Game 5: Legends Classic Championship: VCU (ESPN2, 970 AM)

• 200 replies
Re: Game 5: Legends Classic Championship: VCU (ESPN2, 970 AM)
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »
what i didn't like at all last night, is that it was painfully obvious that each time we were in a position to take the lead, Ponds wanted to 'be the man' to get us over the hump, he wanted the accolades. 

at the end it all turned out in our favor, but if we're going to win consistently, he needs to find ways to create for others down the stretch.

also, heron was completely off last night.  hopefully he's okay...

« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2018, 01:28:18 PM »
When you have a player who's arguably a first team all american...I'd like him to have the ball at the end of the game.  We'd be 3-2 if Ponds was ordinary.

TONYD3

« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2018, 02:47:16 PM »
The fan base spent the entire summer obsessing about whether a new assistant would be added and bemoaning that he wasn't and playing where's waldo with MR and then when they see an assistant actually doing something it's an embarrassment.
So you are finally conceding the point that St. Jean coaches the team ?

Foad

« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2018, 03:20:15 PM »
Yes the natural progression of a teams steady improvement I expect as well. However this iso ball appears to be the offense of choice and it contributes to poor shot selection all around.

AFAICT - and I've never coached a 4rd grade girl's CYO team so it might be that I have no idea what I'm talking about - the idea behind the offense is to create mismatches and exploit them. Running isolations is the plan. They're not going to all of a sudden start running a Princeton offense. If they're running an NBA offense with non NBA players, there's going to be some hiccups.

I’m not enjoying it and fear it will only continue as the season progresses. The players get discouraged, it was a big reason for Owens departure. Although Owens thought he was better than he is, we are missing his presence on the inside.

Owens was delusional if he thought he deserved more touches and I'd rather have no Owens than Owens taking 10 shots a game and anyway he's getting fewer shots and minutes at TT than he did last year at SJ and he would be getting this year so it serves him and his dopey father right.

In previous years it was understandable why Ponds wouldn’t pass the ball, not this year.

He had 7 assists yesterday and has 18 over his last three games and is averaging 5 a game. The last SJ player to average 5 a game was Gene Lawrence in 2006. Could the ball move more, yes. Do I want him to pass to Marvin Clark who's shooting 29 % from the floor? No, not until he gets his head out of his ass. Heron's getting double figure attempts (18 fewer than Ponds over five games is 4 fewer per game.)  Figeroa deserves more looks. The rest of it looks okay to me. The danger is that they start doing what they did last year: stand around watching Ponds create. They don't seem to have that inclination.

Foad

« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2018, 03:20:49 PM »

Have I called you stupid yet today? If not, consider this it.

« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2018, 04:06:47 PM »
The Doctor showed good signs he's moving towards being a valuable piece of this puzzle.

4 for 4 without a turnover and one highlight reel lay in move that was Ponds like. He' quick.

« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2018, 02:46:44 AM »
You've never met a more miserable fan base until you've met us.

We are the Legends champions, enjoy it you whining malcontents.

TONYD3

« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »
Have I called you stupid yet today? If not, consider this it.
Happy thanksgiving

Marillac

« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2018, 03:06:03 PM »
Figueroa needs more opportunities. He is a very impressive passer. I like him more every game.

« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »

Haha! I mean...c'mon, man. For real. When does this forum start to actually root for this team? For most folks on here, winning isn't important. Winning by 100 is. With perfect ball distributionbon offense. Maybe pitch a shutout or two defensively. Teams who haven't won in the past decade don't just step on the floor and win like that. WE ARE WINNING. The amount of whining on this thread is embarrassing. Clearly there are things this team can be doing better, but it seems like most people on here will never be satisfied. So let's keep complaining about the schedule and our assistant coaches and our All American and our lack of size.....

TONYD3

« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »
I am not miserable. Just tired of this nonsense. Pitt and UConn won’t be built like this team was and their fans won’t have to endure what we did. When you don’t have players you build culture and defense first. That is not what we did. Coaches don’t get passes. Coaches should be judged on how their teams perform under reasonable circumstances. Durand Johnson should have been made to play defense and not take awful shots. Maybe that mistake wouldn’t have been repeated so much if their was any kind of foundation being built here. That is why their has been so much talk of an experienced assistant.

