NET Rankings

• 127 replies

Marillac

Re: NET Rankings
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 09:11:18 PM »
Rutgers with a nice win on the road at Miami. Johnnies looking better by the day.

Big win for Rutgers in Coral Gables! Very nice for us as well.

VCU lost to Old Domion on the road...not so good for us.

Let's go Ga Tech!

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 09:27:10 PM »
So when it comes to St. John's the NET rankings in late November flat out proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the schedule is perfect but when it comes to Loyola, the NET rankings don't mean much because everything is going to normalize as the season goes on. Ok, if you want to contradict yourself go ahead, you've been doing it constantly.

For the 3rd time, can you please tell me which of the 8 good teams in the Big East that SJU's schedule is stronger than. Please don't make me ask a 4th time.

Dude you're insane! Hahaha you're all over the place. You want debate Loyola and now we have break down the Big East's schedules?!!!

Are you all there man? I NEVER claimed our schedule was hard! Wtf do I have to compare levels of difficulty other Big East teams?

Why is this so difficult for you? Our schedule isn't hard or weak. And I think that's pretty damn close to perfect for this team.

Here's a summary for you:

You and others:  our schedule is so bad we will need to win 26 games to make the tournament...going 12-0 wouldn't be impressive.

Marillac:  I think the schedule is pretty decent. Not too tough, not to weak.

You guys: nice person! That's the dumbest thing ever. Marquette. Marquette. Marquette. Marquette. We'll be doomed in the metrics!

WASJU: Simon has a beautiful handle. Do you think he's into guys from Staten Island?

Marillac: Disagree. First five look pretty tough especially if we play Temple. I guarantee we have a top 25-50 SOS after the first 5 games.

You: *has violent seizure and spits out incoherent nonsense*

WASJU:  We need more cowbell. Simon needs to drive 35x a game for us to be successful.

Marillac: Ohbl look the rankings are out, SJU #6 in RPI and #29 in NET.

You: F*cking Loyola!!!!! Talk to me St. Patrick's Day. Give me an in depth analysis of the entire Big East schedule by 11 PM!

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »
Dude you're insane! Hahaha you're all over the place. You want debate Loyola and now we have break down the Big East's schedules?!!!

Are you all there man? I NEVER claimed our schedule was hard! Wtf do I have to compare levels of difficulty other Big East teams?

Why is this so difficult for you? Our schedule isn't hard or weak. And I think that's pretty damn close to perfect for this team.

Here's a summary for you:

You and others:  our schedule is so bad we will need to win 26 games to make the tournament...going 12-0 wouldn't be impressive.

Marillac:  I think the schedule is pretty decent. Not too tough, not to weak.

You guys: nice person! That's the dumbest thing ever. Marquette. Marquette. Marquette. Marquette. We'll be doomed in the metrics!

WASJU: Simon has a beautiful handle. Do you think he's into guys from Staten Island?

Marillac: Disagree. First five look pretty tough especially if we play Temple. I guarantee we have a top 25-50 SOS after the first 5 games.

You: *has violent seizure and spits out incoherent nonsense*

WASJU:  We need more cowbell. Simon needs to drive 35x a game for us to be successful.

Marillac: Ohbl look the rankings are out, SJU #6 in RPI and #29 in NET.

You: F*cking Loyola!!!!! Talk to me St. Patrick's Day. Give me an in depth analysis of the entire Big East schedule by 11 PM!

This is a pretty great summary. Like Marillac has said many times, this schedule is not hard but it's perfect for us. I would much rather go 11-1 in OOC and 10-8 in BE play than 8-4 with a 10-8 record in BE play. Our schedule also allows us to play our new freshmen to get them ready for the BE season.

goredmen

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 09:32:59 PM »
I NEVER claimed our schedule was hard!

Our schedule isn't hard or weak.

Wow. Unbelievable

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 09:55:08 PM »
This is a pretty great summary. Like Marillac has said many times, this schedule is not hard but it's perfect for us. I would much rather go 11-1 in OOC and 10-8 in BE play than 8-4 with a 10-8 record in BE play. Our schedule also allows us to play our new freshmen to get them ready for the BE season.

Thank you! Some sanity.

Foad

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 10:11:44 PM »
It's not even December yet and you're obsessing over these metrics that mean exactly zero this time of year.

Not taking sides but you've been obsessing over various scheduling metrics since September.

goredmen

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 11:17:04 PM »
Not taking sides but you've been obsessing over various scheduling metrics since September.

Fair point, but I think the only actually scheduling metric I've mentioned is the KenPom one and even I take that with a grain of salt before there is enough data points for the numbers to work themselves out.

Aside from that it's basically just eyeballing the opponents on our schedule and knowing how the NCAA Tournament selection process generally works. The committee has shown they punish teams with weak schedules and/or not enough quality wins. Our schedule is weak (a point which I can't even believe is being debated) which limits our opportunities for quality wins. My feeling is that does this team a disservice which is especially unfortunate because of the avoidable nature of this error.

I do take issue with pointing at the NET/RPI or whatever rankings on November 28th and claiming that they unconditionally validate the idea that the schedule isn't weak while at the same acknowledging there are obvious flaws in those metric systems this early in the season.

Like I've said numerous times, this is going to hurt us in March when it actually matters. The metrics will drag us down some as they normalize but even those are a small part of the committee process. When people look at our resume and see St. John's best OOC win is Georgia Tech or Rutgers while other similar teams have multiple wins that are FAR better than those, it's going to hurt unless our BE season goes completely on one of the extreme ends of the spectrum.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 11:48:12 PM »

I do take issue with pointing at the NET/RPI or whatever rankings on November 28th and claiming that they unconditionally validate the idea that the schedule isn't weak

Who is saying that?! Dude, take a deep breath. I have not posted that the metrics have "unconditionally" or "unequivocally" proven anything. You take liberties to incorrectly summarize my posts and then you attribute those ill-conceived summaries to me and add your own emphasis. What's next, I'm going to be shirtless in Times Square aggressively screaming how we have the hardest schedule of all time?

