Keita Injury

• 69 replies

Foad

Re: Keita Injury
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »
Real Kareem syed sat next to me in philosophy. Nice kid

I cannot imagine anything more absurd than you taking a philosophy course. "I Think, Therefore I am Dumb." Thanks for the laugh.

TONYD3

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 08:28:23 PM »
I cannot imagine anything more absurd than you taking a philosophy course. "I Think, Therefore I am Dumb." Thanks for the laugh.
This is a basketball board. You think coach Mullin is a good coach. You are the dummy.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 08:29:18 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2018, 08:54:11 PM »
another notch on Mullins belt. Losses on the court and off. He’s consistent at least. If anyone actually thinks that playing small all year is our best lineup is nuts. Our guards play 0 d on perimeter, we foul constantly because of penetration in the middle and help D. The loss of keita is big, and 0 depth in the front court is bigger. Staff sucks, plain and simple. They think street ball is going to get them over hump, it won’t. A poorly constructed roster of athletic wings will beat less athletic teams consistently, but over long run, it’s not a recipe for success. And please do not compare us to nova or Michigan who plays with athletic bigs/wings.

It is really hard to believe that the best big men in the nation don't want to come here, especially with all that Utopia Avenue has to offer. I mean, St. John's has always been known as a big man school, soooo.......

If you think we CAN'T win with this lineup, then I think you're nuts. How different are we really from the '99 team? Artest, Barkley, Bootsy or Ponds, Heron, LJ. Then there was Reggie Jessie and Tyrone Grant. Clark and Simon, now. You want to say Postell on that team was a difference maker? What did he give that we can't get out of Trimble or Dixon as the season goes on. You can win with positionless lineups in this era of basketball. Yes, they were a little bigger but they went to toe to toe with Duke with Grant on the bench. The problem with this team is they are undisciplined. They catch and dribble constantly (which Mullin has said is the biggest problem they have on offense) and it stops any flow on offense. Yes, they foul too much, but its not because they don't play d on the perimeter, it's because they play too much. They are too focused on getting steals and blocked shots. Undisciplined. That falls on Mullin and the staff, but to say this is who they'll be all year is ridiculous. If they become more disciplined and more fundamental, they can absolutely win games. Big games, too.

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 09:05:54 PM »
It is really hard to believe that the best big men in the nation don't want to come here, especially with all that Utopia Avenue has to offer. I mean, St. John's has always been known as a big man school, soooo.......

If you think we CAN'T win with this lineup, then I think you're nuts. How different are we really from the '99 team? Artest, Barkley, Bootsy or Ponds, Heron, LJ. Then there was Reggie Jessie and Tyrone Grant. Clark and Simon, now. You want to say Postell on that team was a difference maker? What did he give that we can't get out of Trimble or Dixon as the season goes on. You can win with positionless lineups in this era of basketball. Yes, they were a little bigger but they went to toe to toe with Duke with Grant on the bench. The problem with this team is they are undisciplined. They catch and dribble constantly (which Mullin has said is the biggest problem they have on offense) and it stops any flow on offense. Yes, they foul too much, but its not because they don't play d on the perimeter, it's because they play too much. They are too focused on getting steals and blocked shots. Undisciplined. That falls on Mullin and the staff, but to say this is who they'll be all year is ridiculous. If they become more disciplined and more fundamental, they can absolutely win games. Big games, too.
Equating Trimble and Dixon with Postell? Really? You've got to be joking. Postell was a stud and played and had some good games with the Knicks. Don't think either of Trimble or Dixon will sniff the G league let alone the NBA (at least at this stage of their careers).

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 09:29:00 PM »
Equating Trimble and Dixon with Postell? Really? You've got to be joking. Postell was a stud and played and had some good games with the Knicks. Don't think either of Trimble or Dixon will sniff the G league let alone the NBA (at least at this stage of their careers).

He averaged 14 points and 6 rebounds his senior year coming off the bench. Trimble and Dixon can bring those same numbers off the bench. No one thought Postell would do anything when he averaged 5 points as a freshman. Again, so funny that everyone knows all these kids' ceilings. I'm not saying either one will be All Big East. But I'm also not saying they won't be.

