Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)

• 251 replies
Re: Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2018, 04:34:19 PM »
Heron is almost a victim of being built like a bull...never seen anyone get fouled as often as he does w no call.
+1

« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2018, 04:39:54 PM »
Say what you will but this team doesn’t waiver. They keep shooting
X&Os and recruiting aside, that is one of Mullin’s coaching strengths. He doesn’t panic and engenders confidence in each player. You’d wish some would have less than others but better that they be confident and unafraid than tentative and afraid to lose.

Poison

« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2018, 05:00:28 PM »
Trimble scouring twitter and liking hate tweets.

What?

« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2018, 06:41:29 PM »
Does the tournament go on? Do we play Texas Tech with Tariq Owens?

goredmen

« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2018, 06:53:27 PM »
Does the tournament go on? Do we play Texas Tech with Tariq Owens?

No. Wasn't a tournament. Just 4 games at the venue for Hoophall

redslope

« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2018, 08:06:48 PM »
It continues--this team is really the Cardiac Kids; guaranteed to send older alums to emergency rooms during the season.  At least they are NOT boring to watch when you consider the whole 40 minutes and not the dry spells alone.  First time we have opened 7-0 since 1994/5.  Not bad with 2 guys (Clark and Herron) playing out of position

The double tech really seemed to spark Ponds and the team as they were down 10 at the time.  Alvarado was put in his place by Ponds who won the Brooklyn Bragging Rights today.

SJUFAN

« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2018, 08:09:10 PM »
Mullin badly out coached Pastner.

You can’t be serious. The team came out and played down to a lesser opponent yet again. Just because Pastner gafed at the end doesn’t mean Mullin was Wooden. The talent disparity between the teams are significant. Mullin shouldn’t receive credit for Ponds Herculean efforts.

« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2018, 08:18:23 PM »
I'll happily eat my words from earlier in the game thread. Ponds has a killer instinct I'm not sure I've seen in an SJU uniform. Just realizes in crunch time he needs to take over, and does

As weird as it is, our lack of a big man is almost neutralized by our ability to just put 5 athletic scorers on the floor. It's very tough for teams to match up with that.

I also question Mullin as a coach, but you have to give him credit for keeping the guys motivated in this one.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:22:02 PM by redstorm212 »

Poison

« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2018, 08:28:54 PM »
Tariq Owens almost had a triple double today.

« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
Mullin ate Pastner alive today. Partner should be on the hotseat after this coaching performance.
Ponds ate Pastner alive, Mullin still starving.

Johnny23

« Reply #150 on: December 01, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »
Mullin ate Pastner alive today. Partner should be on the hotseat after this coaching performance.

Talk about a false narrative. Pastner owned Mullin in the first half and coached him out of the gym leading to a huge deficit. Mullin's very lucky to have Ponds or the Johnnies loses that game by double digits.

Johnny23

« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »
Tariq Owens almost had a triple double today.

We could sure as hell use him as we come up against real size in conference. Shame.

Foad

« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2018, 08:57:12 PM »
Good god but I love these threads:

" Mullin spazzing out again"

"embarrassing"

"Good. Let them get killed today,"

"This team will be lucky to finish .500"

"Mullin is getting thoroughly outcoached today." 

"Josh Pastner owning Mullin."

"I wonder what Mullin will say at halftime other than nothing"

"Team always unorganized"

"Chris Mullin is a waste of space"

"Just pathetic"

"Father Harrington"

"these guys are a complete no show "

"even if they somehow come back and win"

"This is bad."

"Chris Mullin commatose"

"Should’ve hire Fran McCaffery "

"Ponds [...] is KILLING ME"

"Brutal."

"They need to get better"

"might as well put Earlington out there"

My take: I said several times to the long suffering missus - and I watched the last 10 minutes three times, SJU down 10 with 8 minutes left - I can't believe what I'm seeing, I can't believe what I'm seeing, and then I can't believe what I'm seeing, and then finally I can't believe what I saw. Takeaway: Shamorie Ponds is Jesus and SJU is 7-0. And all you nice persons and your real times hot takes: you're stoopid, die.

« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2018, 09:48:14 PM »
Talk about a false narrative. Pastner owned Mullin in the first half and coached him out of the gym leading to a huge deficit. Mullin's very lucky to have Ponds or the Johnnies loses that game by double digits.

False narrative would be giving pastner credit for his team playing well and ignoring mullin for the same. Truth is the team missed shots in the first and GT hit theirs. Mullin made some adjustments that worked well.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #154 on: December 01, 2018, 10:02:09 PM »
False narrative would be giving pastner credit for his team playing well and ignoring mullin for the same. Truth is the team missed shots in the first and GT hit theirs. Mullin made some adjustments that worked well.

Sure you can give Mullin credit for the win but it's because Ponds saved the day, not because of some adjustments the coaching staff made. And what I said is the truth. Pastner took SJU right out of the game with the 1-3-1 zone and Mullin didn't know how to adjust. Like I said, if Ponds doesn't go off we don't win. Furthermore, GT has zero expectations this year as they were picked to finished at or near the bottom of the ACC in almost every ranking. Not the case for Mullin and St. John's in his 4th season. So to act like Pastner should be on the hot seat after this game as the other guy posted is a complete falsity.

Poison

« Reply #155 on: December 01, 2018, 10:45:47 PM »
We could sure as hell use him as we come up against real size in conference. Shame.

We could really use Owens. He’s actually exactly what we need. The staff must have really pissed his father off.

We’ve got 3 freshman that aren’t ready to play D1 ball at any level. This is a shame because they’re going to play anyway.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:57:03 PM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2018, 10:57:41 PM »
We could really use Owens. He’s actually exactly what we need.
We need a coach. That’s it!

« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2018, 11:01:07 PM »

So Pastner gets credit for his team playing well in first half (also they've played well defensively all year) but doesn't get blame for his team folding terribly in the 2nd half?

However Mullin gets blame for team not shooting well in 1st half and doesn't get credit for team coming back?

Have to give credit/blame evenly and fairly.

A few things to consider here.

- Banks killed us in the 1st half and he was neutralized in the 2nd.
- Team never gave up and played confidently.
- Team grinded on defense for 30 seconds a lot in the 2nd half.
- Team stepped up when Clark fouled out.
- Team took care of the ball at the end of the game and coaches prepped well out of huddle
- When GT should have fouled they looked unaware. St. John's knew game situation and executed knowing time and score.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2018, 11:02:16 PM »
We could really use Owens. He’s actually exactly what we need. The staff must have really pissed his father off.

We’ve got 3 freshman that aren’t ready to play D1 ball at any level. This is a shame because they’re going to play anyway.

Choice was all Owens but you're right he would have been a difference maker. Imagine this team with Owens and Keita.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2018, 11:03:14 PM »

That’s an interesting take. Can you tell me what they were trying to do on offense and ultimately the adjustments that were made?