Zach - Post ...why knock him?

• 42 replies

Poison

Re: Zach - Post ...why knock him?
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »
I think Zach does a good job covering SJU Hoops.

He absolutely does. Blame for the lack of clarity regarding LoVett’s injury falls on the staff. If anyone ever wants to point a finger, point it at the staff. They are the ones who have chosen to not tell us anything.

True, but as a journalist you are supposed to ask questions, and a good journalist asks tough questions.  Being a parrot spreading propaganda is just shedding your journalistic integrity.

He works for the NY Post.

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »
The fact he was Matt A' s mouthpiece to gain leverage for a new contract is ridiculous.

Foad

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 01:18:05 PM »
Yeah, the NY f’n Times is garbage. Just pop on Fox News you dumb shits.

I don't watch Fox News either you stupid cunt. I only read Der Sturmer.

Liar

I don't watch fox news. I don't watch any news. I mean sure, sometimes I jerk off during the Five but only when Kimberly Guilfoyle's on.

sju89tr

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »
Zach gives us press, very few others do, why knock him?

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 12:28:08 PM »
I understand where people here are coming from on Zach and in the interest of my own biases and full disclosure, I am personal friends with him.  First off, the info he passes along comes from strong sources.  With that said, in my own mind and based off of basic common sense, there is zero doubt that these sources are full of $hit and at best have been providing half-turths and misleading info.  I do not blame Zach one bit for publishing the info given to him however I do agree with an above poster that its gotten to the post where he needs to include in those tweets/articles a disclaimer that the staff has been wrong repeatedly on these injuries and absences.  If I was Zach I would be absolutely livid at this staff for making me look bad.

To me, I lay the blame at the feet of the staff/athletic department for this, and overall I think this staff has done a good job.  To repeatedly push out info that is misleading and defies common sense on what actually is happening is awful PR strategy.  All they are doing is discrediting themselves and losing some aspect of trust with a fairly large portion of the fanbase.  They could easily just say a player is injured and is out for an undetermined period of time with an injury instead of saying he was "hopeful" or "likely" for stretches of games over with Lovett or "likely" with Ponds for Seton Hall. 

Just look at what happened yesterday: Lovett and Ponds both didn't participate in a basic workout where the team was simply putting up shots.  How do I know this? Because they were both dicking around streaming live on Instagram last night as the team was at the arena.  Lovett was streaming live from the arena and Ponds was at the hotel, which means he wasn't even with the team.  Now, just a few weeks ago Mullin was saying that Lovett was doing "basketball related things" and even last week or so said he was starting to shoot.  And yet yesterday when all the team was doing was putting up shots, he wasn't participating.  Do you think Tom Izzo would allow a "day to day" injured player to travel with the team but stay back at hotel to stream live on social media while the rest of the team was practicing? What about Jay Wright, think that would fly with him? Coach Cal or Coach K?? This is becoming somewhat of a circus and Lavin'esque.  Not a good look.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

hnk

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »
In the mysterious case of Mr. Loveltt, is it possible that it is not staff's fault or Zach's fault, but the playe'rs fault.  Since both players traveled to Nebraska, isn't it likely staff thinks their return to the court is or should be soon,

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »
In the mysterious case of Mr. Loveltt, is it possible that it is not staff's fault or Zach's fault, but the playe'rs fault.  Since both players traveled to Nebraska, isn't it likely staff thinks their return to the court is or should be soon,

Of course its very possible that the player himself is choosing to sit out either because he doesn't feel fully comfortable on the knee yet or that he wants to protect his pro prospects and not get re-injured (and I wouldn't blame em for it either).  But staff should be more upfront about it while also sticking up for the player if that is indeed the case.  Don't try telling us that the kid is "starting to do basketball things" in practice when he is in street clothes as the team is putting up shots and hes streaming himself on social media doing just that.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

hnk

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 12:53:22 PM »
Perhaps, he was starting to do basketball things.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:54:32 PM by hnk »

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »
Maybe staff is managing opponents game planning by keeping them guessing based on media reports?

goredmen

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 02:53:55 PM »
Maybe staff is managing opponents game planning by keeping them guessing based on media reports?

I don't know what the staff's motivation is for feeding Zach phony info on the injuries but I'm pretty sure that's not it. Would be embarrassing if that's the actual reason.

