Tomorrow’s game...

• 97 replies
Re: Tomorrow’s game...
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2018, 09:40:08 PM »
I'm sure you're just doing this to get a rise but Hornacek 2 best years were 20.1 and 19.1. Mullin averaged over 20 6 straight years with 5 of the 6 over 25

Yes, I am. I don’t even know what team Hornacek played for. People are crazy enough to defend Mullin the coach, despite an 0-10 record. A record which is clear as day. Seems just as reasonable to me to question what we all saw with our own eyes when he played.

Again, name one guy that posted Mullin is doing a good job. People are just giving reasons that it makes sense he be given another year. There was a bunch of reasons and yes the fact that he is Chris Mullin does warrant a little more leeway then we have given other non Mullin coaches.

People are giving reasons to bring him back, but that doesn't necessarily means it makes sense.  It's just an opinion.  Both sides are giving their opinion on the matter.

If he goes 0-fer or win one to two conference games in his third season; it makes more sense, logically thinking, to fire him than to bring him back.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:42:35 PM by mjdinkins »

Poison

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2018, 09:45:34 PM »
I'm sure you're just doing this to get a rise but Hornacek 2 best years were 20.1 and 19.1. Mullin averaged over 20 6 straight years with 5 of the 6 over 25

Yes, I am. I don’t even know what team Hornacek played for. People are crazy enough to defend Mullin the coach, despite an 0-10 record. A record which is clear as day. Seems just as reasonable to me to question what we all saw with our own eyes when he played.

Again, name one guy that posted Mullin is doing a good job. People are just giving reasons that it makes sense he be given another year. There was a bunch of reasons and yes the fact that he is Chris Mullin does warrant a little more leeway then we have given other non Mullin coaches.

He’s being paid 2 million dollars a year. He was already given way too much respect when they gave him the job.

Poison

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2018, 09:47:49 PM »

People are giving reasons to bring him back, but that doesn't necessarily means it makes sense.  It's just an opinion.  Both sides are giving their opinion on the matter.

If he goes 0-fer or win one to two conference games in his third season; it makes more sense, logically thinking, to fire him than to bring him back.

If he goes 0-18 we’ve hit rock bottom, and we’re starting over regardless.

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2018, 09:49:12 PM »

" I hope Mullin quits" posted over and over is an opinion yes but logical thinking? I gave my reasons I think he should stay. Disagree if you want but at least state something.  You know like recruiting will suffer if he stays. Or we might lose out on a quality replacement that you name. Or kids may defect because of unhappiness. At least you can have a debatable discussion on things like that. Stating Mullin stinks over and over, what is the point. As childish as Poison was in deciding to trash Mullin as player because he was pouting, well at least it was a different tact.

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2018, 09:57:12 PM »

" I hope Mullin quits" posted over and over is an opinion yes but logical thinking? I gave my reasons I think he should stay. Disagree if you want but at least state something.  You know like recruiting will suffer if he stays. Or we might lose out on a quality replacement that you name. Or kids may defect because of unhappiness. At least you can have a debatable discussion on things like that. Stating Mullin stinks over and over, what is the point. As childish as Poison was in deciding to trash Mullin as player because he was pouting, well at least it was a different tact.

Who gives a shit what they are parroting?!  I'm saying, logical thinking typically states if a coach goes winless or wins one or two games in his third season on the job, then it's grounds for firing. 

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:57:56 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2018, 10:04:01 PM »

Who gives a shit what they are parroting?!  I'm saying, logical thinking typically states if a coach goes winless or wins one or two games in his third season on the job, then it's grounds for firing.

Except that recruiting is getting better, and the team losing personnel was unfortunate, with the short bench.  Mullin has to come back next season. Otherwise it's another full reboot, guaranteed. If he comes back next year there is a shot at normalcy. Of he stinks again, and again, then he's gone at the end of year 5.

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2018, 10:07:36 PM »
I see the kids are up way past their bedtime again....