I don't think our schedule is weak. That doesn't mean I think it's strong. And I don't unequivocally think any metric proves anything after six games. But you know what? It's a pretty f*cking good sign isn't it? If we were #85 in the NET with what we have on the schedule games 8-12, we'd be in some trouble.

You need to learn to stick to the point. I THINK this schedule will end up being pretty damn close to perfect for a team like us that needs time to get better. You just can't accept that.

These comments about how gong 12-0 would be unimpressive are just madness. Rutgers just beat a good Miami team on the road. A game like that on the road can be a loss any given night.

goredmen

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 11:55:23 PM »
I have not posted that the metrics have "unconditionally" or "unequivocally" proven anything.

You posted this literally not even 4 hours ago in this thread:

"We're #29 in the NET and #6 in the RPI after those five games. That's literally proof that I was right, but you are so unbelievably stubborn you can't admit it."

goredmen

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 12:00:56 AM »
You take liberties to incorrectly summarize my posts and then you attribute those ill-conceived summaries to me and add your own emphasis.

In another thread just minutes ago you posted this referring to Georgia Tech: According to some on here they'd look really good to the selection committee with 12 losses to Gonzaga, Duke, and Kansas.

Obviously incorrectly summarizing my point and then attributing those ill-conceived summaries to me and add your own emphasis.

goredmen

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 12:12:43 AM »
These comments about how gong 12-0 would be unimpressive are just madness. Rutgers just beat a good Miami team on the road. A game like that on the road can be a loss any given night.

Last but not least, of those 12 games only in 3 them were/are we only single digit favorites. So we are double digit favorites in 9 of them and 15+ point favorites in 7 of those 9. So theoretically we have 3 "loseable" games of those 12, all which we would still be favored to win. So yeah, essentially winning 3 tough games that we are still favored in and then not falling on our face against the cupcakes is all we have to do to get to 12-0. So yeah, color me unimpressed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:13:16 AM by goredmen »

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 12:16:40 AM »
You posted this literally not even 4 hours ago in this thread:

"We're #29 in the NET and #6 in the RPI after those five games. That's literally proof that I was right, but you are so unbelievably stubborn you can't admit it."

Are you drunk? Please tell me you are.

In that same post you just quoted, I wrote this above:  "You are being dense on purpose. My claim about where we'd be after five games was clear and exceptionally narrow in scope. I said we would have a top 25-50 SOS. That's it. We do."

The narrow claim I made that you took issue with was that we'd have a top 25-50 SOS after 5 games. Not 30 games. Not even 6 games! After 5 games. We do. That is is proof that my very narrow claim came true.

Do you get that? Stick to the point man.

If you want to know here I think we'll be after 12 games, I'd be happy to give my prediction if you can just stay on topic when discussing it.

goredmen

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 12:21:04 AM »
Are you drunk? Please tell me you are.

In that same post you just quoted, I wrote this above:  "You are being dense on purpose. My claim about where we'd be after five games was clear and exceptionally narrow in scope. I said we would have a top 25-50 SOS. That's it. We do."

The narrow claim I made that you took issue with was that we'd have a top 25-50 SOS after 5 games. Not 30 games. Not even 6 games! After 5 games. We do. That is is proof that my very narrow claim came true.

Do you get that? Stick to the point man.

If you want to know here I think we'll be after 12 games, I'd be happy to give my prediction if you can just stay on topic when discussing it.

I don't care where we'll be after 12 games. I care where we'll be after ~33 games because that's the only time it matters. That has always been my point and that's when the weak schedule will come back to bite us in one way or another.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2018, 12:24:24 AM »
Last but not least, of those 12 games only in 3 them were/are we only single digit favorites. So we are double digit favorites in 9 of them and 15+ point favorites in 7 of those 9. So theoretically we have 3 "loseable" games of those 12, all which we would still be favored to win. So yeah, essentially winning 3 tough games that we are still favored in and then not falling on our face against the cupcakes is all we have to do to get to 12-0. So yeah, color me unimpressed.

I'm sorry, I refuse to engage you unless the scope is narrow and well defined. The topic of the quality of our opppnents is far too subjective an susceptible to multiple interpretations. Discussing this with you would make jumping off the GWB seem as inviting as a week in Cozumel.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2018, 12:26:45 AM »
I don't care where we'll be after 12 games. I care where we'll be after ~33 games because that's the only time it matters. That has always been my point and that's when the weak schedule will come back to bite us in one way or another.

Then why post obsessively on a fan forum about the future? Just show up in April and give a recap🙄

goredmen

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2018, 12:37:50 AM »
I'm sorry, I refuse to engage you unless the scope is narrow and well defined. The topic of the quality of our opppnents is far too subjective an susceptible to multiple interpretations. Discussing this with you would make jumping off the GWB seem as inviting as a week in Cozumel.

You're the only that brought up the impressiveness of going 12-0, not me

goredmen

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2018, 12:42:22 AM »

Then why post obsessively on a fan forum about the future? Just show up in April and give a recap🙄

The other day I proposed tabling this schedule argument until March 17 which is Selection Sunday,  which is when it will become apparent that the lack of quality in the OOC schedule has hurt us. You declined that proposal so here we are

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2018, 07:06:19 AM »
2 good posters are making themselves unbearable. Neither of you are as right as you think you are or as wrong as the other says you are.  Let it go
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:10:11 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »
^^^this guy gets it.

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »
Can I get an Amen! Quite frankly these rankings services boor the heck out of me. Only thing worse is discussing them.