Owens Leaving

• 545 replies
Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #500 on: April 12, 2018, 05:40:23 PM »
Lmao

Marillac

« Reply #501 on: April 12, 2018, 05:43:16 PM »
Owens is such a b*tch. He ran from Tennessee and then they became a three seed this past season without him. Now he's running from Keita and SJU to Texas Tech because they lost six of their top eight players including their two leading scorers. We almost certainly have a better shot of making the dance than them. The kid is scared of competing for minutes.
This is beyond absurd. Even if keita played 40 minutes a game their would be minutes here. Delusional is not a strong enough word.

In what world do Keita and Owens play more than a few minutes on the court together? Owens is a useless offensive player. Clark can defend the PF spot better and has good offensive skill. Do you even think before you post?

Poison

« Reply #502 on: April 12, 2018, 07:02:07 PM »
Owens is such a b*tch. He ran from Tennessee and then they became a three seed this past season without him. Now he's running from Keita and SJU to Texas Tech because they lost six of their top eight players including their two leading scorers. We almost certainly have a better shot of making the dance than them. The kid is scared of competing for minutes.
This is beyond absurd. Even if keita played 40 minutes a game their would be minutes here. Delusional is not a strong enough word.

In what world do Keita and Owens play more than a few minutes on the court together? Owens is a useless offensive player. Clark can defend the PF spot better and has good offensive skill. Do you even think before you post?

Clark can defend the PF spot? Uh huh. Do you think before you post? (That’s a rhetorical question Florida)

If Owens is such a useless offensive player why is everyone so upset about him leaving? The shit you post most of the time is a clear sign that you think like an angry child. Owens is a flawed offensive player. He can’t play with his back to the basket. He doesn’t pass very well, set screens successfully or hit the offensive glass. Still, he is absolutely not useless. Tariq shoots too many threes, but he’s not unable to make them because it’s a fact that he made 32% of them last season, and that’s not bad for a 6’11 center. He shot well (69%) from the line, which isn’t great, but it’s not bad for a St.John’s center when you consider what Obekpa and Sima percentages were.

Owens was pretty good from 10 feet out, and he moved pretty well without the ball because the guy despite being a twig never gave up on either side of the ball.

His production won’t be replaced easily, but I’m sure the staff is working hard despite that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 07:06:18 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #503 on: April 12, 2018, 10:22:15 PM »

Clark can defend the PF spot? Uh huh. Do you think before you post? (That’s a rhetorical question Florida)

If Owens is such a useless offensive player why is everyone so upset about him leaving? The shit you post most of the time is a clear sign that you think like an angry child. Owens is a flawed offensive player. He can’t play with his back to the basket. He doesn’t pass very well, set screens successfully or hit the offensive glass. Still, he is absolutely not useless. Tariq shoots too many threes, but he’s not unable to make them because it’s a fact that he made 32% of them last season, and that’s not bad for a 6’11 center. He shot well (69%) from the line, which isn’t great, but it’s not bad for a St.John’s center when you consider what Obekpa and Sima percentages were.

Owens was pretty good from 10 feet out, and he moved pretty well without the ball because the guy despite being a twig never gave up on either side of the ball.

His production won’t be replaced easily, but I’m sure the staff is working hard despite that.

Hi little guy. I home you had a good week in your group home. You keep calling me Florida like that is a negative.  Yes, I do live in south Florida. I had a good swim and hot tub session in perfect weather. How was it up by you and your guardian? Was it chilly? Did you make some snow angels?

We are upset Owens left because it was a snake move. He was getting PT and he went to a team that was clearly worse than what he was choosing to leave. I think all reasonable
posters would have like to have him back if for nothing more than continuity an experienced backup for Keita.

I don't understand your issue with my statement that Clark, a PF, can defend the PF spot better than Owens, a malnourished center. Did you happen to miss Clark defending the fourn AND five spots as a freshman when Michigan St. made their run to the Elite Eight? Owens was routinely eaten alive anyone over 215 lbs.

Run that by your guardian and get back to me. Still very proud of you, New York!