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2018, 10:09:54 PM »

Except that recruiting is getting better, and the team losing personnel was unfortunate, with the short bench.  Mullin has to come back next season. Otherwise it's another full reboot, guaranteed. If he comes back next year there is a shot at normalcy. Of he stinks again, and again, then he's gone at the end of year 5.

Recruiting is decent, IMO.  Let's say it can get better.  Maybe, if the other staff members (outside of one) worked a bit more harder and diligently on the recruiting trail, then it could be better.

Auburn has a short bench.  Villanova has a short bench.  The short bench argument only goes so far.  The bench is short because of the staff not working hard enough.

Dude, if we go 0-18, 1-17, or 2-16....  There could be a chance where we're rebooting anyhow.  He'll get his 4th season, but that doesn't mean it's deserved.  He only should receive a 5th season, if (and only IF) we make the NCAA Tournament.  Otherwise, he should be served his walking papers.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:14:51 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2018, 10:11:15 PM »

What is logical in our situation. Program that once could state it was one of the winningest programs in the country and a perennial tourney team hits a 26 year rough patch. Rough patch that is periodically  interrupted by losing in 1st round of the tourney.  No one is consistently happy with any coach since one of the two faces of the program retired. Far and away the best player comes back to try and get back to what we had 26 years ago. Two and a half years in half the fan base wants him fired. That is not a typical situation. Even Houston situation was not the same. You could make the case that Drexler was Houston's what Mantle? DiMaggio? They also had Olajuwon and Elvin Hayes. Most teams would be a little more patient and be wary of firing their Babe Ruth. You can scoff all you like but you know it is true. If any other coach besides Norm or Louie went 0 for the BE they would have been fired. So it is not just our opinions but most likely the school's as well.

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2018, 10:12:41 PM »

What is logical in our situation. Program that once could state it was one of the winningest programs in the country and a perennial tourney team hits a 26 year rough patch. Rough patch that is periodically  interrupted by losing in 1st round of the tourney.  No one is consistently happy with any coach since one of the two faces of the program retired. Far and away the best player comes back to try and get back to what we had 26 years ago. Two and a half years in half the fan base wants him fired. That is not a typical situation. Even Houston situation was not the same. You could make the case that Drexler was Houston's what Mantle? DiMaggio? They also had Olajuwon and Elvin Hayes. Most teams would be a little more patient and be wary of firing their Babe Ruth. You can scoff all you like but you know it is true. If any other coach besides Norm or Louie went 0 for the BE they would have been fired. So it is not just our opinions but most likely the school's as well.

Mr. Fallacy, have a nice evening!

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2018, 10:15:15 PM »
Bottom line the University can not afford another buy out. Mullin will be here until his contract is up. If the team turns it around next season he will probably get an extension for recruiting purposes.

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2018, 10:17:44 PM »

Allow Inigo Montoya to respond: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2018, 10:18:28 PM »

Allow Inigo Montoya to respond: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

Nah....  More like you're too silly to know what it means.  Have a nice evening, though.

Foad

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2018, 09:21:42 AM »
Good luck to all of you! I always felt that Chris Mullin and Jeff Hornacek were basically the same player. Could have taken either one on the Dream Team.

Confusing. On the one hand Hornacek was a walk on in college and you've expressed at great length what a critical role guys like Elijah Holifield play, being worth as they are several wins a year in the BE. On the other hand Hornacek walked on in Iowa - light years from the mean streets of Scarsdale where you grew up - meaning that he's a sissy and a hillbilly.  Whereas Mullin's a native NYer and all Nyers are the bees knees. Are you saying now that you'd prefer the sissy?

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2018, 09:32:18 AM »
1. Started with the Forest Pork Store on Jericho Turnpike in Huntington. We drove down from Stony Point in Rockland, and ironically a car with CT plates pulled into parking lot in front of us. Don't know if they do heros. They might do a leberkasen  plate, but not a deli type sandwich selection. Loaded up on wursts and salads.
2. Sagamore Hill on the way back to Queens. The Museum is free, we had already done the mansion tour. Nice day for outside walking.
3. Stammtisch. Jaegerschnitzel with hunter gravy main course. Appy was a cup of goulash. Weiss biers with lemon. Bought more supplies in the Stammtisch store next door. Restaurant was packed.

