Game 5: VCU Game Discussion

• 82 replies

Poison

Re: Game 5: VCU Game Discussion
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2016, 10:33:14 PM »
People need to stop. If we're losing these games in Jan and Feb then we can bitch.  Our 3 main players are brand new. Will take a few more games for everyone to get comfortable.  we can't expect a complete overhaul in a week.

They had no business playing in this tournament. They were unprepared. The sophomores have no excuse. They have no idea how hard you have to play at this level. I could see Ellison getting buried on the bench with a few more stinkers like this one.

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2016, 10:37:13 PM »
Ellison was brutal on offense, can't believe he played 21 minutes while Mussini played 12.

I would change the starting lineup to Lovett/Ponds/Mussini/Ahmed/a center. Too many bricks to not play Mussini more. Honestly maybe play Freudenberg more as well.

Poison

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2016, 10:39:05 PM »
Ellison was brutal on offense, can't believe he played 21 minutes while Mussini played 12.

I would change the starting lineup to Lovett/Ponds/Mussini/Ahmed/a center. Too many bricks to not play Mussini more. Honestly maybe play Freudenberg more as well.

Ellison should be benched. He has given his team nothing.

goredmen

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2016, 11:31:42 PM »

If he doesn't vastly improve quickly, Steve Masiello will be his coach next year
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 11:32:37 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2016, 11:38:29 PM »
This was a very good tournament to be in and we were definitely prepared.  It just comes down to execution and right now we are not doing it on a few possessions when it mattered most.  We had a team last year who got blown out in every game, and now playing down to the wire against competition who are good teams.  Winning unfortunately is not going to happen over night from the coach on down.  Teams have to learn to play close games before they start to win.  These types of games will happen more times than not this season, at least early on-  we just don't know how to win yet. 

If by game 15-20 we are not winning these types of games against evenly matched teams, then questioning the coaches and players is definitely warranted. There is a lot of talent on this team, just raw.  We have shot the ball better this year, FT shooting is up and so is talent.  This team can win 16-17 games, but expect these types of games, night in and night out against better competition.

Don't want to talk to much about next year, because this year is 5 games in and we can just as easily be 3-2 vs 2-3.  Win tomorrow and we are 3-3 with 8 games OOC left.  We are talking about possibly being 9-4 going into conference play.  We will understand how much this team can win in the big east by then. 

boo3

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2016, 11:41:17 PM »
 Guys need to be assigned roles and then they need to execute those roles. 

Outside of Lovett and Ponds I'm not sure anyone knows their role, yet

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2016, 11:42:39 PM »

Lovett and Ponds need to take control  and be leaders on the court

Poison

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2016, 11:45:19 PM »

If he doesn't vastly improve quickly, Steve Masiello will be his coach next year

Masiello recruits tough kids. Ellison is a shittier version of Larry Wright.

Poison

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2016, 11:46:33 PM »

Does Mullin know what his role is?

boo3

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2016, 11:51:57 PM »
I wouldn't overrract too much.  They played very competitive for 2/ 3rds of both games.  They'll figure it out.   Tough to be alpha dog leaders by your 5th collegiate game.

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2016, 12:27:21 AM »

Does Mullin know what his role is?
gm ?

LoganK

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2016, 04:58:53 AM »
Really not understanding why people are getting so upset about these losses.  We played two close, competitive games with two very good programs.  I think the problem is expectations.  Seems most thought we would only win about 15 or so, yet for some reason are surprised we're losing to the teams we're supposed to lose to at this point.  While it's early, our per possession offense (155th) has improved dramatically from last season, as has our defense (61st).  It's only 5 games in, but the results have been promising IMO.

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2016, 08:47:37 AM »
I could live with the losses if this was a way to shake out the better players from the hopeless and we end up with eight getting the major minutes.  My gut is that won't happen.  You can figure out who doesn't deserve more than single digit minutes per game.  Can the staff?

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2016, 09:13:12 AM »
How many years in advance does it take to set up or get invited to these type of tournaments? Has SJU. It tried in the past to not go to one of these tournaments? Will this trend continue to keep going to big early season tournaments?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »
Really not understanding why people are getting so upset about these losses.  We played two close, competitive games with two very good programs.  I think the problem is expectations.  Seems most thought we would only win about 15 or so, yet for some reason are surprised we're losing to the teams we're supposed to lose to at this point.  While it's early, our per possession offense (155th) has improved dramatically from last season, as has our defense (61st).  It's only 5 games in, but the results have been promising IMO.
+1

cjfish

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2016, 10:14:36 AM »
Be patient, the parts are there for a good season.  Am a bit worried about the offense up front but I think it will be adequate given the firepower of the big 3 and  some scoring from Ellison and Mussini.

Foad

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2016, 10:53:02 AM »

« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »
Frankly, until we can prove that we can take at least 1 game from a big team in these big time tournaments we do not deserve to be playing in them. I am not saying we should expect to win the tournaments or be a power in them, just asking for a pulse. 2 years straight, 2 times we fall flat. Last year was clearly worse but I would rather play in them when we actually have a contender team like next year. Young, inexperienced teams like ours need cupcakes early season to build confidence and chemistry- not Michigan State and VCU.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 11:14:46 AM by friendofjohnnie »

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »
Frankly, until we can prove that we can take at least 1 game from a big team in these big time tournaments we do not deserve to be playing in them. I am not saying we should expect to win the tournaments or be a power in them, just asking for a pulse. 2 years straight, 2 times we fall flat. Last year was clearly worse but I would rather play in them when we actually have a contender team like next year. Young, inexperienced teams like ours need cupcakes early season to build confidence and chemistry- not Michigan State and VCU.

Actually, I don't mind these games or tournaments.  You learn a bit about your team, and the team and coaches learn something about themselves and what they need to work on going forward after playing against good competition. 

This isn't like college football where if you lose a couple of games or so, then you're likely done when it comes to the playoffs.  You can lose early, and sometimes, often in college hoops, and then find yourself once conference play rolls around.  Before you know it, the team can find itself in position for an NCAA Tournament bid.  I'm not saying that's gonna happen with this group, but just speaking on how things can play out in college basketball.

Besides, these tournament fields are typically set a year or year and a half in advance.  I'd rather see the team occasionally play some good comp versus getting "fat" in non-conference play with a bunch of cream puffs, and possibly, getting a false sense (some fans, and even the team) about the ability of the team.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 11:34:26 AM by mjdinkins »

redslope

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2016, 12:06:20 PM »
I can't remember a season where we played 5 of the first 8 on the road.  Tough on a team that is learning--need some home cooking and Delaware State