Xavier Pregame and Predictions

• 120 replies

derk

Re: Xavier Pregame and Predictions
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
Xavier didn't look good and hasn't looked good (lost their last game) and we still lost.  Year 2, no moral victories.  another loss

Think if St. John's matches up with them in tourney then 3rd time will be the charm.

That's assuming no Sumner.

tnice

« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2017, 11:42:37 AM »
IMHO best defense we have played all year.  We are on shit end of the fouls and our offense isn't clicking, but by far best defense we hVe played.  Rebounding well too.  Xavier just executes well.

Did you not see at least 6 coast to coast untouched blowbys ? No excuse for that. Happens every game.

Anyone who has played basketball past the 5th grade has done some version of a fastbreak/ 3 on 2 drill where the two guys back on D have to a) communicate who's the upman and whos the deep man, b) the upman stops the ball, forcing it to a wing, c) the deep man anticipates/reacts to the ball going to the wing and e) the upman then either slides down to cover to opposite wing or holds his spot to prevent a quick give back to the point. By the time you're a freshman in HS if you're even a remotely decent player, this drill is part of your basketball DNA, the same as dribbling the ball before taking two steps. Yet every time we play transition D, both guys drop into the paint, even with each other,  and dont even address the ballhandler until after he's past the goddamn foul line.  There's no way this could be happening without it being coached that way. Why, I have no idea. To take away the wing three I guess? But even then, if you have to give up one, wouldnt you rather give that up than a clear lane to the bucket? Maddening.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:50:09 AM by tnice »

derk

« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »
Really.  WHo is going?

Rich

Get Rice & a few of those studs he coaches. :)

That's the word on the street

Wow. Pretty big if true. I think that would be really solid

So Rich is going ? Are you talking RF ? And Mike is coming ? Are you talking Mike Rice ? Please clarify for those not in the know.

MCNPA

« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »
Really.  WHo is going?

Rich

So Rich is going ? Are you talking RF ? And Mike is coming ? Are you talking Mike Rice ? Please clarify for those not in the know.

I'd assume it would be Richmond leaving and Mike Rice coming.  That's how I read it.  That said, mike rice made some mistakes, but has accounted for them, and would make a very good choice as an assistant.  He's got tons of connections in the tri-state, and is an organized coach.  Would be a big score, assuming he and Matt don't kill each other...lol

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2017, 12:45:39 PM »
Uncharacteristic 1 for 4 for Love it from the line cost dearly down the stretch.

Bashir 3 for 6 from three and rest of team 2 for 17 from downtown including 0 for 6 from Ponds.  Very uncharacteristic.

Our defense s*cks.  We gotta do something about that.

Got killed on the boards again.  17 offensive bounds for Xavier.  That's a lot. 

Sumner going down late with gruesome knee injury sparked our run to make it a very entertaining contest late.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:46:21 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
Really.  WHo is going?

Rich

I'd assume it would be Richmond leaving and Mike Rice coming.  That's how I read it.  That said, mike rice made some mistakes, but has accounted for them, and would make a very good choice as an assistant.  He's got tons of connections in the tri-state, and is an organized coach.  Would be a big score, assuming he and Matt don't kill each other...lol

Correct assumption. As for Matt, he needs to know his role

« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
Really.  WHo is going?

Rich

This is one made up rumor by Baldi that I hope comes true.

« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »
Really.  WHo is going?

Rich

This is one made up rumor by Baldi that I hope comes true.

"Made up"? Again, if I hear something, I post it. Some actually happen, some don't. This is a message board, I wish more would post what they hear.

MCNPA

« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2017, 02:28:13 PM »
Point is, I think Rice's problems are behind him.  He's very intense and organized.  Would be a great pickup imo.  He's tireless and would be that bench coach that people have been hoping for.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:29:20 PM by MCNPA »

redslope

« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2017, 02:43:16 PM »
I have seen no comparisons between this game and first game vs. X.  Other than the rebounding which has been a season long problem as no bulk up front to hold position down low, the team actually improved.  From a defensive perspective we played better.  Game 1 X shoots 59% overall (47% from 3)  in Game 2 47% overall and 28% from 3). Game 1 X has 10 T/O's; game 2 19 T/O's.  we have 1 steal in game 1; game 2-7 steals.  Problem was that we started slow/lacked energy at the beginning of the game; ergo, should Owens start?

paultzman

« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »
Xavier press release

CINCINNATI --- Xavier University team doctor Dr. Robert Burger confirmed today that sophomore guard Edmond Sumner suffered a season-ending torn ACL injury in his left knee in Xavier's game vs. St. John's at Madison Square Garden on Sunday. An MRI confirmed the result today.

