Baruch Game Discussion (Exhib)

• 114 replies
Re: Baruch Game Discussion (Exhib)
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
Bashir reminds me of Jayvaugn Pinkston. I think he can be the kind of player for St. John's. Is tough to stop running downhill. Put a guard on him he bullies him. Put a big on him he blows by.

LoVett, Ponds, Mussini is great combo trio. Add in Ellison to that mix. We're doing just fine. Scary when Simon gets on the court next year.

I see a little brownlee in Bashir. Love that we can post him up or play him on the perimeter.

BE backcourts better take notice. Give our guards an inch and they will take a mile.

Brownlee was a hybrid guy yes but he didn't have the bull in him like I see in Bashir or Pinkston. These guys will say I'm taking it to the rack, you can hang on me, but I'm still gonna finish.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2016, 01:26:57 PM »
Mussini is so skilled offensively it is ridiculous.

My man

SJUFAN

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2016, 11:31:11 PM »
Bashir reminds me of Jayvaugn Pinkston. I think he can be the kind of player for St. John's. Is tough to stop running downhill. Put a guard on him he bullies him. Put a big on him he blows by.

I think Sima looks like he is getting passed by. I'm hoping we go small ball anyways and probably Brown surpasses him the day he steps on campus.

LoVett, Ponds, Mussini is great combo trio. Add in Ellison to that mix. We're doing just fine. Scary when Simon gets on the court next year.

RF looks comfy at the 3 which is awesome. I was worried he was gonna be stuck at the 4. So much potential.

I'm cool with Amar getting 10-16 min being a pick and pop 4/5. Jack up 3 or 4 threes and sink 1 or 2 of them.

Owens played with good energy. Forget the 12 rebounds against the JV Baruch the hustle was there.
Didn't see the game. But ,what makes you say Sima looks like he is getting passed by?

The talk about him being a NBA player is laughable. The staff appears to be recruiting over him. If that is not a red flag I don't know what is. Outside of him being tall and can block some shots I see a player with a low motor, his shooting mechanics are off which makes his mid range game poor. He's a decent shot blocker but lacks discipline. He's a poor rebounder which is most likely due to the low intensity he plays with, and his ability to guard on the perimeter is poor. Now can he correct some of these things? Maybe. The troubling issue is his motor. You can't teach heart. I don't know if he is wanting to put in the work. 

ras

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2016, 11:54:05 PM »
What I observed of Owens is he seems to have a high motor. Shy offensively, but did a nice job rebounding. Re, being recruited over, the staff is looking for high caliber players...The competition is going to be real tough for PT next year.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:57:19 PM by ras »

Foad

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2016, 08:40:38 AM »
The talk about him being a NBA player is laughable. 

Archived.

Poison

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2016, 09:21:35 AM »

I think Sima looks like he is getting passed by. I'm hoping we go small ball anyways and probably Brown surpasses him the day he steps on campus.

RF looks comfy at the 3 which is awesome. I was worried he was gonna be stuck at the 4. So much potential.

I'm cool with Amar getting 10-16 min being a pick and pop 4/5. Jack up 3 or 4 threes and sink 1 or 2 of them.

Owens played with good energy. Forget the 12 rebounds against the JV Baruch the hustle was there.
Didn't see the game. But ,what makes you say Sima looks like he is getting passed by?

The talk about him being a NBA player is laughable. The staff appears to be recruiting over him. If that is not a red flag I don't know what is. Outside of him being tall and can block some shots I see a player with a low motor, his shooting mechanics are off which makes his mid range game poor. He's a decent shot blocker but lacks discipline. He's a poor rebounder which is most likely due to the low intensity he plays with, and his ability to guard on the perimeter is poor. Now can he correct some of these things? Maybe. The troubling issue is his motor. You can't teach heart. I don't know if he is wanting to put in the work. 

I think you might be giving up on him too soon. Yes, he's clearly not an NBA player right now. Remember, we've had centers that were rated higher than Sima that would be lucky to have 3 points and 4 rebounds against the little sisters of the poor. Sima still had 5 and 5 in 15 minutes. It's a brand new team, and they looked totally out of whack for the first few minutes, but after that, it was a blowout in every way.