Jaeger and goulash is the best.

Hope everyone had a good day yesterday.

Poison

« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
Good luck to all of you! I always felt that Chris Mullin and Jeff Hornacek were basically the same player. Could have taken either one on the Dream Team.

Confusing. On the one hand Hornacek was a walk on in college and you've expressed at great length what a critical role guys like Elijah Holifield play, being worth as they are several wins a year in the BE. On the other hand Hornacek walked on in Iowa - light years from the mean streets of Scarsdale where you grew up - meaning that he's a sissy and a hillbilly.  Whereas Mullin's a native NYer and all Nyers are the bees knees. Are you saying now that you'd prefer the sissy?

You’re having trouble following along. I’ve expressed that Holifield ISN’T critical but that his loss is one that we would miss during the season. And clearly I was correct. Trimble can’t put the ball on the floor. There was talk of him being a combo guard. (Insert bad joke about McDonald’s combo meal here) but he isn’t.

Losing LoVett or Ponds or Simon was likely if the past was taken into consideration when this team was assembled. Can you remember the last contending St.John’s team that didn’t have play through ths loss of one or more significant injuries? I cannot, but have at it smart guy.

Foad

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2018, 10:19:55 AM »

You’re having trouble following along. I’ve expressed that Holifield ISN’T critical but that his loss is one that we would miss during the season. And clearly I was correct. Trimble can’t put the ball on the floor. There was talk of him being a combo guard. (Insert bad joke about McDonald’s combo meal here) but he isn’t.

Critical was me employing hyperbole to make you look silly. Not that you need help there. Just like I don't think the streets of Scarsdale are actually rough and tumble or that everyone who doesn't ride the Metro North to work is a hillbilly. That all was more sarcasm. Anyway, what you said about EH was that "it would have helped to have him. Probably 1 or 2 games would have gone our way."  I disagree.

Poison

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2018, 10:25:22 AM »

Critical was me employing hyperbole to make you look silly. Not that you need help there. Just like I don't think the streets of Scarsdale are actually rough and tumble or that everyone who doesn't ride the Metro North to work is a hillbilly. That all was more sarcasm. Anyway, what you said about EH was that "it would have helped to have him. Probably 1 or 2 games would have gone our way."  I disagree.

Joey De La Rosa, quite possibly the worst walk on we've ever had that played helped us win a BE game in a season where a loss would have meant the NIT. Check mate bitch.

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2018, 10:29:15 AM »
https://nypost.com/2018/01/27/danny-hurleys-a-monster-and-rhode-island-is-the-beneficiary/

Yeah, but Mullin was a much better BE player than Hurley was.

To be fair he was also a much, much better Non conference player, HS player , NBA player, Olympic player,  All star Player....
I mean since you brought it up.

He was, but looking at his playing career objectively he was the worst of the best? Of the Dream Teamers he was the weakest link. Just saying.
Actually believe Mully was fourth leading scorer behind MJ Barkley and maybe it was Magic ahead of him. Think he averaged around 11-12 points.

I know this probably won’t go over well here, but I always thought Walter Berry was the better player.

See this might be your best post and it was done by accident while trying to Baldi the board.
Berry 's Junior year was by far the best year of any ST John's player that I have ever seen.
If the team wants to fire Mullin and hire "The Truth" then that is something I can get on board with.
Note to Tony that last part was a joke. Sort of.

Speaking of 'The Truth" what is with recycling or stealing nicknames? Paul Pierce stole Berry's and Ladainan Tomlinson stole Lawrence Taylor's.

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2018, 10:40:02 AM »

Joey De La Rosa, quite possibly the worst walk on we've ever had that played helped us win a BE game in a season where a loss would have meant the NIT. Check mate bitch.

Grrrr!!!  ;D