For 3 years we have got absolutely
destroyed. Excuses have not only been made they have been invented. This team is undisciplined. That is why we have lost.

Year 4- very lucky to have the players we have. Also very lucky to be 5-0. Besides Rutgers we have played poorly. Still no depth. Still the same shit, bad shots and shit defense. Enjoy your 5-0!

I was At the tournament in Brooklyn. I didn’t enjoy it as much as most. Ponds played 2 amazing second halves. If we played well those games wouldn’t have been close. Not looking for blowouts. I want to see the team get better.
These games coming up vs the wagner’s Of the world. My expectation is that we take a lot of 3’s and a lot of alley oops. I don’t expect this team to get better not being challenged.

« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2018, 11:27:51 AM »
So this is the logic that I don't get. If we're "lucky" to have the players we have, then you'll never give credit to the coaching staff for bringing in anyone. If you were coming out if high school as a top recruit, is Queens really that attractive? The way athletic facilities are built now, what does St. John's have to offer to compete with? You want too 100 recruits to play like like too 30 recruits. Top 100 recruits are talented but undisciplined. That's why they're not top 30 recruits. You want them to play a top schedule without proving themselves against a mediocre schedule. You want to talk about how they had to come from behind instead of talk about that the DID come from behind. What St. John's has to offer now is a coach who's biggest asset is that he is a legend and he knows the NBA. Everyone loves him. He lets the kids play. Whatever his shortcomings are as an X and O guy means nothing. Shit, everyone in this forum thinks they are an X and O guy. That's easy. Other people can take care of that. Kids have to want to come here. They want to see wins. They want to see someone go the NBA. Let this guy get kids here. All your bitching about playing shitty in wins is just that. Bitching. You want make an impact? Write something constructive on here so if some recruit stumbles on it and says, "Hey, let's see how much St. John's gans love their team," they don't see half this board talking shit about the kids and the staff.

« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2018, 11:43:29 AM »
Enjoy your 5-0!

Imagine not enjoying being 5-0. At least this dude finally admitted he's not a fan of the team.

« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »
So this is the logic that I don't get. If we're "lucky" to have the players we have, then you'll never give credit to the coaching staff for bringing in anyone. If you were coming out if high school as a top recruit, is Queens really that attractive? The way athletic facilities are built now, what does St. John's have to offer to compete with? You want too 100 recruits to play like like too 30 recruits. Top 100 recruits are talented but undisciplined. That's why they're not top 30 recruits. You want them to play a top schedule without proving themselves against a mediocre schedule. You want to talk about how they had to come from behind instead of talk about that the DID come from behind. What St. John's has to offer now is a coach who's biggest asset is that he is a legend and he knows the NBA. Everyone loves him. He lets the kids play. Whatever his shortcomings are as an X and O guy means nothing. Shit, everyone in this forum thinks they are an X and O guy. That's easy. Other people can take care of that. Kids have to want to come here. They want to see wins. They want to see someone go the NBA. Let this guy get kids here. All your bitching about playing shitty in wins is just that. Bitching. You want make an impact? Write something constructive on here so if some recruit stumbles on it and says, "Hey, let's see how much St. John's gans love their team," they don't see half this board talking shit about the kids and the staff.

Mullin is an NBA guy, he runs an NBA offense. Which is a lot of ISO play, a lot of running, a lot of three pointers. If you are an NBA fan you see and get it. A lot of people on here want to see a college offense with plays and shit. It would be nice if they moved around more on offense but whatever works for them works for them and I would never complain about it.

All summer complaints about getting an "X&O" guy. Literally St. Jean has been bringing THE FIRE coming out of timeouts (it wasn't executed to perfection but that play to try to win the game vs VCU at the end of regulation was great). Someone literally on here called it embarrassing.

MISERABLE these people.

TONYD3

« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2018, 01:17:25 PM »
Mullin is an NBA guy, he runs an NBA offense. Which is a lot of ISO play, a lot of running, a lot of three pointers. If you are an NBA fan you see and get it. A lot of people on here want to see a college offense with plays and shit. It would be nice if they moved around more on offense but whatever works for them works for them and I would never complain about it.