Even though he isn't moving as quickly or as aggressively as I'd like, I still think he can become a good center. He needs to be thinking about what his next move is going to be. If the shot is up, then it's too late to box out for the board. He's not involved in these enough. Sima should get every rebound against these chumps.

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2016, 09:29:33 AM »
Big men who can run always have NBA potential because there aren't that many of them. They also take longer to develop. Not ready to give up on him but I'm not all in either.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
Dikembe Mutumbo averaged 3 points and 3 rebounds his sophomore year.

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2016, 11:03:18 AM »

I think the problem with Sima here is that it looks like he may not be a perfect fit for the way it looks like the staff wants to play. Not so much this year but starting next year I don't see him getting huge minutes. In rotation for sure but maybe not enough minutes to really develop his offense.

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »
Do we have a coach working with the bigs?

Foad

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2016, 11:41:18 AM »

I think the problem with Sima here is that it looks like he may not be a perfect fit for the way it looks like the staff wants to play. Not so much this year but starting next year I don't see him getting huge minutes. In rotation for sure but maybe not enough minutes to really develop his offense.

Zero games into a college players sophomore year is too early to write anyone off, much less a seven footer, much less a seven footer who was injured half his freshman year. I'm not saying he's an NBA player, but doubt many posters are astute enough judges of talent to say he's not. As for his being recruited over, only at SJU would recruiting a second 4 star  big man be seen as a negative. Because we are the best one and seventeen team in history.

paultzman

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2016, 11:43:58 AM »
Do we have a coach working with the bigs?

I suppose it is safe to rule Matt out for that role.

paultzman

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2016, 11:46:40 AM »

Zero games into a college players sophomore year is too early to write anyone off, much less a seven footer, much less a seven footer who was injured half his freshman year. I'm not saying he's an NBA player, but doubt many posters are astute enough judges of talent to say he's not. As for his being recruited over, only at SJU would recruiting a second 4 star  big man be seen as a negative. Because we are the best one and seventeen team in history.

Yeah, the assumption that Zach Brown, who has not played much in last year and a half, will start from day one is crazy. Kid has to get the rust off & be in much better shape at this level. We do anoint guys prematurely so often.

Lastly, as noted, he deserves some slack re hand injury. Give him some time & he will be fine.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:53:36 AM by paultzman »

Johnny23

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2016, 11:48:14 AM »
As I've said before, Sima needs to get more physical and be more of a presence down low as much as anything. The points are a bonus but the Johnnies need him to be more of a space eater, not just a shot blocker.

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2016, 11:52:47 AM »
I would think two hall of fame coaches are more than capable of teaching the big men.

« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2016, 11:56:08 AM »
I would think two hall of fame coaches are more than capable of teaching the big men.

Hall of Fame coaches?

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2016, 11:58:23 AM »

My only point is I think you see a lot of smaller lineups the next couple years with Yakwe at the 5. I think they would like to play small. Then when you add Brown to the mix it just takes away from some more of Sima's PT.

Foad

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2016, 12:10:50 PM »

My only point is I think you see a lot of smaller lineups the next couple years with Yakwe at the 5. I think they would like to play small. Then when you add Brown to the mix it just takes away from some more of Sima's PT.

If they want to play small why are they recruiting bigs? That's rhetorical.

I think maybe they'll play small because they have two guards and three mid size guys - Yawke, BA and Freudenberg - who have enormous upside. If Sima and Owens blossom probably they play big. Hopefully the plan is to put the best five players on the court, whatever size they are.

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »

If they want to play small why are they recruiting bigs? That's rhetorical.

I think maybe they'll play small because they have two guards and three mid size guys - Yawke, BA and Freudenberg - who have enormous upside. If Sima and Owens blossom probably they play big. Hopefully the plan is to put the best five players on the court, whatever size they are.

I'm looking forward to a wide variety of lineups creating matchup problems for the opposition. We should have enough versatility (esp. next year w/ red shirts) to be able to ride the hot hand game to game.

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »
I meant hall of fame players - I think they are capable of teaching the Big Men how to play the game.

Also did you notice how somebody tweeted they cant believe that SJU was rank higher than Iona - and Zach posted back he can how you compare a mid- major to high major conference.