Game 1: Bethune Cookman Game Discussion

• 67 replies
Re: Game 1: Bethune Cookman Game Discussion
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 09:42:02 PM »
Hard to tell how much better we'll be but I know for a fact that this group is going to be MUCH more fun to watch than last year's group

goredmen

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 09:51:22 PM »
Mullin making a point of getting everybody minutes.... except Williams. That confirms where he stands on this roster

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 09:59:46 PM »
Mullin making a point of getting everybody minutes.... except Williams. That confirms where he stands on this roster

Are you sure? Our best player didn't start so not taking much from rotation in this game. Once real season starts I bet we only play 9 so Amir or German kid going to not play as well

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 10:06:15 PM »
Dave getting some tv time

cjfish

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 10:13:13 PM »
4 good guards, will be interesting.

goredmen

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 10:18:24 PM »

Are you sure? Our best player didn't start so not taking much from rotation in this game. Once real season starts I bet we only play 9 so Amir or German kid going to not play as well

Come on. If Williams is indeed healthy he would be playing tonight. Can't see Mullin holding him out of this game and then tossing him in against Michigan St in Atlantis

Johnny23

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 10:23:14 PM »
The ball movement is a lot better so far. Lovett and Owens both look impressive tonight.

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 10:24:14 PM »
The ball movement is a lot better so far. Lovett and Owens both look impressive tonight.

Impressed with Ellison

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 10:25:50 PM »
Interesting lineup. Mussini, Freudenberg, Amar, Yawke and Sima

Johnny23

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 10:26:45 PM »

Impressed with Ellison

Looks more in control and decisive going to the hoop.

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 10:33:44 PM »

Impressed with Ellison

Looks more in control and decisive going to the hoop.
Exactly what he needed to work on over the summer. Great to see

cjfish

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2016, 10:53:31 PM »
Ellison will  be fine.  Impressed by the team quickness and ball movement.  Lovett was sensational. 

TONYD3

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2016, 11:14:42 PM »
No complaints. Liked defensive intensity which led to some easy baskets. Fun team to watch.

Wods317

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2016, 11:15:48 PM »
That game was a pleasure to watch. The competition was very poor but still good to see our guys playing under control, sharing the ball and hitting shots. We have a chance if we ca play like this consistently to be very competitive and have some really nice wins. Good job tonight guys!

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2016, 11:20:01 PM »
Loved the ball speed and movement

Realizing this was Bethune and not Big East, still Owens showing his versatility made me forget how unimpressive Sima was

desco80

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2016, 11:33:04 PM »
Another big win over a weak opponent, but it's a hell of a lot better than what we experienced last season.

Lovett and Ponds showed some nice shooting touch tonight that I didn't necessarily expect from them.  If they can be consistent shooters it'll keep us in the game against some of the better competition.   Last season we didn't have many fall back options when the shot clock was running low. 

This team is watchable and easy to root for.   That's the first hurdle for a team to clear with its fans. 

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2016, 11:41:31 PM »
WOW!I have been around a long time and this was impressive for all the right reasons. We have talent again!  Maurice is a NYC legend in the making. Moose is a future banner on the wall at STJ. Ellison is ready for the Big East.   Frederico reminds me of Gus Alfieri  and will coach in NY after I am gone. The BIGS  are impressive and Owens and Bashier are ready to play. The bench is deep with good attitude guys We have been underestimated by the pre season writers.  We  really have a good young team. I thought we would win 12.....I now think we can go much further.

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2016, 12:19:08 AM »
I know it's game 1, but I was expecting more from Ahmed

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2016, 12:26:52 AM »
I didn't see the whole game, but it seemed as if Ahmed didn't force anything and played within the team concept.  That's a good thing IMO>

redslope

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2016, 12:58:32 AM »
Fun game that justified me staying out late.  Did what should have done versus lesser talent--beat them bad.  Backcourt dominated scoring with 58.  Would take a Sima/Owens combo 20 and 7 any night.  Marcus is going to be highly entertaining.  He has great enthusiasm that seems infectious.  Dancing with Ponds coming out of a timeout was maybe over the top in a blowout.  I think Chris and the coaches substituted well.  This was a game to see what works and what does not.  Rico plus 3 Forwards and a center really did not work; he needs another guard with him.  they also went with 3 guard and 4 guard alignments which kept a blowout interesting.  Loved that we had 10 players with double digit minutes; most was 26 got Ponds and Rico at 18 reflected what he can do with the correct minutes allocated. some interesting options on food that I have never seen in CA in 40 years.  D Will got PT late in game and seems to be a favorite of his mates who went wild when he slammed for the 100th point.  Interesting how team gathered at half court for NY, NY and when it was over ran off court.  Only did appointment was Richard looking like a frosh out there,

PS How great that Ucon lost to Wagner