Big Picture

• 33 replies
Big Picture
« on: April 02, 2018, 11:38:40 PM »
We beat the national champions at their place.
We aren't far.

Good night.

Go Big East

Re: Big Picture
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 11:52:51 PM »
We beat the national champions at their place.
We aren't far.

Good night.

Go Big East
They just won 9 straight post season games against high level competition with all 6 NCAA games by double digits. If you think they approached our game with the same mentality after owning us for like 15 straight game including 40 point blow outs you are wrong (not to mention they were missing Booth and Paschall). Didn't mean to take away from our win but to say we are close to dominating the sport with a blow out win in the title game is absurd. Let's make the tourney first and hope we don't re-establish our one and done rep in the tourney.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 11:56:38 PM »
We haven't won a tournament game in 20 years. Nova has 2 titles. Big picture is more pain for us. Chris Mullin isn't even close to Jay Wright.

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 12:10:55 AM »
Truthfully, we beat Duke and Nova that week.  Don’t take anything away from us either.   Nobody was beating us that week.  It wasn’t them.. we were great in that stretch...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:11:19 AM by MCNPA »

goredmen

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 01:12:06 AM »
Big picture is we are 10x closer to DePaul than we are to Villanova. Hell, we are closer to DePaul than we are to Providence/Butler/Creighton.

Holding out hope that staff pulls a rabbit out their hat and gets a couple solid players to play for next season. With next year almost certainly being Ponds' last here, it's going to be hard to get momentum going for the future without a good amount of success on the court in 18-19.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 01:34:36 AM »
I kind of wish we lost to Duke and Nova. I think Mullin would be gone, and that is the best thing for this program going forward.  It's so disheartening to see Jay Wright who has two national titles now work his butt off, while Mullin, who won less Big East games this year than Jay has NCAA wins this year, attends Warriors games, and could seemingly care less about getting quality players for next year and beyond.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 05:03:12 PM »
Here comes a post from Fordham96 on a two year plan of being more like Nova 🙄

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 05:24:18 PM »
I kind of wish we lost to Duke and Nova.
My, what a loyal and wonderful St. Johns fan you are.
I think Mullin would be gone,

Think again.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 05:46:34 PM »
Is this a joke topic? I hope it is and no one actually believes we are close to Nova. We are a bottom feeder with one of the worst hc and staff’s in country. 

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 05:53:10 PM »
Is this a joke topic? I hope it is and no one actually believes we are close to Nova. We are a bottom feeder with one of the worst hc and staff’s in country. 

But we have great fans like you sworn to keep it that way with your constant negativity.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 06:16:48 PM »
How come everyone is already so down on next yr. We have some talent coming in. If Owens leaves then we need to replace him, if not i wouldnt mind two good sit out transfers. I think Mullin realized that just because he was on the dream team doesnt mean he's gonna land 5 star kids, so now he's gonna build his team with kids that will stay for a while. Look at the class we have coming in, those guys arent getting drafted anytime soon. If we can build with kids like that, a transfer here and there and a player like ponds every couple of years we should be in good shape. Mullin does need demonstrate he can keep and develop kids though, hopefully he has learned his lesson.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 06:44:20 PM »

But we have great fans like you sworn to keep it that way with your constant negativity.
[/quote

When SJU realizes that Mullin was a huge mistake, and ask him to step down, I will be one of most positive posters on board.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 07:42:42 PM »

When SJU realizes that Mullin was a huge mistake, and ask him to step down, I will be one of most positive posters on board.

How positive will you be when Ponds leads us to the Sweet 16?

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 09:29:17 PM »

How positive will you be when Ponds leads us to the Sweet 16?

Then they should have made it to the elite eight.
Cougar O' Malley

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 01:03:30 AM »

Think again.

I care about the bigger picture. We are never winning under this clown. Sorry if he reminds you of your glory days old timer, but you're delusional if you think St. John's is going anywhere under him. I wanna make sure you another good team in your lifetime.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 03:48:05 AM »

Think again.

I care about the bigger picture. We are never winning under this clown. Sorry if he reminds you of your glory days old timer, but you're delusional if you think St. John's is going anywhere under him. I wanna make sure you another good team in your lifetime.

"This clown" is how you refer to a legend like Mullin? Fans like you make this program nearly impossible to rebuild. It is completely unreasonable to expect him to be doing well in his first three years coaching after losing his top assistant after the first year and inheriting nothing from Lavin.

Jay Wright went 13-19 with a 5-13 conference record in 2010-2011 with a Final Four on his resume, a seasoned staff, several top 50 and 100 recruits, and decades of coaching.

Not only does he have to learn coaching and the new college game, he has to learn to deal with millennial divas and pageant dads they didn't exist in the 80's.