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 02:56:13 PM »

That's fair and a decent chance why they maybe taking this approach, but they could just say a player is "out for an undisclosed period" or "out indefinitely" and accomplish the same thing while also not misleading fans or giving false hope by saying a player is "hopeful" or "likely" multiple games in a row.

hnk

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 03:01:30 PM »
Coach Mullin has said when they're ready to play they will play and not before.  What is it you would like him to say?  He's a coach not a predictor.  A coach with a great jump shot and an improving program.

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 03:30:09 PM »
Don't forget about the HIPAA privacy regulations.  I would assume that Lovett would need to give permission to SJU in order for the staff to give specific medical information out to the public.  Since Lovett is so concerned about going professional, I bet he has said no to giving out information about his medical issues fearing that it will hurt his career since it appears that the issue is serious.  This puts the staff in a bind and makes them look like they are not being transparent.

goredmen

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 03:36:47 PM »
Don't forget about the HIPAA privacy regulations.  I would assume that Lovett would need to give permission to SJU in order for the staff to give specific medical information out to the public.  Since Lovett is so concerned about going professional, I bet he has said no to giving out information about his medical issues fearing that it will hurt his career since it appears that the issue is serious.  This puts the staff in a bind and makes them look like they are not being transparent.

A ton of college players get hurt every year. We know exactly what the injury is and how the long the timetable is with pretty much all of them. Also they can still say "out indefinitely" without saying what the injury is if they don't want to look like fools.

Also, this doesn't help Marcus at all either. If any potential future employers were paying attention they'd see a guy who is going to miss at least 6 weeks with what was apparently a day to day injury. Pro teams don't like slow healers
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:37:09 PM by goredmen »

hnk

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 03:48:29 PM »
And one who doesn't regularly show up on time......has defensive lapses......shoots too much.....has too few assists...and stands way under six feet tall.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:56:13 PM by hnk »

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »

He absolutely does. Blame for the lack of clarity regarding LoVett’s injury falls on the staff. If anyone ever wants to point a finger, point it at the staff. They are the ones who have chosen to not tell us anything.

True, but as a journalist you are supposed to ask questions, and a good journalist asks tough questions.  Being a parrot spreading propaganda is just shedding your journalistic integrity.

Having done some work with the media, it's a bit of a slippery slope. Asking the tough questions and running the risk of pissing off the current staff, could easily burn a bridge. As a result, it's easier to just be a mouth piece for the staff and put out what you're fed. At the end of the day he's probably got to maintain that relationship to remain successful at his job.

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 04:45:18 PM »

That's fair and a decent chance why they maybe taking this approach, but they could just say a player is "out for an undisclosed period" or "out indefinitely" and accomplish the same thing while also not misleading fans or giving false hope by saying a player is "hopeful" or "likely" multiple games in a row.

Hope you are not a Patriot fan. Head would explode with Belichek's injury updates.

goredmen

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2018, 04:59:41 PM »

Having done some work with the media, it's a bit of a slippery slope. Asking the tough questions and running the risk of pissing off the current staff, could easily burn a bridge. As a result, it's easier to just be a mouth piece for the staff and put out what you're fed. At the end of the day he's probably got to maintain that relationship to remain successful at his job.

The problem is when all you are is fake news, people will tune you out. See what's happening with NYT and CNN

Foad

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 05:21:08 PM »

The problem is when all you are is fake news, people will tune you out. See what's happening with NYT and CNN

ZB is reporting what he's been told. Personally I don't think the staff has any obligation to tell reporters the truth and as far as that goes the more counter intelligence they get into the pres the better. Whereas the NYT and CNN make things up and report it as news and rely upon their reputation as truth tellers to get rubes to believe it as fact. It's hardly the same thing.

goredmen

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »

ZB is reporting what he's been told. Personally I don't think the staff has any obligation to tell reporters the truth and as far as that goes the more counter intelligence they get into the pres the better. Whereas the NYT and CNN make things up and report it as news and rely upon their reputation as truth tellers to get rubes to believe it as fact. It's hardly the same thing.

You're right, but I didn't say that Zach's motivations were similar to those of the NYT or CNN. Still, as you asked earlier in the thread - if you don't believe what somebody is reporting why would you pay attention? If he keeps posting things that turn out not to be true, people will eventually catch on and tune him out. Fake news is fake news regardless of what the agenda behind it is or if there is an agenda at all