Game 4: Legends Classic Semifinal: Cal Bears (ESPN2, 970AM)

• 110 replies

pmg911

Re: Game 4: Legends Classic Semifinal: Cal Bears (ESPN2, 970AM)
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2018, 10:05:05 AM »
two straight immediate 3 attempts from the top of the circle. coach your team

So many guys on this site complain about shots early in possessions and blame the coaching for kids doing this...      it's their game plan in general and they are coached to take the open look and with guys that can actually get hot quickly, it's a good strategy.

Can they take better shots at time, of course, but to complain about when shots are taken in the possession is silly. If they give our wings open looks 3 - 5 seconds into a possession, it's going up and you are crazy if you think it changes...

We have a coach that was an incredibly intelligent player but make no mistake, he thought he was open the second he got in the gym. He is going to teach the players to be aggressive offensively.

That said, this team needs to play better overall defense and the staff has to figure out how to get 6 - 8 minutes  out of Roberts while they are short up front...

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2018, 10:07:17 AM »
He makes too many mental errors at this point. Physically he looks like the quickest kid that has ever lived out there on both ends, but he needs to catch up to the speed of this level mentally. His skill set also doesn't allow him to fully utilize his speed at this point.

He battles for rebounds, he hits the deck for loose balls, he's always in motion...effort will be the least of his problems this season. Maybe if/when he gets better all around as a senior and is scoring 18 ppg that could be an issue.

I don't think he will be here his senior year.

Marillac

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2018, 10:12:29 AM »
Did you see him back off a corner shooter on the three point line late in the shot clock to double an entry pass that never came? That's not energy, that's IQ.

I agree. He's very mistake prone and often wild.

The speed difference from the MAAC to high major is real and he needs more games to adjust. I think he'll either look great or completely out of control all year to be honest. There won't be much of a middle ground.

As for Justin's game v. Butler, you are right statistically but I liken that performance to an alcoholic that managed to drink as much as he wanted and still have a great Christmas holiday with his family. It only positively reinforced something he shouldn't be doing.

We lose last night if Ponds didn't carry this team. We also lose last night without Justin playing closer to the basket.

If this team wants to do more than barely make the tournament, Justin will have to play like he did last night. Defense probably won't be great but there is no reason we can't kill teams on the glass.

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2018, 10:13:39 AM »
I don't think he will be here his senior year.

You can be exhausting at times.

Foad

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2018, 10:23:25 AM »
As for Justin's game v. Butler, you are right statistically but I liken that performance to an alcoholic that managed to drink as much as he wanted and still have a great Christmas holiday with his family. It only positively reinforced something he shouldn't be doing.

He played 50 minutes at PG and led a team featuring starting center Amar Alibeogutz (43 minutes) and no Ponds to a league win over a tournament team. If that's like an alcoholic it calls to mind what Lincoln said about Grant's drinking: "I wish some of you would tell me the brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel of it to my other generals.”

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »
You can be exhausting at times.

We play 7 guys. During the supposed soft spot of our schedule Dixon is getting less than 20 minutes a game. Trimble getting 16 minutes a game for simple reason that he plays hard.
For a guy who loved Geno Lawrence a kid whose only positive attribute was he played hard would think you would hate Dixon so far.

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2018, 10:30:51 AM »
He played 50 minutes at PG and led a team featuring starting center Amar Alibeogutz (43 minutes) and no Ponds to a league win over a tournament team. If that's like an alcoholic it calls to mind what Lincoln said about Grant's drinking: "I wish some of you would tell me the brand of whiskey that Grant drinks. I would like to send a barrel of it to my other generals.”

Justin can look amazing at times and then like he has no business ever dribbling a basketball others. Often on consecutive nights.  He can't consistently replicate anything he does. You can't consistently win depending on a player like that.

Inside though? The kid can do the same things every night. He can always jump and use that 7'1 wingspan. That will always be there.  He's too quick for big men to guard off 1-2 dribbles and that will always be there for him too. Having him near the basket and in constant motion (like he was more last night than any point of his career) also opens up spacing for everyone--especially Ponds.

