3 Point Line moved back

• 5 replies
3 Point Line moved back
« on: July 22, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »
Katz has a piece on the 3 point line moving back.  Overall I don't think it will affect the guards too much.  I think we'll see a very minor drop in their percentage but I do think some bigs will shoot fewer 3s.

It should be interesting at MSG...is there going to be 3 different lines on the court?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3481963
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

pmg911

Re: 3 Point Line moved back
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »
Katz has a piece on the 3 point line moving back.  Overall I don't think it will affect the guards too much.  I think we'll see a very minor drop in their percentage but I do think some bigs will shoot fewer 3s.

It should be interesting at MSG...is there going to be 3 different lines on the court?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3481963

When you say "the guards" do mean college guards in general or St. John's specifically..?

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 01:50:57 PM »
college guards in general...as for St. John's shooters I'm torn on how much it will affect us.  We already couldn't shoot(even more so since Wright left)...so any drop in percentage should be minimal overall.  Will this allow teams to pack it in more?  I'm not so sure I buy that given its only a 1 foot difference and teams we're already packing it in on us.

I think it will have a minimal effect on Mason and Horne.  I think they both have the range to extend another foot.  Boothe was 5/31 from 3...so how much worse can it get?  Maybe this will actually keep him from heaving them up and make him take a step in before shooting which should help his overall percentage.  Kennedy seemed to toe the line on all of his attempts so this could affect him.  With Wright gone lets hope Q. Roberts can shoot the ball because it appears we are pretty limited as far as 3 point shooters go.

Does anyone know if the high school level has plans to move the line back?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 08:53:20 PM »
Mason shoots 3's from NBA range anyways so I don't see it affecting him much. I've been playing at Monmouth University for the past 3 weeks with their incoming freshman and to tell you the truth I didn't even notice the difference in the lines. They still have the HS line painted on court and its literally one shoe length's difference.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:37:10 PM »
Mason shoots 3's from NBA range anyways so I don't see it affecting him much.

He certainly shoots them but doesn't make them from NBA range..

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 09:55:07 PM »
Mason shoots 3's from NBA range anyways so I don't see it affecting him much.

He certainly shoots them but doesn't make them from NBA range..

Not too many college players make them