@ Providence - Player of the Game

• 14 replies

desco80

@ Providence - Player of the Game
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:43:59 PM »
Lovett played his best game in an SJU uniform I thought.    He played hard D, and was more in control than usual. 

And of course he shot the ball very very well.

Marillac

Re: @ Providence - Player of the Game
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:11:21 PM »
Lovett slightly over Ponds. Lovett had three bad fouls that resulted in and 1's but was ruthless to end the game. That save was $. Ellison was big too. Owens does more with 4 and 4 than anyone I've ever seen. Williams was a big as well.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:21:33 PM »
Lovett is as talented as any player in the country save perhaps the top 1%. He also needs to focus more on getting back on defense than celebrating his buckets. The exchange with him and Cartwright was pretty pathetic IMO.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:22:34 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 09:27:33 PM »
Lovett, though Ponds was tremendous tonight, Ellison made some big plays (and carried us early) and Ahmed helped shoulder the load.  Lovett still needs to do a better job controlling the 1-on-1 stuff and getting others involved.  But when he is shooting at a high clip hard to not want the ball in his hands.

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 09:38:50 PM »
Lovett is as talented as any player in the country save perhaps the top 1%. He also needs to focus more on getting back on defense than celebrating his buckets. The exchange with him and Cartwright was pretty pathetic IMO.
Excellent observation Mase.

TONYD3

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 09:42:02 PM »
Ahmed played a very good game as well. Besides his 4th foul which was awful. And his Chris Webber moment. He went to the basket hard. He played a great second half.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »
Ahmed played a very good game as well. Besides his 4th foul which was awful. And his Chris Webber moment. He went to the basket hard. He played a great second half.

Fifth foul---which makes it worse.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 10:20:41 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen a player so consistently slow to get back after made layups. 75% of the time he's on the floor make or miss. He is good at denying and off the ball d, but he's an awful on-ball defender.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:22:41 PM »

Fifth foul---which makes it worse.

Both his fourth and fifth fouls were awful. His fourth came 27 feet from the basket with six on the shot clock. I wanted to put t my fist  through the wall.

redslope

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:45 PM »
I was looking forward to Lovett/Cartwright and it was a good on.  Lovett much better o/s shooter.  Both were exciting but Lovett one this round and POG in my estimation. Look forward to round 2 at MSG as this match up is worth price of admission.  Both guys exhibit the Al McGuire "French pastry".

Poison

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 12:23:45 AM »
Unsung hero is Williams for not fouling at the very end of the game.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 01:51:01 AM »
But of course it's Love it yet again.

He now has put up more 20+ point outings in his freshmen campaign than Nba players Harkless and Sampson.  The kid is amazing.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 01:52:55 AM »
He is good at denying and off the ball d, but he's an awful on-ball defender.

He is our second best guard defender.  The order top to bottom is Malik, Love it, Sham and Fellini.  I don't think there's anybody that would dispute this order.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 09:30:20 PM »

He is our second best guard defender.  The order top to bottom is Malik, Love it, Sham and Fellini.  I don't think there's anybody that would dispute this order.

Malik can't defend guards.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 11:05:49 PM »

Malik can't defend guards.

He can better than the other 3.