NET Rankings

• 127 replies

LoganK

Re: NET Rankings
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2018, 09:20:43 PM »
I've recently resolved to not be as much of a cvnt as I usually am, except I'm still going to shit on TonyD at every opportunity, because he's an imbecile, so this is me not trying to be a cvnt or foment discord.
I'm confident I could garner the same reactions from you that Tony does if I tried hard enough.  Hopefully I'm not setting the bar too high...low?

(a) multiple occasions that happen twice are random if they happen one less time
Even if it was 1 time, it would still apply as a specific instance that a team was penalized for playing a weak OOC schedule.  The fact that it happened twice merely enforces that.

(b) the OOC schedule doesn't matter of you play in one the top conferences in the country and win most of your games
If we win 11 games, then yes, we're obviously in at 12-1 OOC.  But there is a direct correlation between seed and performance in the tourney.  Success against a more difficult OOC schedule would result in a higher seed, and a higher chance of advancing.
Going 9-9, like Syracuse did in the old BE, could leave us on the fence of even making the tournament.

I'm gonna be honest, I really don't understand why people don't think the OOC schedule has an effect on if you make/what seed you get in the NCAA tournament.

Foad

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2018, 10:14:39 AM »
Even if it was 1 time, it would still apply as a specific instance that a team was penalized for playing a weak OOC schedule.  The fact that it happened twice merely enforces that.

(a) There's no evidence that SU was penalized for having a weak OOC except you saying it's true (and they didn't make the tournament in 2007 with a SOS on 55 which isn't weak, it's in the top 20 percent) and the way I remember it was that it wasn't the teams they played it was where they played them, ie never leaving NY state - one road game @ Marist and one neutral at MSG and everything else in the Dome, a problem SJ will not have, because after today they'll have played 5 neutral court games and one road game in three states and (b) you're conveniently not mentioning the thing that's really happened "multiple times" aka more than twice: Syracuse often had a weak OOC schedule and they often made the tournament with a reasonable seed. In 1992 they played no road games OOC against a slate of nobodies, won 18 games during the regular season (10-8 in the BE) and were a six seed via an automatic bid with a SOS of 104. In 1995 they were 18 and 8 and were a seven seed with a a SOS of 160.

If we win 11 games, then yes, we're obviously in at 12-1 OOC.  But there is a direct correlation between seed and performance in the tourney. Success against a more difficult OOC schedule would result in a higher seed, and a higher chance of advancing.

I don't know what you mean by direct correlation between seed and performance. If seeding was random would number 1 seeds outperform number seven seeds as a matter of course? If not there's no correlation between seed qua seed and performance. The correlation is between the committee's knowledge of which teams are the best and which are not quite the best and which are the worst and the near worst and that their guesses about the middle are relatively informed - since 2005 11 and 12 seeds have won more games than 9 and 10 seeds, because the middle seeds are a crap shoot, so much for direct correlation - and in general the expected outcome occurs. The committee does that using a number of variables, of which SOS is one.

Going 9-9, like Syracuse did in the old BE, could leave us on the fence of even making the tournament.

If we go .500 in conference we'd deserve to be on the fence. Because we'd have stunk up the joint. And we'd be further on the fence if instead of being say 12-1 OOC we were 9-4 versus a vaguely tougher schedule and ended up 18-13. 

I'm gonna be honest, I really don't understand why people don't think the OOC schedule has an effect on if you make/what seed you get in the NCAA tournament.

Yeah, nobody said that OOC schedule has no effect of whether you make the tournament. Marillac eg has said that the schedule isn't as weak as it's made out to be. My point has been that the usual conga line of malcontents have to have something to complain about so rather than being happy that the team is winning despite not playing terribly well they're wailing and gnashing their teeth about the schedule. They should cheer up, because I suspect they'll be some losses along the way and they can clap their hands with glee and say I told you so.

wpc77

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
AP Poll is out.  57 votes for SJU. Essentially, "30th" in the poll. Nova 17th, Marquette 21st. The Hall got 1 vote. 

QuanMan

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »
AP Poll is out.  57 votes for SJU. Essentially, "30th" in the poll. Nova 17th, Marquette 21st. The Hall got 1 vote. 

Yet Kentucky gets 385 votes and stays within the top 25. Georgetown who takes Cuse to the brink in the Carrier Dome gets zero votes while Cuse is tied for 25th with 111 votes. I'm confused. There shouldn't be a Top25 until Christmas imo, politics.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2018, 03:10:04 PM »
The AP poll is entirely subjective and in this day antiquated.

Good 50+ years ago... that's about it.

Hope it starts to get less publicity as all these other metrics refine themselves.

Foad

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2018, 04:02:20 PM »
The AP poll is entirely subjective and in this day antiquated.