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2018, 09:48:10 PM »
another notch on Mullins belt. Losses on the court and off. He’s consistent at least. If anyone actually thinks that playing small all year is our best lineup is nuts. Our guards play 0 d on perimeter, we foul constantly because of penetration in the middle and help D. The loss of keita is big, and 0 depth in the front court is bigger. Staff sucks, plain and simple. They think street ball is going to get them over hump, it won’t. A poorly constructed roster of athletic wings will beat less athletic teams consistently, but over long run, it’s not a recipe for success. And please do not compare us to nova or Michigan who plays with athletic bigs/wings.

Our best lineup is obviously Ponds-Figuerora-Heron-Simon-Clark.

The only thing Keita is good for is saving our guys from full trouble and giving opposing bigs a different look.

Schoefiled destroys everyone at 6'5 for Tennessee.

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2018, 10:12:44 PM »
I always thought, and still think, that we will need Keita this year in the Big East part of the schedule.  If we are going with your lineup - which I agree is our best right now -- we need all 5 players committed to gang rebounding, harassing ball handlers to make entry passes inside difficulty, and to play a disciplined yet aggressive approach on D overall.

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2018, 11:00:17 PM »

The only thing Keita is good for is saving our guys from full trouble and giving opposing bigs a different look.

Can’t argue that schofield is a beast on the boards but as we saw, Mullin started keita vs bg because they were a bigger team, a different look for sure. However with no bigs now and that smaller lineup, we will run into same probs as last year. We get smaller as guys like Trimble and Dixon come off bench and depth becomes an issue with foul trouble because no one to substitute 6/7 and 6/8. One more big who can be serviceable allows Mullin to still plsy small but at least there is someone who can bang down low.

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 12:43:42 AM »

You beat me to it.  That is just ridiculous blasphemy.

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2018, 07:20:58 AM »

I wasn't comparing either of them to Postell. I was talking about production. We can get the same numbers from 2 guys that he gave. That's all. Just like we can get the same numbers from our big three as '99's big three. Small lineup. Explosive. If we are anyone from the past, we are the '99 squad in terms production.

TONYD3

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2018, 08:13:22 AM »
Postell I think was a 5 star player. He started as a freshman and played on some of our best teams.
Donte divenchimzo didn’t start most games and he averaged 13 points 4 rebounds

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »
Postell I think was a 5 star player. He started as a freshman and played on some of our best teams.
Donte divenchimzo didn’t start most games and he averaged 13 points 4 rebounds

Haha! Ok, so I'll take back the Postell comment if it makes everyone feel better. Jeez. I didn't see him on any All St. John's teams so I thought we could get at least 2 guys to cover his production. I was unaware of how many relatives he had on this thread. The overall point was that we CAN compete with wings, just like past teams have, and this year we have some really good ones. I'm not saying we are going to be national champs, but I wouldn't be surprised if we could be a sweet 16 team. But I'm a half full guy.....

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »

See Marillac when you put the effort in you can still post stuff I agree with.

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2018, 10:23:22 AM »

They should have televised that Philosophy class. I would have watched.

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »

I agree with this, but what happens when Clark inevitably gets into foul trouble?  Is the lineup Heron at the 5 with Dixon or Trimble at the 2?  Greg Williams is also going to have to play real minutes.  If there was ever a time to press and run, it's now.

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2018, 10:45:32 AM »
I agree with this, but what happens when Clark inevitably gets into foul trouble?  Is the lineup Heron at the 5 with Dixon or Trimble at the 2?  Greg Williams is also going to have to play real minutes.  If there was ever a time to press and run, it's now.

I think in case of foul trouble you will see Roberts.
Best 5 guys did not include Keita
I think Keita was going to get 15 mins or so a game.
5-7 will go to Roberts, the rest we will go small

TONYD3

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2018, 12:01:10 PM »
They should have televised that Philosophy class. I would have watched.
The only thing worse then a 70 year old man thinking he is the dark knight of the St. John’s fan forum is a 50 year old man trying ever so hard to be his lackey. Nice joke dick vitale.

Marillac

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2018, 12:14:18 PM »

Postell was a beast. Every other SF we've had since has been chasing what he provided. Look at his offenside rebounding #s.

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2018, 12:51:26 PM »
The only thing worse then a 70 year old man thinking he is the dark knight of the St. John’s fan forum is a 50 year old man trying ever so hard to be his lackey. Nice joke dick vitale.

Off by 4 years
Fun is entertaining, you are a Dolt

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »
but I wouldn't be surprised if we could be a sweet 16 team. 

Ok.  We'll forgive you your Postell gaffe but I must repeat this...

You do know this is a St. John's message board, right?