Game 5: Legends Classic Championship: VCU (ESPN2, 970 AM)

• 200 replies
Re: Game 5: Legends Classic Championship: VCU (ESPN2, 970 AM)
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2018, 11:31:30 PM »
Need to figure out 4-5 min for Roberts moving forward. We can't continuously play soft defense due to foul trouble or lack of size. I'd rather Roberts have 4 min, 2 rebounds, 3 fouls then watch our guys let people go past them.

Would like to see Williams get some burn over Trimble. Trimble can't put the ball in the hoop or the ball on the floor. Until he's hitting shots his leash needs to shorten.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2018, 11:32:21 PM »
He can’t beat man off dribble which is y he goes step back so much. Ponds different, smaller guy who needs separation. I really like fig a lot and has a motor that doesn’t stop but he is slow.
Ah, so you mean quickness.

SJUFAN

« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2018, 11:38:38 PM »
Well said.  The bunch is completely new together.  I hate the schedule in the abstract but it makes sense when you are breaking in so many new key players.

BS. This is Ponds, Clark, and Simon’s 3rd year with the program. That’s 3/5 of our starting rotation. This is also Dixon’s, Trimble, and Keita’s 2nd year with the program.

75% of the rotational players are not new. The problem is the coaching. Fran made an interesting comment after Clark fouled out, he mentioned that not fouling is something that is coached. Don’t be fooled, the issues are not that we need time to gel. Unfortunately it appears much bigger than that. We are undisciplined because the coach doesn’t value it. I want Mullin to succeed, but it’s becoming embarrassing 4 seasons in and we’re still seeing St. Jean run the huddle during in game time outs. Why do we have a 7 man rotation? Mullin needs to find 8-10 minutes a game for Williams and Roberts.

I’m glad we’re 5-0, but I have concerns going forward.

redslope

« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2018, 11:54:50 PM »
 Just back and to say it looked like a loss would express my feelings but the team kept plugging away--no quit.  If you told me Heron shoots 2 of 12, I'd say NO way we win.  We are in for a long and exciting/excruciating season--our version of the Cardiac Kids.  Ponds should be enjoyed while he is here--he was more than his points tonight 7 assists and seven steals and 1 T/O.  Glad to see Figgy get all tournament honors.  He be a consistent player throughout the season.  Mikey had some good minutes and showed nice move to hoop.  Despite some bonehead plays we had only 9 T/O's to a team that was averaging 20/game. 

Sit back and put on your seat belts and enjoy the ride.  And come out to the games and you won't have to listen to Fran.

« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2018, 11:59:44 PM »
7 man rotation, something has to give. im ok with the D as long as the offense is there. Cant have both with a short bench. as long as the offensive continues, we will always have a chance against any team. 

« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2018, 12:07:46 AM »
I have no idea why people are bitching so much.

« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2018, 12:14:36 AM »
BS. This is Ponds, Clark, and Simon’s 3rd year with the program. That’s 3/5 of our starting rotation. This is also Dixon’s, Trimble, and Keita’s 2nd year with the program.

75% of the rotational players are not new. The problem is the coaching. Fran made an interesting comment after Clark fouled out, he mentioned that not fouling is something that is coached. Don’t be fooled, the issues are not that we need time to gel. Unfortunately it appears much bigger than that. We are undisciplined because the coach doesn’t value it. I want Mullin to succeed, but it’s becoming embarrassing 4 seasons in and we’re still seeing St. Jean run the huddle during in game time outs. Why do we have a 7 man rotation? Mullin needs to find 8-10 minutes a game for Williams and Roberts.

Why is it embarrassing to see St. Jean demo'ing plays in huddle? We've actually been incredibly good coming out of timeouts this season.

I think the staff dynamic is actually pretty solid this year. Mitch looks like he's more vocal this year and offering instruction.

QuanMan

« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2018, 12:14:51 AM »
Just got back from BK.

If you're from NY and you didn't show up over the past two nights bc you were lazy you should be ashamed of yourself. Not only was BK fun, it was fulfilling and filled with passion. You missed out on this group hoisting a championship trophy.

I'll keep it short. This is Shamorie's last year. What he did over the past two nights will live in program history forever, forget Nova and Duke, this was better.