Dr. Burger said Sumner will be scheduled for surgery in the near future on a date to be determined.

"I am devastated for Edmond," said Xavier head coach Chris Mack. "Unfortunately, sometimes bad things happen to great people. Through diligent rehab, hard work and prayer I know Ed will return to the court better than ever. He's an awesome kid, a fearless competitor and a terrific teammate. I'm going to miss coaching him the rest of the year. As far as our current team is concerned, our goals have not chan

goredmen

« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2017, 03:13:14 PM »
Xavier press release

CINCINNATI --- Xavier University team doctor Dr. Robert Burger confirmed today that sophomore guard Edmond Sumner suffered a season-ending torn ACL injury in his left knee in Xavier's game vs. St. John's at Madison Square Garden on Sunday. An MRI confirmed the result today.

Dr. Burger said Sumner will be scheduled for surgery in the near future on a date to be determined.

"I am devastated for Edmond," said Xavier head coach Chris Mack. "Unfortunately, sometimes bad things happen to great people. Through diligent rehab, hard work and prayer I know Ed will return to the court better than ever. He's an awesome kid, a fearless competitor and a terrific teammate. I'm going to miss coaching him the rest of the year. As far as our current team is concerned, our goals have not chan

Brutal for the kid, for X and the conference. The Big East went from 4 teams with a legit chance to make the 2nd weekend of the NCAA Tourney to just 2, one of those being Butler who I think is pretty overrated.

Marillac

« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2017, 03:23:49 PM »
Xavier press release

Just terrible. This kid had NBA all-star potential. This is  deveststing for
Xavier and the comference. A month ago it looked like we had a chance for a 1985 repeat.

« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2017, 03:41:11 PM »
Xavier press release

Another huge loss for college ball and the conference. Gotta think Marquette might be the 2nd best team in conference

derk

« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2017, 04:02:46 PM »
Too bad for the kid. Tremendous talent. Hope he makes it back 100 %

« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2017, 06:34:54 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2017, 09:58:29 PM »
Did the Brooklyn Brawler beat Chris Mack's ass after the game or did his streak end at one?

SJUFAN

« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2017, 11:00:15 PM »
I kinda like Ellison in general but towards the end too many times he took the ball up and shot or drove himself when ponds or others were open.  He needs to find the scorers at end of game, especially considering he's a terrible FT shooter.
+1

So many times he got into the lane and had somebody wide open on the wing for a kick out and didnt see him. Kid has a pro body and a ton of upside but God he makes soooo many bad decisions.
Defensively a good defender

He is a terrible defender. Lovett should not be grabbing more rebounds than him. Only Mussini is a worse help defender.

Marillac

« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2017, 11:13:55 PM »
I kinda like Ellison in general but towards the end too many times he took the ball up and shot or drove himself when ponds or others were open.  He needs to find the scorers at end of game, especially considering he's a terrible FT shooter.
+1

So many times he got into the lane and had somebody wide open on the wing for a kick out and didnt see him. Kid has a pro body and a ton of upside but God he makes soooo many bad decisions.
Defensively a good defender

He is a terrible defender. Lovett should not be grabbing more rebounds than him. Only Mussini is a worse help defender.

He's an awful defender and rebounder. He's got great size and guard skills--the blatant missed pass to Ponds at the end of the Xavier game notwithstanding.

Dan

« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2017, 12:50:58 AM »
Xavier didn't look good and hasn't looked good (lost their last game) and we still lost.  Year 2, no moral victories.  another loss

Think if St. John's matches up with them in tourney then 3rd time will be the charm.
now that sumner is out, would definitely agree lol
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:51:13 AM by Dan »