Xavier

• 159 replies

cjfish

Re: Xavier
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »
press please

« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
Freudenberg and Alibegovic should not see minutes in these kinds of games.

desco80

« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
In more positive news... a buddy of mine runs MLB's rookie training:  teams send their best rookies to learn about money management, how to handle the media etc.

Usually you only send 1 or 2 guys who are definitely going to be on the big league roster.
Reds sent Amir Garrett.  And they said they expect him to be the #5 starter. 

« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »
Freudenberg and Alibegovic should not see minutes in these kinds of games.

If by games, you mean college basketball, them I agree for Alibegovic and will reserve judgement on Freudenberg for now.

cjfish

« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2017, 04:31:21 PM »
by this time of the year the interior defense should be better, this is pathetic, the amount of layups and dunks is scary

TONYD3

« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2017, 04:36:43 PM »
I am rooting for 100. Their effort deserves it.

« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2017, 04:38:32 PM »
by this time of the year the interior defense should be better, this is pathetic, the amount of layups and dunks is scary

We are in trouble in this area.

Right now Clark is the only one I'd have hope for but he's only 6'6".  I've written off Zach Brown. 

That leaves either unknown spots Matt A fills, or massive weight gain from Owens and Yakwe.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:46:27 PM by RedStormNC »

Johnny23

« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »
If we don't get another 6'8 or bigger bull for next year then this team will struggle to make the NIT next year.

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »
In more positive news... a buddy of mine runs MLB's rookie training:  teams send their best rookies to learn about money management, how to handle the media etc.

Usually you only send 1 or 2 guys who are definitely going to be on the big league roster.
Reds sent Amir Garrett.  And they said they expect him to be the #5 starter. 

thats awesome, good for Amir

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »
Bright spot.... 80% from the foul line

Sad spot.... Total of 13 points from our bench in fairly decent amount of court time.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:04:47 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2017, 05:41:19 PM »
I think we really just need to look at this like the lost game. Everything they had been doing right since Penn State went away. No time to think about it one off day until the next game which is good for both this board and the team.

Can't win when Ahmed is 3-12 and the frontcourt is invisible for 40 minutes, all of em.

Bad day for the squad.

jr49

« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2017, 05:56:51 PM »
The turnovers and the forced drives by the young guards today have been murder.
number #1 and Zero are both careless and wild. Coaches in better positions sit em.

« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2017, 05:59:48 PM »
I didn't see the game but we put up 82 pts. on the road against the 16th ranked team in the nation.  Plus we out rebounded them by two including 14 offensive boards.

Then you read this thread and it's all "we don't box out", "we can't rebound", "no effort", "can't win with our weak front line and Bashir having an off day".

Seems to me as if the only valid complaint is the no defense.

« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2017, 06:00:28 PM »
Glad I missed this one. Went to the Molloy College/Bridgeport game

TONYD3

« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2017, 06:03:52 PM »
number #1 and Zero are both careless and wild. Coaches in better positions sit em.
Or when 0 and 1 are 2 of your best players you teach them and encourage them to take Better shots and make better decisions with the ball. Fuxking Amar is allowed to shoot or drive whenever he wants. If he has the green light to do anything, You think these 2 don't?

Johnny23

« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »
I didn't see the game but we put up 82 pts. on the road against the 16th ranked team in the nation.  Plus we out rebounded them by two including 14 offensive boards.

Then you read this thread and it's all "we don't box out", "we can't rebound", "no effort", "can't win with our weak front line and Bashir having an off day".

Seems to me as if the only valid complaint is the no defense.

We lost by 15. It doesn't matter if we put up 150 if we still lose convincingly. The O was nothing to write home about with the nonstop turnovers.

Johnny23

« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »

Can't argue with that. There needs to be some smart in-game coaching going on here and not sure it's happening.

« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2017, 06:16:54 PM »
After 4 Big East games, 3 against ranked opponents and 2 on the road, we are 2-2.  It could be a lot worse.  Help is on the way with Simon and Clark. If we can keep the key guys here, the future is bright.

« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
Post Game Quotes

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/010717aag.html

St. John's Head Coach Chris Mullin...

On his thoughts on the game:

"We were very soft. Defensively, we were porous. Basically, we let them do whatever they wanted to do. We scored 82 points, but the game was basically over. We're not going to have a problem scoring. We have scorers and we know that. We have to put our imprint on the game as a group and individually, and that didn't happen. In the first half, we shot 34 percent so when you begin games like that you're not playing with the intensity and aggressiveness on the defensive end."

On Edmond Sumnur:

"I like him a lot; really good player. He has nice size and quickness and a good change of pace. He's a real good player."

On the team chemistry:

"We're balancing building and trying to win at the same time. I'm conscience these guys are young and inexperienced, but I don't want to use that as an excuse to not compete and try to win. We need experience. We need these games. They are going to pay off for us long term and I know that, but in the moment I want them to compete and try to win each and every game. We have a really nice group of young players so games like this they'll be good teaching tools...On some given nights we're able to play with anybody and some nights we struggle; that shows our inconsistency and youth."

Freshman Guard Marcus LoVett...

On playing well near his hometown:

"Anytime I get to play close by [my hometown], friends and family get to see me it's a good feeling to get to play in front of them. Anytime I come to any arena, I want to do good for them."

On his message to the team:

"We just have to stay in the gym and keep working hard each and every day, pushing each other. Xavier is a great team and they kept fighting hard."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:24:23 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2017, 06:31:11 PM »
Right now, we have the talent to play one way. When it works, like during the 16 to 2 run, we look good. When it doesn't, we look overmatched. We look overmatched because we are overmatched.

We're playing one of the best teams in the country in a very hostile environment and trying to beat them exclusively with two freshman guards. We were 13 and one half point dogs. We're not supposed to be winning this game nor keeping it very close. We live bythe 3 and die by the 3. It's not very complicated.

Enjoy the show that LoVett put on today. We are what we are.