Marillac

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2018, 10:35:53 AM »
Best box score from last night:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2018-11-19-19-california.html

Of note:

-We outrebounded them 26-23

-Clark with 5 turnovers

-Simon with three offensive rebounds 🤗 which resulted in two made field goals and three fouls shots (missed all three badly).

-Only 8-21 from three but we did have 15 assists

-Clark was 2-11 and I feel like all of those misses were halfway down before they came out. I haven't seen a kid miss so many open chippies

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
Justin can look amazing at times and then like he has no business ever dribbling a basketball others. Often on consecutive nights.  He can't consistently replicate anything he does. You can't consistently win depending on a player like that.

Inside though? The kid can do the same things every night. He can always jump and use that 7'1 wingspan. That will always be there.  He's too quick for big men to guard off 1-2 dribbles and that will always be there for him too. Having him near the basket and in constant motion (like he was more last night than any point of his career) also opens up spacing for everyone--especially Ponds.

You continuously disparage w/o any credible evidence a player who passes both the eye test and stat test. Simon is a very efficient player who despite occasionally being careless with the ball plays within his limitations. He is 6-5 and what 205. He is not a power forward. He is a very skilled wing player.
Yet you are defending a kid who has publicly been scolded for his D during a game by a coach that most on here are convinced barely watches the game. Fran even pointed out his lapse last night and the cute girl and chubby announcer who barely paid attention to our game pointed it out the 2nd or 3rd game.

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
So many guys on this site complain about shots early in possessions and blame the coaching for kids doing this...      it's their game plan in general and they are coached to take the open look and with guys that can actually get hot quickly, it's a good strategy.

Can they take better shots at time, of course, but to complain about when shots are taken in the possession is silly. If they give our wings open looks 3 - 5 seconds into a possession, it's going up and you are crazy if you think it changes...

We have a coach that was an incredibly intelligent player but make no mistake, he thought he was open the second he got in the gym. He is going to teach the players to be aggressive offensively.

That said, this team needs to play better overall defense and the staff has to figure out how to get 6 - 8 minutes  out of Roberts while they are short up front...

Agree here ^^^ especially with some spill minutes for Roberts. I'd take even 4-5 min from him.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2018, 10:51:35 AM »
We play 7 guys. During the supposed soft spot of our schedule Dixon is getting less than 20 minutes a game. Trimble getting 16 minutes a game for simple reason that he plays hard.
For a guy who loved Geno Lawrence a kid whose only positive attribute was he played hard would think you would hate Dixon so far.

I have to key in on Dixon more. I'm not seeing the lackluster energy you are but I haven't paid close attention. He did have 2 ties ups on the ground last night. I also thought he's been driving the ball aggressively. He got stuffed at Rutgers but converted nicely last night. Keep in mind he has 4 games under his belt over past 18 months.

I don't think he's as much of a liability on defense as Mussini was. Is that fair?

« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2018, 10:54:17 AM »
Agree with PMG and Dave.  I have no problem with an early shot (most of the time) if it is a good shot that a player is capable of making.  If a guy is having an off-game, perhaps he should put on the breaks a bit, but we want a guy like Clark to take 3-4 three pointers a game (minimum) if they are open looks because he is probably our best 3 point shooter.  When one of our guys is having an off-game, a la Ponds at Rutgers, that's when you hope they look to get others involved because of the amount of guys who can fill it up.

Defensively is the big issue.  Without a shot blocker, we need to play swarming, aggressive and disciplined D on the perimeter to force turnovers, make guys uncomfortable and prevent the other team from living in the paint.  That is what needs to be buttoned up.  If Roberts can give us some burn in the middle and a shot blocking option with Keita out, even better.

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »

Of note:

-Clark with 5 turnovers

-Simon with three offensive rebounds 🤗 which resulted in two made field goals and three fouls shots (missed all three badly).

