NIT

• 53 replies

Marillac

Re: NIT
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2017, 10:14:08 PM »
Does Darien Williams have one year left?

My friend who works in the SJU athletic department says he can apply for a medical redshirt for next year but hasn't yet. I assume that happens at the end of the season.

But also if we get the USF transfer he would be pushed out.

Williams actually has two years eligibility left. He's a really odd case since he played JUCO as a frosh but sat out as a soph due to TWO shoulder surgeries. He got a medical redshirt last year for his third shoulder surgery. He gets the fifth year automatically if he graduates on time and will almost certainly be granted a sixth year with a "medical hardship waiver." There is well established precedent in place in both men's and women's basketball like Grant Gibbs of Creighton. Williams actually has a stronger case than anyone before him.

St. John's and Williams effectively have team and player options respectively the next two years.

MCNPA

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »
Loving how Williams has played.  Exactly what we need inside,  and he has true range out to 3.

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2017, 10:18:11 PM »

My friend who works in the SJU athletic department says he can apply for a medical redshirt for next year but hasn't yet. I assume that happens at the end of the season.

Williams actually has two years eligibility left. He's a really odd case since he played JUCO as a frosh but sat out as a soph due to TWO shoulder surgeries. He got a medical redshirt last year for his third shoulder surgery. He gets the fifth year automatically if he graduates on time and will almost certainly be granted a sixth year with a "medical hardship waiver." There is well established precedent in place in both men's and women's basketball like Grant Gibbs of Creighton. Williams actually has a stronger case than anyone before him.

St. John's and Williams effectively have team and player options respectively the next two years.

Wasn't Mase Jr here for 6 years?

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2017, 10:24:47 PM »
Williams should be here for next two as far as what I've seen.  He looks healthy and willing to play and has already had big games, even if he's rusty.   I like what I'm seeing and he should be our main post guy at this point.  Big turnaround from what I thought he'd give us.

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2017, 10:38:22 PM »
Williams should be here for next two as far as what I've seen.  He looks healthy and willing to play and has already had big games, even if he's rusty.   I like what I'm seeing and he should be our main post guy at this point.  Big turnaround from what I thought he'd give us.

If that the case, it just made someone else expendable

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2017, 10:44:19 PM »

Wasn't Mase Jr here for 6 years?

Five. Six years is rare, but the NCAA has been granting them liberally the last four years or so. Creighton just got their second granted (women's team).

Rosters have a way of working themselves out. Things will be more clear
by season's end, but if Williams will not be pushed out if he continues to play anything like he has the last few weeks. His offensive skill complements Owens' hustle and d very well.

Poison

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2017, 10:54:47 PM »
We'd have to win 10+ Big East games to even get in the NIT

If they win 10+ BE games they go to the tournament. The pre season would be rendered meaningless. Losses to Delaware State and LIU would be completely forgotten.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:55:26 PM by Poison »

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 11:10:51 PM »
Six years is rare, but the NCAA has been granting them liberally the last four years or so.

Northeastern star and Duke/Florida transfer Alex Murphy is a 6 yr. graduate student player.

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2017, 11:14:40 PM »

If that the case, it just made someone else expendable
. Doesn't he have 2 left?

goredmen

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 11:22:24 PM »

If they win 10+ BE games they go to the tournament. The pre season would be rendered meaningless. Losses to Delaware State and LIU would be completely forgotten.

Lol. That is not true at all but ok

Poison

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 11:29:40 PM »

The committee cares more about the team you become than they do about the entire body of work. The pre season matters less than the conference games. You should know that.

Tha Kid

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 11:30:05 PM »

I think it will require 13 wins between reg season and BET to make dance as at large.  Mayyybe 12.
"I drink and I know things"

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 11:30:30 PM »

That's what happens to Cuse last year. They forgot all the game Boheim didn't coach, and the fact that they lost in the first round of the ACC tournament to Pitt. If SJU wins 10 BE games and makes a run in the BET, I would be confident he committee would include SJU....I wouldn't put much money into that scenario.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 11:33:19 PM »

I think if if he doesn't get hurt Again he gets another year. A few other guys can be pushed out before him .

If he plays close to this level for the rest of the season he will not be pushed out.

Bingo!  If he plays well, then he won't be pushed out.  I'll also add, if he continues to play well, and we have a decent season, then I'll 100% guarantee he won't be pushed out.

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 11:33:31 PM »

I think it will require 13 wins between reg season and BET to make dance as at large.  Mayyybe 12.

Doable. Obviously we need a lot of things to go right. But who the f thought we would be 2-0? Baldi will gladly naw on some crow. Pass the blue cheese

goredmen

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 11:38:30 PM »

The committee cares more about the team you become than they do about the entire body of work. The pre season matters less than the conference games. You should know that.

They also look at RPI and all kinds of other metrics in which those losses will cripple us. Let's say by some miracle we go 10-8 in reg season and lose in BET title game. That puts us at 12-9 in conference and 18-16 overall. We aren't even being considered at 18-16 with losses to Delaware St, LIU and Penn St and Old Dom on the resume.

That being said, this is pretty much nonsense because we aren't going 10-8 and aren't sniffing any tournament this season
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 11:39:35 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 11:38:46 PM »
A handful of folks, particularly Baldi (I know he's stirring the pot), are getting ahead of themselves.  There's plenty of season left.  But, I'll say, if this team finishes with 9 or 10 conference wins, then there is a strong chance they'll end up in the NIT.     

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 11:41:14 PM »
A handful of folks, particularly Baldi (I know he's stirring the pot), are getting ahead of themselves.  There's plenty of season left.  But, I'll say, if this team finishes with 9 or 10 conference wins, then there is a strong chance they'll end up in the NIT.     

We have reasons for optimism here.

Like I said earlier, other than Nova, Creighton and Xavier, no one scares me in the Big East

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 11:49:05 PM »

Like I said earlier, other than Nova, Creighton and Xavier, no one scares me in the Big East

No doubt there are reasons to be optimistic.  I was ready to stick a fork in this team, for this season, prior to the Syracuse game.

If we beat Creighton on Wednesday, then I'll probably be lockstep with you.

goredmen

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 11:50:59 PM »

Nobody is scared of us either