Xavier - Player of the Game

• 7 replies

desco80

Xavier - Player of the Game
« on: January 30, 2017, 11:00:27 AM »
Ponds gets my vote.
He did a nice job of driving to the rim in the second half when it was clear that our 3s weren't falling. 

derk

Re: Xavier - Player of the Game
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 11:48:08 AM »
Stats aside the leader of this club is Lovett. He turns games around when we otherwise would get blown out.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »
Stats aside the leader of this club is Lovett. He turns games around when we otherwise would get blown out.

I think Ponds is almost always the better option. Donnny Marshall said the same. Lovett's missed three off the bounce when we were down three with 20 seconds on the shot clock sealed the loss.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 01:42:59 PM »

I think Ponds is almost always the better option. Donnny Marshall said the same. Lovett's missed three off the bounce when we were down three with 20 seconds on the shot clock sealed the loss.

Love it shoots a higher percentage from 2; from 3; and they're tied from the line.  What reason other than biased fandom, which I understand, is Sham "almost always the better option"? 

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »

Love it shoots a higher percentage from 2; from 3; and they're tied from the line.  What reason other than biased fandom, which I understand, is Sham "almost always the better option"? 

Lovett is our second best player. I think he has made a very high % of his bad shots thus far, and I don't  expect him to keep that up. Ponds and Lovett both have impressive shooting %s, but Ponds puts up two more treys a game and draws more fouls.

Lovett falls down every single drive and then freezes for a second. It's so puzzling and it constantly stresses our d. By contrast, Sumner got  back exceptionally well on his drives and we didn't have a single fastbreak point until he was injured. Ponds almost always stays on his feet on his drives since they are more controlled. As a result, he can get set in defense better. I also feel Ponds is more accurate and has a better touch on his passes.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 05:18:17 PM »

Lovett is our second best player. I think he has made a very high % of his bad shots thus far, and I don't  expect him to keep that up. Ponds and Lovett both have impressive shooting %s, but Ponds puts up two more treys a game and draws more fouls.

Lovett falls down every single drive and then freezes for a second. It's so puzzling and it constantly stresses our d. By contrast, Sumner got  back exceptionally well on his drives and we didn't have a single fastbreak point until he was injured. Ponds almost always stays on his feet on his drives since they are more controlled. As a result, he can get set in defense better. I also feel Ponds is more accurate and has a better touch on his passes.

Ponds is our second best player. 

If he's making a high percentage of them - are they really bad shots?

Yes, Marcus does go to the floor on all his drives.  I think he's just trying to get the "and one" on every shot.  At least he gets up quickly,  hustles back and looks engaged and like he's actively trying to defend.  Sham appears at times to loaf more on D.

If Ponds had more accuracy and better touch on his passes than Love it...then he wouldn't have less assists.

Here, I'll help you.  Ponds is a better rebounder.

I love them both.

Foad

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 05:57:41 PM »

Tough call, but I'd vote for Lovett as presently constituted. Ponds has a higher ceiling and I think will be a better player when all's said and done but not now, not quite. He's a really awful defender and although I like his laid back demeanor I think it hurts him a little bit on the court. Regardless if this back court is around in 2019 I will briefly emerge from my underground lair to attend the final four.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 10:19:23 PM »
Regardless if this back court is around in 2019 I will briefly emerge from my underground lair to attend the final four.

It's a date.