Playing Time

• 28 replies

hnk

Playing Time
« on: November 01, 2016, 09:10:19 AM »
The competition for playing time is going to be brutal.   Full court pressure defense is an antidote as guys will get tired. And just wait until next year when we add Marvin, Justin and Zach...and lose no one.

By the way, Marvin and Zach showed great leadership trying to help the guys (particularly Yakwe) during time outs.

Loved  the way the guys on the bench jumped up when we took a three just expecting them to go in.  It's going to be fun.

I think we still look a little small...not necessarily height-wise, but too many skinny arms and legs.

I love the pace and space theme....particularly if we can avoid unforced turnovers on our end and force turnovers on the other.

And no Ellison yet.  Can't wait to see how much he's improved.

desco80

Re: Playing Time
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 10:00:18 AM »
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but last night made clear that we'll lose somebody before next season to transfer.  There simply aren't enough minutes to keep everyone happy.
This year - maybe.
But not when you add Brown, Simon, and Clark.

Ellison becomes the 5th guard?  Yakwe could conceivably be the 4th forward?  Owens the 3rd center?

They could all love sju, but I promise somebody will transfer.

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 10:08:01 AM »
Good problem to have and not the slightest bit concerned because this stuff always works itself out and I don't think this staff will leave us short handed as the prior one did.

hnk

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 10:10:09 AM »
Run. Run. Run. Pressure. Pressure. Pressure.  Guys can't complain about playing time if they're too tired to play.   

I agree though that stuff will happen and we'll have room for new players (who hopefully create more playing time issues.)  Amar and Williams are most likely to leave, but that won't open up many minutes.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 10:47:22 AM »
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but last night made clear that we'll lose somebody before next season to transfer.  There simply aren't enough minutes to keep everyone happy.
This year - maybe.

Ellison becomes the 5th guard?  Yakwe could conceivably be the 4th forward?  Owens the 3rd center?

As long as it's not a lefty we will be fine.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 11:03:50 AM »
This year - maybe.

As long as it's not a lefty we will be fine.

Yup Core 3

redslope

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »
This is why Christian Jones left--it was obvious to him and a 4th year player he needs as much PT as possible.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »
Things tend to work themselves out. Redshirting, transferring, or playing in role.

Regardless this program now has a plan, a blue print, and backup plans on back up plans. Refreshing.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 02:43:17 PM »
This year - maybe.

It's a near certainty a team will lose players with talents like Clark and Simon redshirting.  Ellison is the first that comes to mind.

desco80

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 03:47:16 PM »
Not necessarily a bad thing.  As Dave pointed out, these things will work themselves out.
But there will be some turnover after this year.   

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »
Let's put it this way.  I've never seen any top notch programs complaining about it.  Not once.  It's a good problem to have.

hnk

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 04:09:57 PM »
After all, it's probably how we got Simon and Clark.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 04:12:55 PM »
I did not see 1 minute of the game. But right now, who is the better college basketball player? Ponds or Mussini?

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
I did not see 1 minute of the game. But right now, who is the better college basketball player? Ponds or Mussini?
Ponds

Poison

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 04:41:10 PM »

I'd guess that Mussini is the better shooter, but Ponds is better at everything else. Especially defense.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:41:33 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »
Ponds

It's a tough comparison because Ponds does so much with his physical talent and Mussini is all skill. I guess I'd go with Ponds but I think they will complement the hell out of each other. I think Mussini could be a great third or fourth guard on an Elite 8 caliber team (which we clearly are not this year).  This team needs Mussini.

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 06:45:30 PM »

Ponds is much better defensively while mussini might just be a little better shooter. If i had to choose one to be our starting pg for the year id take ponds for sure. To be our starting sg I would flip a coin. Hell, I might start all three.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:48:05 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 06:56:17 PM »
The big thing will be to see if Mussini's defense has improved.  And we can't really determine that until the competition improves. 

He looked stronger on his drives to the basket though
  So there's hope it will translate to the other end of the court.   

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 08:17:52 PM »

Ponds is much better defensively while mussini might just be a little better shooter. If i had to choose one to be our starting pg for the year id take ponds for sure. To be our starting sg I would flip a coin. Hell, I might start all three.

All three is the best option IMO. Cycle the bigs through to keep them fresh. Those three are just so fast and have active hands to generate easy baskets.

cjfish

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 08:30:55 PM »
If the three can rebound a bit and play some D in could work for 15-20 minutes.