Nobody was more negative about our chances for this last season than me, and we were a Lovett non-disappearing act away from the bubble. Pickup a grad transfer big man that can score and board and a 3* true PG in a ny class, and this team will win games in the tournament next year with Ponds back. Take that to the bank.

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 07:19:06 AM »
Pickup a grad transfer big man that can score and board and a 3* true PG in a ny class, and this team will win games in the tournament next year with Ponds back. Take that to the bank.

I agree to you, but it looks like Coach Mullin does not go to NYC gyms and Abdelmassih feels much more confortable recruiting transfers and decommits than NYC high school players.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 12:15:10 PM »

Think again.

"This clown" is how you refer to a legend like Mullin? Fans like you make this program nearly impossible to rebuild. It is completely unreasonable to expect him to be doing well in his first three years coaching after losing his top assistant after the first year and inheriting nothing from Lavin.

Jay Wright went 13-19 with a 5-13 conference record in 2010-2011 with a Final Four on his resume, a seasoned staff, several top 50 and 100 recruits, and decades of coaching.

Not only does he have to learn coaching and the new college game, he has to learn to deal with millennial divas and pageant dads they didn't exist in the 80's.

Nobody was more negative about our chances for this last season than me, and we were a Lovett non-disappearing act away from the bubble. Pickup a grad transfer big man that can score and board and a 3* true PG in a ny class, and this team will win games in the tournament next year with Ponds back. Take that to the bank.

Losing his top assistant was HIS fault. He also promised when he took the job he'd be a presence in NYC high school gyms, meanwhile he's no where to be seen. He's too busy playing HORSE with Mitch Richmond and getting on the jumbotron at Warriors games. To me he's a clown. Basically just collecting a paycheck and going through the motions.

Look at Patrick Ewing, he's mentioned with nearly every recruit, and he's hitting the HS gyms hard. Like I've said many times before I would not even be mad if it seemed like Mullin was going all out in recruiting, and putting his best foot forward. It doesn't anger you at all that the guy has won 12 conference games in 3 years and he refuses to go see recruits himself? Even real legends like Coach K and Calipari go out and recruit themselves, but god forbid our coach miss a Warriors game.

I find it really funny that you think my attitude is what is keeping this program from rebuilding because it's fans like YOU that make it nearly impossible to rebuild this program. You accept mediocrity, and are willing to give this guy a lifetime achievement award because he was a good basketball player 30 years ago. Wake up.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:23:36 PM by thetruth8734 »

Poison

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 12:26:32 PM »

Think again.

Losing his top assistant was HIS fault. He also promised when he took the job he'd be a presence in NYC high school gyms, meanwhile he's no where to be seen. He's too busy playing HORSE with Mitch Richmond and getting on the jumbotron at Warriors games. To me he's a clown. Basically just collecting a paycheck and going through the motions.

Look at Patrick Ewing, he's mentioned with nearly every recruit, and he's hitting the HS gyms hard. Like I've said many times before I would not even be mad if it seemed like Mullin was going all out in recruiting, and putting his best foot forward. It doesn't anger you at all that the guy has won 12 conference games in 3 years and he refuses to go see recruits himself? Even real legends like Coach K and Calipari go out and recruit themselves, but god forbid our coach miss a Warriors game.

At the end of the day we don't know who has what responsibility on the staff. That's why as fans we can only look at the results. And so far, there are no results. At least nothing we can be proud of outside of a small handful of individual games. We've become the team that says as long we beat Syracuse, Duke or Nova it's a winning season. Our fan base has fallen for it.

Two things stand out to me as telling. The first is that we've had more players not qualify, transfer out or simply leave for whatever reason than any coach in our history. One, two and sometimes even three are to be expected. Here, we lose half our team, and people are dumb enough to say we're better off without them because they can't f*cking add and didn't realize we'd have one twig center for next season.

That said, he's here now, and we might as well support him or next season will be eve more miserable than this one was. Mullin can still salvage the 18-19 season. IMO, provided Shamorie Ponds decides to return, this can still be a tourney team, BUT they MUST have a balanced roster for that to be possible. I keep hearing that they need a big man. They don't. They need need two big men. At least two. If they add one big man grad transfer, it's better than nothing, but we'll still be too light up front.

Just like we'd ask of the players, and really anyone, the staff needs to learn from their mistakes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:30:40 PM by Poison »

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »

Think again.

I find it really funny that you think my attitude is what is keeping this program from rebuilding because it's fans like YOU that make it nearly impossible to rebuild this program. You accept mediocrity, and are willing to give this guy a lifetime achievement award because he was a good basketball player 30 years ago. Wake up.

Hey!  Dude (Marillac) could possibly be a cool person, but he's the classic bullshit artist.  If you wasn't already previously convinced, then just go read his posts from yesterday and today.