Any given 40 min

• 37 replies
Any given 40 min
« on: February 02, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »
Do you think St. John's can beat any team in the Big East? Is there a team(s) they couldn't beat?

Does this do anything to your confidence level now and/or future?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Any given 40 min
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
Like I said in the other thread, Villanova is the only team that really scares me. Someone brought up Seton Hall, but if Yakwe turned the corner last night, I think we are right there. Crazy thing to say, but I think Yakwe is the key if we are going to make something happen the rest of the way

QuanMan

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »
I think we'll be protecting our home court with pride in March, gunning for that 1st round bye, bring on the conference.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 01:00:58 PM »
Teams with talented, physical bigs are extremely difficult for us to match up with.  Aside from Creighton, there aren't many teams like that in the big east.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:03:57 PM by Howie71 »

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »
I brought up Seton Hall.  And Georgetown.  I don't think we have the size up front to beat them, absent a day in which we shoot 50% percent from 3 and do other things well.  Yawke was great last night, as were Owens and DW.  But a front line with Delgado (best rebounder in the league and one of the best in the country), Sanogo (another excellent, physical rebounder) and Desi (big for his position) will cause us all kinds of problems.  Those are three grown men (Angel is 22, I think).  Those are the two games, and perhaps Creighton, where not having Sima is a problem.

Like I said in the other thread, Villanova is the only team that really scares me. Someone brought up Seton Hall, but if Yakwe turned the corner last night, I think we are right there. Crazy thing to say, but I think Yakwe is the key if we are going to make something happen the rest of the way

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 01:33:54 PM »
At the Garden I think we could be in it with Hall & GTown but agreed they would cause the most problems outside of Nova.

goredmen

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »
We can beat anybody at home except Nova. But we won't be able to put together 3 really good games in 3 days to win the whole BET.

We have 7 games left, 3 at home and 4 on the road. We will be pretty big underdogs in all 4 road games. The 3 home games will be about pickem. I hope we win 2 of the 3 home games to get to 7-11 which would be a really solid step forward for this group

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
We can beat anybody at home except Nova. But we won't be able to put together 3 really good games in 3 days to win the whole BET.

This is where I'm at.  the team definitely has the talent to beat nearly everyone, but they have shown no ability to play consistently, even against lower level talent

edited to add: so much basketball left to play, but as the standings are now, the path would likely be xavier --> creighton --> nova.   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 02:19:23 PM by apesNapes »

Johnny23

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 02:32:52 PM »
I hope Yakwe turned the corner. In all honesty Marquette seems real soft on the interior so buyer beware that last night wasn't a mirage.

I want to see Yakwe show up like last night against the Hall and G'town.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 02:36:03 PM »
I hope Yakwe turned the corner. In all honesty Marquette seems real soft on the interior so buyer beware that last night wasn't a mirage.

He played well, so deserves credit, but I remember a play in the first half where Yakwe needed to gather himself before going up to score. No Marquette player was anywhere near him, so he had time. Against Nova that doesn't work. Yakwe needs on how he begins his move. He's all over the place.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »
Really sucks to have done so poorly in OOC. We are playing like a tournament caliber team.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 02:55:16 PM »
We can't beat teams with beef this year. Marquette was just as skinny as us. Hopefully it's a different story next year with Clark's 235 pounds, Williams after actual weight room work (I believe he's functionally much stronger than Jones), and Owens checking in 25 lbs heavier. 

Johnny23

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »

He played well, so deserves credit, but I remember a play in the first half where Yakwe needed to gather himself before going up to score. No Marquette player was anywhere near him, so he had time. Against Nova that doesn't work. Yakwe needs on how he begins his move. He's all over the place.

Yeah he needs to get quicker and more deliberate in his moves overall when he gets the ball in his hands. He looked real good last night. Those hands need to really improve though. Ellison had that nice drive and dish  right under the basket to Yakwe and right through his hands. Needs to get better with that.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 03:14:44 PM »
We can't beat teams with beef this year. Marquette was just as skinny as us. Hopefully it's a different story next year with Clark's 235 pounds, Williams after actual weight room work (I believe he's functionally much stronger than Jones), and Owens checking in 25 lbs heavier. 

How did Marquette beat Nova? If we played Nova like we did last night, does that give us a chance?
Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 03:25:31 PM »

How did Marquette beat Nova? If we played Nova like we did last night, does that give us a chance?

I don't think there is a chance. Wright is not a dick so he doesn't purposely run up the score  like other coaches. Because of that, I don't  see a 30 pt blowout like it could be.

Marquette can beat Nova when their shooting is there and Fischer comes to play.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 03:29:53 PM »

Yeah he needs to get quicker and more deliberate in his moves overall when he gets the ball in his hands. He looked real good last night. Those hands need to really improve though. Ellison had that nice drive and dish  right under the basket to Yakwe and right through his hands. Needs to get better with that.

I agree. This is what he's capable of, but for whatever reason his head hasn't been in the game. Part of the problem with his hands is that he's not ready for the ball. I don't think he is as experienced as the rest of the team at moving the ball within a system. That's his biggest problem. He gets the ball, and like a ton of Jarvis and Norm guys, he isn't ready to make a decision.

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »

We have 7 games left, 3 at home and 4 on the road. We will be pretty big underdogs in all 4 road games. The 3 home games will be about pickem. I hope we win 2 of the 3 home games to get to 7-11 which would be a really solid step forward for this group

If we want in the NCAA tourny, then we really don't have a choice. That's the only way we get there.

I'm good with 7 wins, but SHU, PC, and G-Town all suck on the road. If we can win all 3 and steal a road win somewhere, 9-9 would be damn sweet, after last years 1-17 B.E. record.

Wods317

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »
Really sucks to have done so poorly in OOC. We are playing like a tournament caliber team.

Can't really look back but if we were playing like this earlier in the season we are probably something like 14-10 right now instead of 11-13. Young team with a pretty young (experience wise) coaching staff. It took us time to come together. Hopefully we will not have these growing pains next year and hit the ground running. It is nice to see us play so well and I think if we hit our shots and play with the intensity we have brought in some recent wins then we can challenge anyone in the conference.

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 03:48:01 PM »
If we play defense and rebound like we did last night we definitely can play with most teams. NOva is much better. Creighton and Xavier were much better, not any more.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 04:13:41 PM »
If we play defense and rebound like we did last night we definitely can play with most teams. NOva is much better. Creighton and Xavier were much better, not any more.

Agree.  If we can play even a bit of defense and rebound decently, then I feel we can play with and beat any team in the conference, other than Villanova. 

They also need better shot selection.  I find myself, at times, cringing with some of their shots.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:16:10 PM by mjdinkins »