Poison

« Reply #504 on: April 12, 2018, 10:42:45 PM »

Hi little guy. I home you had a good week in your group home. You keep calling me Florida like that is a negative.  Yes, I do live in south Florida. I had a good swim and hot tub session in perfect weather. How was it up by you and your guardian? Was it chilly? Did you make some snow angels?

We are upset Owens left because it was a snake move. He was getting PT and he went to a team that was clearly worse than what he was choosing to leave. I think all reasonable
posters would have like to have him back if for nothing more than continuity an experienced backup for Keita.

I don't understand your issue with my statement that Clark, a PF, can defend the PF spot better than Owens, a malnourished center. Did you happen to miss Clark defending the fourn AND five spots as a freshman when Michigan St. made their run to the Elite Eight? Owens was routinely eaten alive anyone over 215 lbs.

Run that by your guardian and get back to me. Still very proud of you, New York!

Clark avoids contact. He’s not a PF. Enjoy your swimming Marillac. What a great life you have.

Marillac

« Reply #505 on: April 13, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »

Clark avoids contact. He’s not a PF. Enjoy your swimming Marillac. What a great life you have.

Don't let your condition limit your posting. Very courageous of you. You're all heart, kid.

TONYD3

« Reply #506 on: April 13, 2018, 04:27:09 PM »

Keita averaged 1 point a game. Never saw him play, but read the box scores  where he played 15 minutes 0 points, 12 minutes 0 points, 14 minutes 2 points. Then he stopped playing all together. Was he hurt? You can and will build him and baby alpha bangura up all off season. Just because you type it doesn't make it true.
who would owens be competing with if it wasnt Keita?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:31:32 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #507 on: April 13, 2018, 04:51:25 PM »

Keita averaged 1 point a game. Never saw him play, but read the box scores  where he played 15 minutes 0 points, 12 minutes 0 points, 14 minutes 2 points. Then he stopped playing all together. Was he hurt? You can and will build him and baby alpha bangura up all off season. Just because you type it doesn't make it true.

So, Justin Simon averaged 2 pts a game and he’s turned out well. Keita was highly recruited for a reason.

Foad

« Reply #508 on: April 13, 2018, 05:19:56 PM »
Keita averaged 1 point a game. Never saw him play, but read the box scores  where he played 15 minutes 0 points, 12 minutes 0 points, 14 minutes 2 points. Then he stopped playing all together. Was he hurt? You can and will build him and baby alpha bangura up all off season. Just because you type it doesn't make it true.  who would owens be competing with if it wasnt Keita?

Tony likes to cite statistics when the statistics are bad. When they're not bad the sample size is too small and statistics don't matter anyway, only his impressions matter. Fact: Keita averaged 10 minutes a game on a team that went to the final four. Fact: Alpha Bangura played professional basketball for 15 years. Fact: when Owens was at St John's Tony thought Owens should  never shoot. Fact: if Keita had ended up anywhere else Tony would be crying because he did not end up at SJU.

MCNPA

« Reply #509 on: April 13, 2018, 05:21:19 PM »

Sedee Keita was a freshman on a Final Four South Carolina team that was loaded.  Kid is big, strong and athletic and has been practicing here a year.  Owens knew he was going to lose minutes at least to splittime..

Marillac

« Reply #510 on: April 13, 2018, 05:30:27 PM »

Tariq Owens averaged 7 mpg for a team that went 7-11 in conference. Keita averaged 10 mpg for a Final Four team. Keita was a top 100 recruit. Owens was not. Keita is built like a man. Owens is not. There is every reason to believe Keita will at least be as god as Owens was. Neither of these kids is Omari Spellman, but Keita seems to be the the type of big man we need to complement Ponds.

TONYD3

« Reply #511 on: April 13, 2018, 06:05:12 PM »
Keita played 2 minutes in the final 4. Collected 0 points and 0 rebounds. Never saw him play. Happy to have him. Think he could be certainly help us. NO ONE IS SCARED OF HIM STEALING MINUTES.
Owens would have played plenty next year. In my opinion he would have played as many minutes as possible.  Close to 30. Keita would have also played plenty. Plenty of minutes to go around.

