Game day at Rutgers

• 71 replies

TONYD3

Game day at Rutgers
« on: November 08, 2018, 06:45:22 PM »
I went to a Rutgers football game. Long time ago. From memory nothing was close to parking (bars restaurants). It also wasn’t easy to park. Well aware more people park at football. We had to take a bus from where we parked. Huge pain in the ass.
For basketball, on stubhub they are selling parking passes.
Question for anyone who has been. Can you park without a crazy hassle?  Is there anywhere near campus for drinks and food? Do you guys think it is doable in Friday rush hour?

Johnny23

Re: Game day at Rutgers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 07:27:51 PM »
Last game I went to at the RAC was a NJ state playoff game eons ago. It's not easy to park there from what I remember. In terms of places to eat and drink, there's nothing right there. You have to go to the main campus which is a 5-10 min drive from there. Easton Ave and George St are the main drags for bars and restaurants.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »
I decided to use a vacation day to head over and check out their campus and some of the food and bars.  I know the ru hungry grease truck is supposed to be a staple.  Any recommendations from people who have been there would be greatly appreciated.

Sju is doing an alumni pre game all you can eat and drink hh at old man raffertys from 5-7 for $45.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 09:19:22 PM »
If you’ve been to Long Island you’ve been to New Jersey. Same thing, except that in Long Island it’s the people that stink.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 09:19:48 PM by Poison »

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 09:55:28 AM »
If you’ve been to Long Island you’ve been to New Jersey. Same thing, except that in Long Island it’s the people that stink.
Nawth Shaw or Soutt Shaw?

Poison

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 10:18:21 AM »

Is there a subtle difference?

Johnny23

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »

Is there a subtle difference?

Buttafuoco stink vs Dolan stink.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 02:36:57 PM »
Scary stretch coming up. @Rutgers will always be a tough game. They are massive this year. Cal has the talent to beat most high majors any given night even in a down year. Temple is a bubble team IMO.
Spare me the "we should beat these guys if we're good" like because this team is not even close to what it will be in two months.

Win them all and I think we'll be ranked.

goredmen

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 03:01:30 PM »
Scary stretch coming up. @Rutgers will always be a tough game. They are massive this year. Cal has the talent to beat most high majors any given night even in a down year. Temple is a bubble team IMO.
Spare me the "we should beat these guys if we're good" like because this team is not even close to what it will be in two months.

Please. Cal just lost by 16 to Yale and the game wasn't even that close. You can't name one player on Cal without looking it up and you claim they have the talent to beat most high majors. They don't. They are awful.

@Rutgers isn't an easy game but it's a game that absolutely has to be won. They aren't as good as DePaul. We can't go 12-6 in the BE if we can't beat Rutgers on the road.

Really going out on a limb saying we'll be a much better team in 2 months. Of course we will be. So will every other single team in college basketball. We return as much or more than a lot of teams do, so the "we need time to gel" narrative doesn't apply here

Foad

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »
Really going out on a limb saying we'll be a much better team in 2 months. Of course we will be. So will every other single team in college basketball.

True, but we have a much higher ceiling than certainly not every other single team in college basketball, but a significant number of teams that are not in the conversation - there's four players with NBA potential on the roster: Ponds, Heron, Simon, Figeroa, albeit I've only seen him play for 30 minutes. Obviously whether that talent coalesces is a separate question and so far the coaching staff has not shown that they're alchemists. But considering the state of the program this seems an odd time for abject pessimism.

goredmen

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 03:28:16 PM »
Really going out on a limb saying we'll be a much better team in 2 months. Of course we will be. So will every other single team in college basketball.

True, but we have a much higher ceiling than certainly not every other single team in college basketball, but a significant number of teams that are not in the conversation - there's four players with NBA potential on the roster: Ponds, Heron, Simon, Figeroa, albeit I've only seen him play for 30 minutes. Obviously whether that talent coalesces is a separate question and so far the coaching staff has not shown that they're alchemists. But considering the state of the program this seems an odd time for abject pessimism.

I'm not pessimistic about this team/season at all. I'm just saying the idea proposed that we might not play well early on because we'll be better in 2 months is silly because every team will be better in 2 months. In fact, we should be better earlier on relative to other teams as we can rely on our superior talent to get us by while teams with less talent are still figuring out roles etc.

Foad

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 04:12:07 PM »

I'm not pessimistic about this team/season at all. I'm just saying the idea proposed that we might not play well early on because we'll be better in 2 months is silly because every team will be better in 2 months. In fact, we should be better earlier on relative to other teams as we can rely on our superior talent to get us by while teams with less talent are still figuring out roles etc.