All summer complaints about getting an "X&O" guy. Literally St. Jean has been bringing THE FIRE coming out of timeouts (it wasn't executed to perfection but that play to try to win the game vs VCU at the end of regulation was great). Someone literally on here called it embarrassing.

MISERABLE these people.
What you either have forgotten or haven’t realized is this offense hasnt worked here. For every Nebraska and Rutgers games their are 5 awful shooting nights.
 This NBA style works in the NBA because the players are better. All those guys shoot well. They were all outstanding college scorrers. Any open shot for them is a good shot.
I don’t watch the NBA because I find it boring. (The playoffs are great.) Watching a bad Knick team play another bad team when neither runs and offense is awful basketball.
The OOC should prepare a team for conference play. Their is not one team that we will play in November or December that is any where near as good as a big east team with a good coach. So if you think that was a good plan. I disagree. If you think that is miserable, sorry. Enjoy your legends classic title. Wagner in a few weeks should make this team 9-0. Congrats!

Big east is starting soon. Kevin Williard will be ready on the 29th. He is 6-0 vs mullin. Those 11 losses in a row wasn’t bad luck. Last year we tied for 9th which is the same as tying for last. That team without Lovett wasn’t great. Certainly wasn’t a last place team.

St. Jean out of timeouts has been great.

goredmen

« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2018, 01:29:51 PM »
Big east is starting soon. Kevin Williard will be ready on the 29th. He is 6-0 vs mullin.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400919715

You are fake news
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 01:30:28 PM by goredmen »

Foad

« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2018, 02:08:51 PM »

Poison

« Reply #197 on: November 23, 2018, 02:34:16 PM »

You’ve lost me. I don’t recall thinking that he hasn’t been coaching. What am I conceding here?

« Reply #198 on: November 23, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »
What you either have forgotten or haven’t realized is this offense hasnt worked here. For every Nebraska and Rutgers games their are 5 awful shooting nights.
 This NBA style works in the NBA because the players are better. All those guys shoot well. They were all outstanding college scorrers. Any open shot for them is a good shot.
I don’t watch the NBA because I find it boring. (The playoffs are great.) Watching a bad Knick team play another bad team when neither runs and offense is awful basketball.
The OOC should prepare a team for conference play. Their is not one team that we will play in November or December that is any where near as good as a big east team with a good coach. So if you think that was a good plan. I disagree. If you think that is miserable, sorry. Enjoy your legends classic title. Wagner in a few weeks should make this team 9-0. Congrats!

Big east is starting soon. Kevin Williard will be ready on the 29th. He is 6-0 vs mullin. Those 11 losses in a row wasn’t bad luck. Last year we tied for 9th which is the same as tying for last. That team without Lovett wasn’t great. Certainly wasn’t a last place team.

St. Jean out of timeouts has been great.

I agree with you on the NBA. It's boring, unimaginative basketball, but I don't think this is supposed to be an isolation offense. Mullin has said a million times that he wants more ball movement. The two hardest things to teach kids who don't share the basketball is number one, to share the damn ball, but a close number two is shot selection. We struggle in both regards. I think this is a roster full of kids who want to win which I think will carry over to changing the offensive mindset as the year goes on. You clearly don't.

As for the schedule.....ugh. Here we go again. Scheduling games isn't always about getting ready for the other teams you play. Scheduling, more often than not, is about what is best for YOUR team. Our schedule has to us ready for us. We have to know what it feels like to win games. Everyone is always so concerned about some game in January. Or NEXT year's recruits. Or what some other coach would have done. I'm sure you brought up Kevin Willard because that's our first BE game, but really? Kevin Willard? Why should we care about December 29th when we struggle to get past tomorrow? We have to be concerned with US right now and not worry about other teams preparing for us. In fact, I wouldn't show our kids any film on any other team except us.

It's so annoying to listen to. If I were a player or a coach on this team and I read this forum, it would make me think twice about playing here. For real. The effort on this team and the level of care they show on the court is the best we've seen in years. I will take my 5-0 and enjoy it. Someone has to on this forum.

« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2018, 12:03:24 PM »
great post "hate UConn" and "harmless", growth comes in steps take the winning anyway you can get it now, plus knowing that you can win when needed in close games. It's a process!