Early Thoughts: Team and Individual Stats

• 28 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Early Thoughts: Team and Individual Stats
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 02:24:43 AM »
Just to annoy everyone further...offensive rebounding!

Down 16...4 of the next 5 possessions kept alive by big boy offensive rebounding. Points off all of them, 3 fouls on GT, and broke their will.

When I saw a shot go up and Justin Simon running to the hoop with it, I almost teared up. He JUST missed a one-handed slam, then got his rebound and put it in for the and 1.

Heron is coming alive in the offensive glass and Figgy has it in his DNA. Nobody can keep us off the glass. Nobody.

offensive rebounds? That’s your take why they won? The only way you come back by being down 16 is getting stops. If you break the game down into 4 quarters, GT scored 12 points in the first quarter, and 44 points in the 2nd and 3rd combined. At that rate we would have lost.

This team has to play 40 minutes of defense. If they had, they wouldn’t have been down by 16.

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 05:21:42 AM »
offensive rebounds? That’s your take why they won? The only way you come back by being down 16 is getting stops. If you break the game down into 4 quarters, GT scored 12 points in the first quarter, and 44 points in the 2nd and 3rd combined. At that rate we would have lost.

This team has to play 40 minutes of defense. If they had, they wouldn’t have been down by 16.

It would be silly to reduce a win down to one thing. Without the effort on the glass we would have lost, but same goes for making shots and playing better defense.

Watch the game from down 16. It's the offensive rebounding that gives us momentum and frustrates Tech. Then the pressure defense started and it was an avalanche in our favor.

That is the future if this team. Elite offense, very goo to elite offensive rebounding, and solid defense.

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 12:56:34 AM »
It would be silly to reduce a win down to one thing. Without the effort on the glass we would have lost, but same goes for making shots and playing better defense.

Watch the game from down 16. It's the offensive rebounding that gives us momentum and frustrates Tech. Then the pressure defense started and it was an avalanche in our favor.

That is the future if this team. Elite offense, very goo to elite offensive rebounding, and solid defense.

I agree with almost everything you say so this one kinda caught me off guard. Where do you think that we are great at offensive rebounding? KP has us at 324/353. Good for 22.6%. The stat is calculated as OR/(OR+DR). However we do a great job limiting the offensive rebound at 19/353.

LoganK

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 05:56:28 AM »
Our rebounding (defensively) has been very impressive.  We're one of the shorter teams in the nation but our positioning and athleticism has led to very good defensive rebounding numbers.  Offensively, we're terrible, but that's because we play along the perimeter and don't crash the boards. 
Instead, we get back on D, which probably has something to do with our outstanding turnover numbers.  We're elite at protecting the ball (6th in turnover %) and very good at turning the other team over (36th).
Rebounding and turnovers lead to extra possessions.  Extra possessions lead to extra points - which I think are a good thing.

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »
I agree with almost everything you say so this one kinda caught me off guard. Where do you think that we are great at offensive rebounding? KP has us at 324/353. Good for 22.6%. The stat is calculated as OR/(OR+DR). However we do a great job limiting the offensive rebound at 19/353.

I don't think we have been great at offensive rebounding with the exception of 1-2 games...I think we can be great going forward. Clark isn't doing anything there yet, Keita hasn't played, Heron has only recently started to shine there. Simon is has either been zeros or 2-3.

Heron only had a total of two offensive boards his first four games...he's had ten the last three.

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 01:50:06 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille
Surprising St. John's stats: Five games since Sedee Keita was hurt, have been out-rebounded by just one and are plus-three on offensive glass. #sjubb

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 02:31:43 PM »
I don't think we have been great at offensive rebounding with the exception of 1-2 games...I think we can be great going forward. Clark isn't doing anything there yet, Keita hasn't played, Heron has only recently started to shine there. Simon is has either been zeros or 2-3.

Heron only had a total of two offensive boards his first four games...he's had ten the last three.

Only 4 offensive rebounds last night, but when you factor in 57% field goal shooting, that number is more tolerable, IMO.  Not great, but more tolerable.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 03:13:15 PM »
Only 4 offensive rebounds last night, but when you factor in 57% field goal shooting, that number is more tolerable, IMO.  Not great, but more tolerable.

I'm not happy with just 4 but as you wrote the opportunities were limited.

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2018, 03:19:40 PM »
Some numbers for those who think we're overly reliant on shooting 3's.

After 8 games we're 2nd in the BE in 3 pt shooting at .382. Creighton is first at .458. Nova, who won last year's National Championship from deep, is 5th at .359, and Marquette, whose shooting everyone raves about, is 6th at .345. We are currently 5th in 3 pointers attempted with 201, while Nova leads by far with 255 attempts.

Individually, LJ's at .459, Heron's at .433, Ponds is at .357, and Dixon and Simon, with fewer attempts, are at .500 and .429 respectively.  Clark, after yesterday's strong shooting day, is at .326, well below the 41% he notched last season but trending higher.

It will be interesting to see how these numbers move as we head into BE play in a few weeks, since 3 pt shooting is so vital a part of our offense with our positionless basketball.