then he started then he sat then he started then he DNP CD then he sat then he started and when given the opportunity as a senior he double doubled half a dozen times. Is he Maurice Lucas, no. Is he Xavier McDaniels, no. Is he a cancer, no. He would have been a nice complimentary player as a 5th year senior off the bench on a team that won one conference game. He knows what it takes to take your lumps and get better, which is something no one on this team has experienced.

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 04:51:59 PM »
Jones was gonna be malcontent

Jones did everything that was asked of him for four years. He sat then he started then he sat then he DNP then he sat some more then he started then he sat then he started then he DNP CD then he sat then he started and when given the opportunity as a senior he double doubled half a dozen times. Is he Maurice Lucas, no. Is he Xavier McDaniels, no. Is he a cancer, no. He would have been a nice complimentary player as a 5th year senior off the bench on a team that won one conference game. He knows what it takes to take your lumps and get better, which is something no one on this team has experienced.

Plus he could have joined Ahmed as the only two guys on the team that could prove ST John's actually has a weight room.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 04:52:41 PM by we are sju »

Johnny23

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 05:29:32 PM »
Could've definitely used Jones' interior strength and athleticism this year off the bench. His timing for leaving was odd to say the least.

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »
Why must we milk over my spilled tears?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 05:45:19 PM »
We don't know yet if we need him but we know the staff probably doesn't think they do. Amar has had oppprtunities. Even if he starts at the end of the bench, he's not in the same boat as Christian who waited years to just get a chance to play. At the end of the day, he is probably better suited for a lower level of competition. But again, a senior is a senior.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 05:51:55 PM »
Why must we milk over my spilled tears?

Because he couldn't defend a lamp post? I'm kidding. Hope he has a great grad year.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 05:52:33 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 05:57:13 PM »
Could've definitely used Jones' interior strength and athleticism this year off the bench. His timing for leaving was odd to say the least.

Yakwe, Bash, RF, Owens, AA, and Sima....
He made a wise choice leaving when he did. 

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 06:11:51 PM »

At staff's urging. Amar would be gone too had Livingston recruitment worked out.

Johnny23

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 06:19:10 PM »

Jones > AA

Foad

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2016, 07:51:35 PM »

At staff's urging. Amar would be gone too had Livingston recruitment worked out.

Add that all up seems like staff made four bad decisions. Jettisoning Jones, tossing Amar, recruiting Livingston, and taking back Amar. Doesn't bode well for the future if they are that incompetent.

goredmen

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2016, 08:00:27 PM »
Jones had no spot on this year's team. He wouldn't have been the difference between a loss and a win in any game this season so why would we have given him minutes over Yakwe, Sima, Owens, Freudenberg. It was best for both him and the program to move on and we should do the same