TONYD3

« Reply #512 on: April 13, 2018, 06:05:54 PM »

Tariq Owens averaged 7 mpg for a team that went 7-11 in conference. Keita averaged 10 mpg for a Final Four team. Keita was a top 100 recruit. Owens was not. Keita is built like a man. Owens is not. There is every reason to believe Keita will at least be as god as Owens was. Neither of these kids is Omari Spellman, but Keita seems to be the the type of big man we need to complement Ponds.
That makes sense. That is not what you said.

Foad

« Reply #513 on: April 13, 2018, 06:19:33 PM »
Keita played 2 minutes in the final 4. Collected 0 points and 0 rebounds.

How many minutes did Owens play in the Final Four? How many rebounds did he collect? Breathlessly awaiting your answer.

TONYD3

« Reply #514 on: April 13, 2018, 06:35:23 PM »

How many minutes did Owens play in the Final Four? How many rebounds did he collect? Breathlessly awaiting your answer.
How is that the issue foady? Think You already had to much cheap vodka. Owens isn’t that great, but he is certainly better then nothing. Yakwe is the same. Having all 3 would have been better. Need atleast another foward. Probably 2. Again just to be as good as last year.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:35:52 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #515 on: April 13, 2018, 07:06:16 PM »
Really dont get the love affair with Owens. Would it have been nice to keep him and have continuity in place? Sure, but I've never seen a SJU player more overrated by fans than him. He got abused by all the big men in conference. He had a good game at Seton Hall shooting the jumpshot that made his Dad think he was Kevin Durant.

We will be fine upfront with Keita and a grad big plus having some depth at each position will help. Last year we had an out of shape guard and two cavemen coming off the bench.

Marillac

« Reply #516 on: April 13, 2018, 09:52:04 PM »
Keita played 2 minutes in the final 4. Collected 0 points and 0 rebounds. Never saw him play. Happy to have him. Think he could be certainly help us. NO ONE IS SCARED OF HIM STEALING MINUTES.
Owens would have played plenty next year. In my opinion he would have played as many minutes as possible.  Close to 30. Keita would have also played plenty. Plenty of minutes to go around.

There are not "plenty of minutes to go around" for a kid that can only play center. Keita can only play center and is very likely better than Owens. Clark is exponentially better than Owens at the four and plays over 30 mpg.
Owens doesn't want to compete for minutes. He ran to a team that won one conference game and now he's running to a team that six of its eight best players and starting center.

« Reply #517 on: April 13, 2018, 10:38:43 PM »

There are not "plenty of minutes to go around" for a kid that can only play center. Keita can only play center and is very likely better than Owens. Clark is exponentially better than Owens at the four and plays over 30 mpg.
Owens doesn't want to compete for minutes. He ran to a team that won one conference game and now he's running to a team that six of its eight best players and starting center.

This is true.

Foad

« Reply #518 on: April 13, 2018, 11:10:48 PM »

How is that the issue foady?

If minutes played in the final four is not the issue why did you bring up minutes played in the final four? Careful, this might be a trick question.

Think You already had to much cheap vodka.

If Belvedere was cheap my liver'd have exploded by now and I'd be spared these tedious exchanges.

Owens isn’t that great, but he is certainly better then nothing.

A three legged dog is better than nothing, therefore we should recruit several. Mullin's not a good coach but he's better than nothing, so we should be happy to have him. You've made some really good points,  you must be getting a lot of roughage.

Poison

« Reply #519 on: April 14, 2018, 12:37:41 AM »
Really dont get the love affair with Owens. Would it have been nice to keep him and have continuity in place? Sure, but I've never seen a SJU player more overrated by fans than him. He got abused by all the big men in conference. He had a good game at Seton Hall shooting the jumpshot that made his Dad think he was Kevin Durant.

We will be fine upfront with Keita and a grad big plus having some depth at each position will help. Last year we had an out of shape guard and two cavemen coming off the bench.

No one thought Owens was great. No one thought Yakwe belonged in the BE after watching him last year. Both would have been seniors, and had they stayed it’s perfectly reasonable to expect that they’d have their best seasons at St.John’s because seniors are more mature than juniors and sophomores.

Players who had struggled even more than Owens and Yakwe were still able to put it together eventually. A grad big needs to start from scratch. We lose continuity. Our history says it’s vital.