-Clark was 2-11 and I feel like all of those misses were halfway down before they came out. I haven't seen a kid miss so many open chippies

I think overall the team has done well rebounding the ball. You can see the pride of LJ, Justin, Mustapha, Shamorie boxing out guys to grab boards. However we're simply undermanned and need a post presence to help out.

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2018, 10:59:24 AM »
Agree with PMG and Dave.  I have no problem with an early shot (most of the time) if it is a good shot that a player is capable of making.  If a guy is having an off-game, perhaps he should put on the breaks a bit, but we want a guy like Clark to take 3-4 three pointers a game (minimum) if they are open looks because he is probably our best 3 point shooter.  When one of our guys is having an off-game, a la Ponds at Rutgers, that's when you hope they look to get others involved because of the amount of guys who can fill it up.

Defensively is the big issue.  Without a shot blocker, we need to play swarming, aggressive and disciplined D on the perimeter to force turnovers, make guys uncomfortable and prevent the other team from living in the paint.  That is what needs to be buttoned up.  If Roberts can give us some burn in the middle and a shot blocking option with Keita out, even better.

Obviously game situation impacts these shot selections but this team is capable of putting up shots because they can score at a high rate. I'm not a huge stat nerd but I'd say our tempo has to be one the highest in school history. I feel like we've been waiting for this for 10 years.

SJUFAN

« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2018, 11:17:05 AM »
Trimble is playing ahead of Wright and Williams. What does that say about them?

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2018, 11:18:43 AM »
I have to key in on Dixon more. I'm not seeing the lackluster energy you are but I haven't paid close attention. He did have 2 ties ups on the ground last night. I also thought he's been driving the ball aggressively. He got stuffed at Rutgers but converted nicely last night. Keep in mind he has 4 games under his belt over past 18 months.

I don't think he's as much of a liability on defense as Mussini was. Is that fair?

I noticed the Dixon stuff our 2nd game vs Bowling Green. It was Carmelo worthy. That was game Mullin pulled him out early in 2nd half and talked to him during TO. He never came back in.
The next game Dixon was noticeable in getting out on shooters and trying to get through screens. Yesterday he was late getting out on shooters and did not fight through screens culminating in the play Fran called him out for when he backed away from the shooter with 2 seconds on the clock.
Again I am weird. When I watch games sometimes zone in on one guy for a stretch. That is how I noticed. Though some of his lapses jump out at you.
That is why though he is way more talented than Trimble they are basically getting same minutes.

cjfish

« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2018, 11:23:59 AM »

Of note:

-Clark with 5 turnovers

Only 8-21 from 3??  They are not going to shoot 50% from 3 every night.  38% is fine, any coach would love it, equates to over 50% from 2. 

Ponds performance was the best of his career.  Amazing efficiency, completely took over the game and carried the team to victory in what was a poor team defensive outing.  Poor defense leads to reaching fouls and hacks which abounded.  Liked the rebounding and they continue to move the ball well.  Seems like Ponds can get to the hoop anytime he wants, I love the ball in his hands in a close game.  That being said, a good defensive team will often get the ball out of his hands in these situations and Herron will have to step up in this role, which I believe he will.  If defense can improve, a 40 minute commitment, this team can be special.  And please, get Roberts some minutes, he will be needed.

goredmen

« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »
Trimble is playing ahead of Wright and Williams. What does that say about them?

Wright is ineligible until next year

cjfish

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2018, 11:44:11 AM »

Agree that an early 3 is OK if it is a good one by a good shooter.  Early 3s from the top of the key are perfect, it is the easiest 3, corner being second.  Got to take the good shots when they are there, you may not get another opportunity and then you are forcing it.  Anyone who has played, particularly a good shooter, understands this.   Top of the key is a 40-50% shot easily if open.   

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »
And Greg Williams is a baby still.  We complain on the one hand about not getting kids who develop over into solid 4 year players but on the other take a shots a kid who has upperclassmen playing over him 4 games into his freshman season. 

Wright is ineligible until next year