We might not play well early on because we're still figuring out our roles as well. Thus far we've returned carry the one 103 minutes and have 107 new guy minutes. We have four players with game experience coming back and seven players who have never played together in a game situation and we have a staff that's never coached a team with a competitive level of talent. We're not the youngest team in murica anymore, but this is not an experienced team in the conventional sense. I'm happy to give them a couple of months to figure it out. If they lose a couple OOC games getting it together and then in conference run off 10 straight nobody's going to remember November. Lavin's first NCAA team (aka Norm's team) blew a 30 point lead and lost to Fordham - arguably the worst program in the history of college BB. They recovered from that. I won't be happy if (when) they lose to Rutgers, but I won't slash my wrists either. And not just because I've decided to hang myself when the time comes. Just because.

goredmen

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 05:10:32 PM »

We might not play well early on because we're still figuring out our roles as well. Thus far we've returned carry the one 103 minutes and have 107 new guy minutes. We have four players with game experience coming back and seven players who have never played together in a game situation and we have a staff that's never coached a team with a competitive level of talent. We're not the youngest team in murica anymore, but this is not an experienced team in the conventional sense. I'm happy to give them a couple of months to figure it out. If they lose a couple OOC games getting it together and then in conference run off 10 straight nobody's going to remember November. Lavin's first NCAA team (aka Norm's team) blew a 30 point lead and lost to Fordham - arguably the worst program in the history of college BB. They recovered from that. I won't be happy if (when) they lose to Rutgers, but I won't slash my wrists either. And not just because I've decided to hang myself when the time comes. Just because.

Fair, but as you mentioned in your previous post, this staff has shown that they are not alchemists so there is no reason to believe this team will improve at an accelerated pace compared to every other team in the country, especially the other BE teams who lost more than we did and have better coaches.

Rutgers is actually more inexperienced than we are and return fewer minutes from last year than we do. So there's absolutely no excuse for us to lose to them
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:10:45 PM by goredmen »

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 05:26:38 PM »

Please. Cal just lost by 16 to Yale and the game wasn't even that close. You can't name one player on Cal without looking it up and you claim they have the talent to beat most high majors. They don't. They are awful.

@Rutgers isn't an easy game but it's a game that absolutely has to be won. They aren't as good as DePaul. We can't go 12-6 in the BE if we can't beat Rutgers on the road.

Really going out on a limb saying we'll be a much better team in 2 months. Of course we will be. So will every other single team in college basketball. We return as much or more than a lot of teams do, so the "we need time to gel" narrative doesn't apply here

Cal will likely win 4-6 PAC12 games. True shitty teams can't do that. There is a difference between a high major having a bad year and a team like St. Francis having a bad year that that you can't just grasp. We proved that last year beating top 3 Duke and Nova with an 0-8 conference record!

You are correct that most teams will be better in two months, but we are widely considered one of the most mysterious and enegmatic teams when it comes to predictions. I love Mullin and want him to succeed in the worst way, but I have serious concerns.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 05:59:20 PM »
I'll reserve judgement until I get to see them live.  You can't tell crap about a team nor have an informed opinion about a group just from watching them on the tele.

QuanMan

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 06:04:41 PM »
I decided to use a vacation day to head over and check out their campus and some of the food and bars.  I know the ru hungry grease truck is supposed to be a staple.  Any recommendations from people who have been there would be greatly appreciated.

Sju is doing an alumni pre game all you can eat and drink hh at old man raffertys from 5-7 for $45.

I'm taking a vacation day as well to comfortably commute over the George and enjoy. I've been looking forward to this game for 6 months, it's the biggest, most pressure packed game in Mullin's tenure to date. This will be my third trip to Piscataway, previous trips haven't been successful, a 2010 drubbing that marked the beginning of the end of Norm's tenure and a 2012 heartbreaker lost in the final minute. The RAC is a intimidating, spirited building that's a ton of fun when packed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 06:56:04 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

isham

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 06:30:49 PM »
Only teams with good coaching improve during the year.

Foad

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 07:11:27 PM »
Fair, but as you mentioned in your previous post, this staff has shown that they are not alchemists so there is no reason to believe this team will improve at an accelerated pace compared to every other team in the country, especially the other BE teams who lost more than we did and have better coaches.

Rutgers is actually more inexperienced than we are and return fewer minutes from last year than we do. So there's absolutely no excuse for us to lose to them

I don't know know anything about Rutgers and I moreover don't care about Rutgers. As a fan I want SJU to win every game and as a historian don't expect them to win any of them. There was no excuse for Mullin's ff team to lose to Niagara; no excuse for Lavin's Norm team to lose to Fordham; and no precedent for last year's team to beat dook and nova back to back. But shit happens. I used to sit on the edge of my seat every game in December and parse my way to the national champion in March. I don't any more. Maybe I'm just too old. Maybe I'm just too cynical. Maybe I'm just too old and cynical. My take now is, it is what it is, which is that it's a mad mad mad mad mad mad mad world and que sera sera. (I think there was one too many mad's in there, but whatever.) I'd like the team to play well enough that the games are enjoyable to watch and at a certain point meaningful enough to enjoy. The rest of it is out of my control. As usual. YMMV

Foad

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »
Only teams with good coaching improve during the year.

Thanks for the hot take Tesla. Probably you should lie down until your next epiphany, I wouldn't want you to wear yourself out.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »
I didn’t see either one, but I’m not used to Rutgers wining back to back games by 30+ points against anyone.

It’s clearly too soon to judge either team, but it’s not unreasonable to expect that we’ve worked on some of the things that we did poorly on Friday such as playing defense and moving on offense.

The excuse that we haven’t played together doesn’t hold water when it’s an apples to apples comparison. This isn’t a Rutgers team that’s been through the battles together year after year. They’re rebuilding to.