Game 1: Bethune Cookman Game Discussion

• 67 replies
Game 1: Bethune Cookman Game Discussion
« on: November 11, 2016, 01:45:30 PM »
Lets keep all discussion on the game here. If you want to predict outcome and score there is another thread.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Game 1: Bethune Cookman Game Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 01:47:39 PM »
I'm curious to see a lot of things tonight....

What do the rotations look like?

Can the starting lineup take command early?

Does the bench ignite offense?

Will St. John's take care of the basketball?

Who leads the team in shots taken?

Who leads the team in scoring?

What happens if St. John's is losing?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

desco80

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 01:49:39 PM »
Do we know who starts?   From what he's told the press sounds like Mullin wants to play Ellison a lot.

redslope

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 02:42:13 PM »
Per Rumble in the Jungle top player and MEAC 1st teamer for BC is out tonight.  Shame cause you want to see the team tested an this would have been a good test for Marcus and Ponds in their one on one development.

TONYD3

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 02:49:37 PM »
Plenty of time to get tested . I want to see a beat down .

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 03:54:50 PM »

I think we have a good idea of the rotations based on the Baruch exhibition... and the repeat answer for most of the other questions is: BASH BASH BASH!!!

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 04:22:46 PM »

I think starters will be Lovett, Mussini, Bashir, Yakwe and Sima.   We will see ponds, Ellison, Freudenburg and Owens in the next wave getting time.

We have a tendency to start slow and that's usually when we don't take care of the basketball.  I expect that type of start until proven otherwise, and we learn how to come out stronger.

I think we will be much better taking care of the basketball both today and for the season.  Lovett and Ponds are much headier handlers and not reckless like some thought.  Most turnovers will be off mishandled passes much like last game.

Shots taken lead will be a contest between Bashir and Mussini.  One of those will likely be top scorer.  Lovett could grab that title too, but I like when he's focused on driving and passing.

We could be losing at some point but after watching last year's team, we play very hard and we aren't nearly as apt to be reckless.  This year with much more talent and active bodies, I think we will turn it on.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 04:23:28 PM by MCNPA »

cjfish

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 05:16:44 PM »
Most interested in seeing Ellison as he is the biggest question mark in terms of development and the level  of his play.  If he has calmed down and improved dramatically he could provide the big guard play the team will otherwise lack.  If he doesnt improve he may ride the pine  The team looks very balanced otherwise and 10 deep.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 06:00:09 PM »
Most interested in seeing Ellison as he is the biggest question mark in terms of development and the level  of his play.  If he has calmed down and improved dramatically he could provide the big guard play the team will otherwise lack.  If he doesnt improve he may ride the pine  The team looks very balanced otherwise and 10 deep.
Agree. He will become more important during conference play. If/when our smaller guards get pushed around, Ellison's size and mobility will be valuable on both ends of the court. Would like to see physical development and some basketball development in November. Need to see it for the Jan-Feb-March part of the schedule.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »

I think all 4 returning sophomores are question marks. We've been hearing about the work they've all put in. That is a crucial part of our program's development. Our staff has to develop the talent that they bring in. It is one talent that has eluded every STJ HC since Coach retired.

bk8664

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 07:23:08 PM »

I think all 4 returning sophomores are question marks. We've been hearing about the work they've all put in. That is a crucial part of our program's development. Our staff has to develop the talent that they bring in. It is one talent that has eluded every STJ HC since Coach retired.

I'm curious as well. We can't expect too much out of the big guys in only 6 or 7 months of off-season.  Reasonable expectations would be better defensive fundamentals and better free-throwing shooting this season. Some semblance of post moves as juniors and seniors.

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 08:55:21 PM »
Starting five for #SJUBB:
0- Ellison
1- Ahmed
2- Ponds
11- Owens
35- Sima

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 08:58:12 PM »
Starting five for #SJUBB:
0- Ellison
1- Ahmed
2- Ponds
11- Owens
35- Sima

Owens running the point?

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 09:05:25 PM »
Anyone know how to watch online

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 09:06:55 PM »
Anyone know how to watch online

Foxsports Go

But you need to be subscribed to the YES network
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kjd01067

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 09:08:39 PM »
Weird starting lineup... Sima, Owens, Ahmed, Ellison,Ponds

Johnny23

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 09:17:08 PM »
That was a Man block by Yakwe.

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 09:17:18 PM »
Liking the 3 guard lineup