Inside/outside

• 12 replies

hnk

Inside/outside
« on: November 10, 2018, 11:32:49 AM »
Heron, Ponds, Simon, Figgy are all unstoppable when they go inside. The only way to stop them is if the refs don't call a foul or they miss a gimme.  Every offensive trip should start inside with threes only taken on a kick outside from double/triple teams.  One of them should at least flash to the foul line.  Heron is amazing posting up from down low.

We don't want to lose any games just because we have an off night shooting threes.

Johnny23

Re: Inside/outside
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
No doubt. There needs to be less stagnation in the half court offense and settling for deep jumpers. Constant ball movement and getting to the hoop, kicking out to an open shooter when necessary.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »
Heron, Ponds, Simon, Figgy are all unstoppable when they go inside. The only way to stop them is if the refs don't call a foul or they miss a gimme.  Every offensive trip should start inside with threes only taken on a kick outside from double/triple teams.  One of them should at least flash to the foul line.  Heron is amazing posting up from down low.

We don't want to lose any games just because we have an off night shooting threes.

Simon had back to back strong postups for easy layups. He's extremely dangerous down there with his athletic ability. He's too quick for bigs and he's too big for guards. He can also pass out of the post. That is the offense IMO. Move the ball, find the mismatch, and exploit it. Then crash glass.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »
I think we're a tall team 1-3. Can definitely exploit this on the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. Will take some time for these guys to gel.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 05:26:51 AM »
I think we're a tall team 1-3. Can definitely exploit this on the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. Will take some time for these guys to gel.

Could not agree with you more Dave. I finally started to see them do this more in the second half against Bowling Green. Posting up ponds, simon, and heron. This really can cause problems for other teams especially posting simon and heron up. Will open up the floor a lot more. Were ally should try to play inside out even though we are small are guars are pretty long and athletic.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:27:34 AM by Aknel79 »

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 01:28:30 PM »

Could not agree with you more Dave. I finally started to see them do this more in the second half against Bowling Green. Posting up ponds, simon, and heron. This really can cause problems for other teams especially posting simon and heron up. Will open up the floor a lot more. Were ally should try to play inside out even though we are small are guars are pretty long and athletic.

I think the problem with posting these guards up is that it is really just another type of stagnant offense. Guards who post up are easy to double and force into bad shots. That's why they don't post up. Simon can throw a drop step or two in there but most of our other guards' moves are fade away 10 foot baseline jumpers. No bueno. We need a motion offense that has back cuts built in for when we DO get those guards the ball on the block so they have another option. Those options also include the kick outs and skip passes that lead to in tempo 3's. Those are the high percentage ones we give up all the time.

Johnny23

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 01:34:50 PM »

I think the problem with posting these guards up is that it is really just another type of stagnant offense. Guards who post up are easy to double and force into bad shots. That's why they don't post up. Simon can throw a drop step or two in there but most of our other guards' moves are fade away 10 foot baseline jumpers. No bueno. We need a motion offense that has back cuts built in for when we DO get those guards the ball on the block so they have another option. Those options also include the kick outs and skip passes that lead to in tempo 3's. Those are the high percentage ones we give up all the time.

This is where coaching in practice and games come in. Not sure we'll ever see this consistently but can only hope.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 05:28:27 PM »

Not just tall, but strong too. Heron is a house and almost certainly has more functional strength than anyone in the Lavin and Mullin eras. Simon is 215. Figgy is lighter but explosive.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 06:16:23 PM »

Figgy is lighter but explosive.

Yes!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

hnk

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 02:46:28 PM »
Rutgers second half of first half and second half, they really played well inside/outside.  If Shamorie is content driving and kicking where double teamed, we are going to be good.   They are really fun to watch.  6 assists for Shamorie will do it every time.  Hopefully, they'll be a game where he breaks team assist record. And Figgy/Justin delivering 20 bounds is off the charts!!!!!!!
Nice to see everyone contributing....and almost taking turns dominating.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 04:40:11 PM »
Rutgers second half of first half and second half, they really played well inside/outside.  If Shamorie is content driving and kicking where double teamed, we are going to be good.   They are really fun to watch.  6 assists for Shamorie will do it every time.  Hopefully, they'll be a game where he breaks team assist record. And Figgy/Justin delivering 20 bounds is off the charts!!!!!!!
Nice to see everyone contributing....and almost taking turns dominating.

I love Simon on the defensive glass but I feel he left 2-3 offensive boards go to Rutgers by not crashing glass. When he's near the basket everything is his...so he needs to get there more often. Figueroa crashes the glass like Postell. Get 2-3 guys doing that every shot and we are going places.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »
Figgy is lighter but explosive.

Yes!

I'm ready to upgrade Figueroa's athletic ability.

I have been preparing myself for disappointment because we are St. John's and kids who should have been better (Bash and Sanchez come to mind) didn't come through. But we really got something here.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
I'm ready to upgrade Figueroa's athletic ability.

I have been preparing myself for disappointment because we are St. John's and kids who should have been better (Bash and Sanchez come to mind) didn't come through. But we really got something here.

Knew you’d come around. Different games but his build reminds me a bit of harkless. Length helps him play much bigger than he is.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.