There is room for everyone to hop on the hype train now. Only Georgia Tech in Miami and the Princeton offense keeps us from a undefeated OOC. The worst part of the schedule is behind us and we passed all 3 tests this week.

BIG TIME. 5-0, WE ARE. 

Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2018, 12:16:36 AM »
7 man rotation, something has to give. im ok with the D as long as the offense is there. Cant have both with a short bench. as long as the offensive continues, we will always have a chance against any team. 

We've been on fortunate side for live and die by a few shots. Not sustainable over the course of the season. I expect us to get better as a team but need to exhibit some sort of confidence in Roberts for an extremely short stint.

Marillac

« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2018, 12:31:55 AM »
Simon missed Figueroa constantly tonight. I think they need to involve Dixon in distributing the offense. Can’t do any worse on the break than Simon and the kid hit some big shots tonight.
Simon is on a different frequency than Ponds, Figueroa, and Heron. He just doesn't see the floor the way they do and he doesn't play at the same pace. I suspect this to be an ongoing issue.

Marillac

« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2018, 12:40:20 AM »

This is one of the worst posts in forum history. Our second and third best players (by a mile) are brand f*cking new. We weren't good last year. We were horrible the two years before that. Do you guys get that?
To expect to go from a team that was staring a WINLESS conference slate in the face last year to being a team that actually does something in March in five games is beyond unreasonable. I'm not even sure I'd label us good yet. VCU is about as good of a team that we can beat right now.

You can throw whatever we got from Simon last year out the window. His role will be completely different in three weeks and each game gets us a little closer.

Marillac

« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2018, 12:44:38 AM »
Need to figure out 4-5 min for Roberts moving forward. We can't continuously play soft defense due to foul trouble or lack of size. I'd rather Roberts have 4 min, 2 rebounds, 3 fouls then watch our guys let people go past them.

Would like to see Williams get some burn over Trimble. Trimble can't put the ball in the hoop or the ball on the floor. Until he's hitting shots his leash needs to shorten.

That's where the cupcakes come in. Those lesser opponents will allow us to get Roberts and Williams some burn.

Of course, we'll have to deal with the whining of the Rambos of the forum who think we should be kicking Kansas and Kentucky's dicks in every OOC game and see no difference between Prarie View AnM and VCU.

goredmen

« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2018, 12:48:44 AM »
That's where the cupcakes come in. Those lesser opponents will allow us to get Roberts and Williams some burn.

Of course, we'll have to deal with the whining of the Rambos of the forum who think we should be kicking Kansas and Kentucky's dicks in every OOC game and see no difference between Prarie View AnM and VCU.

Don't worry, by Tuesday night you'll be saying Maryland Eastern Shore could beat the Indiana Pacers

Poison

« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2018, 01:05:45 AM »
Anyone else find it odd that a freshman who has barely played entered the game with seconds to go instead of Trimble?

Not that I’m campaigning for Trimble after the way he’s played, but that’s an odd decision.

Marillac

« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2018, 01:15:32 AM »
He can’t beat man off dribble which is y he goes step back so much. Ponds different, smaller guy who needs separation. I really like fig a lot and has a motor that doesn’t stop but he is slow.
I don't think he has the handle to get by guys consistently at this point. It's tough for guys with long arms. He also seems to be a rhythm guy like Ponds...looking to change the pace. Very skilled kid but the handle doesn't seem to be the best in his tool kit.

I'm just really impressed with him. We've missed on so many similar recruits.

« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2018, 02:36:40 AM »
- Stupid, undisciplined, stagnant streetball.

- Walden lucky he didn't get 3 techs. Garfunkel should have had one too.

- Hammer had a rough tournament.

- The out of conference scheduling has been tremendous.  3 games that pushed us to the limit and still undefeated. Perfection.

« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2018, 02:38:26 AM »
The problem is the coaching.

Coaching is not a problem until it's a problem.  We're 5 and 0.

SJUFAN

« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2018, 06:18:17 AM »
Coaching is not a problem until it's a problem.  We're 5 and 0.

Yes I’ll take it. I’m just concerned that the issues we all see will not be corrected over time and it bites us once the competition increases.