Good 50+ years ago... that's about it.

The AP poll correlates to NCAA tournament performance at slightly lower percentage (64) than does seeding (80). As Twain said, the report of my death was an exaggeration.

TONYD3

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2018, 04:28:17 PM »

Yeah, nobody said that OOC schedule has no effect of whether you make the tournament. Marillac eg has said that the schedule isn't as weak as it's made out to be. My point has been that the usual conga line of malcontents have to have something to complain about so rather than being happy that the team is winning despite not playing terribly well they're wailing and gnashing their teeth about the schedule. They should cheer up, because I suspect they'll be some losses along the way and they can clap their hands with glee and say I told you so.

[/quote]
No reason to wait for any losses. I already told you so. Enjoy the next few weeks of cupcakes.

Foad

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »
No reason to wait for any losses. I already told you so. Enjoy the next few weeks of cupcakes.

I will. Because I'm happy when they win. And then they'll lose - everyone does - and you'll enjoy that, because you're a such a fan of the program.

TONYD3

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2018, 05:04:11 PM »
I will. Because I'm happy when they win. And then they'll lose - everyone does - and you'll enjoy that, because you're a such a fan of the program.
Again you are full of shit. Go read some of your posts from 4 years ago when we were legitimately good. Meaning we played quality basketball against good teams and usually won.
Yesterday we played a bad team AGAIN. Played a poor 1st half as per usual. Then pulled away. Sorry that doesn’t impress me.
Back to you being full of shit- imagine if Steve lavin sent out that starting 5?
Enjoy your season- 12-0. Quite a feat!

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2018, 06:06:41 PM »
Again you are full of shit. Go read some of your posts from 4 years ago when we were legitimately good. Meaning we played quality basketball against good teams and usually won.
Yesterday we played a bad team AGAIN. Played a poor 1st half as per usual. Then pulled away. Sorry that doesn’t impress me.
Back to you being full of shit- imagine if Steve lavin sent out that starting 5?

I wouldn’t say Balamou and whatever walk on that was sent out on a particular whim is especially comparable to the 3 that came out yesterday, all of whom ended up having decent enough games.

TONYD3

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2018, 06:31:42 PM »
I wouldn’t say Balamou and whatever walk on that was sent out on a particular whim is especially comparable to the 3 that came out yesterday, all of whom ended up having decent enough games.
You are right. That was awful. Lavin was awful that January.  Maybe mullin’s move was right. (For real) was just arguing with fxck off and die. Silly point- foady would have bashed lavin for same shit.

Foad

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2018, 08:35:02 PM »

Steve Lavin started a walk on against Georgetown in a league game based upon a dream he had, remember that stupid? He shuffled line ups in consecutive Decembers like I shuffled girl friends - I'm sorry I just used a word you didn't understand, that means broads you bang - like I did in my 20s. And 30s. And 40s. He suspended his best player at the end of one year to obscure his dearth of coaching ability and didn't start the guy who's in prison now that was his best recruit evah a bunch of times to teach him skills for life. You truly are an exquisitely stupid nice person. And the best part is that you're so much so that you mistake your own imbecility for cleverness.

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2018, 09:05:51 PM »
Steve Lavin started a walk on against Georgetown in a league game based upon a dream he had, remember that stupid? He shuffled line ups in consecutive Decembers like I shuffled girl friends - I'm sorry I just used a word you didn't understand, that means broads you bang - like I did in my 20s. And 30s. And 40s. He suspended his best player at the end of one year to obscure his dearth of coaching ability and didn't start the guy who's in prison now that was his best recruit evah a bunch of times to teach him skills for life. You truly are an exquisitely stupid nice person. And the best part is that you're so much so that you mistake your own imbecility for cleverness.

No need to get personal calling people nice persons. You can make your point but lets not make it about each other.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2018, 09:06:40 PM »

Same for Foad goes to you too

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2018, 09:08:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/1072188554040750082

He's not wrong. All sport media voting is like senior citizens still having their driver's license.

Marillac

« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2018, 11:24:02 PM »

Hahahahaha

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2018, 05:43:16 PM »
little movement from last week: 30 (-1) in NET; 32 (=) in AP; 28 (-1) in Coaches.

Foad

« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »
All sport media voting is like senior citizens still having their driver's license.

Is there a need to get personal with your age-ism?

TONYD3

« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2018, 07:15:09 PM »
Is there a need to get personal with your age-ism?
Agree. Foady is 70 years young!

Foad

« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2018, 07:20:00 PM »
Agree. Foady is 70 years young!

I'm 58. You're only 20 percent wrong, which is much closer than your usual guesses.

<adjusted the %, failure to carry the one>
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:22:08 PM by Foad »