Game 8: Mount St. Mary's

• 88 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Game 8: Mount St. Mary's
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2018, 09:50:00 PM »
Would like to see them work in Roberts. A few minutes here and there can pay huge dividends down the road.

Marillac

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2018, 10:29:24 PM »
VCU just beat Texas on the road to improve to 7-2. Temple is 7-1 and is close on the road with Nova.

Temple has beaten Cal, Georgia, StZ Joe's, and Mizzou so far with a loss to only VCU.

QuanMan

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2018, 10:37:15 PM »
Hopefully now that we have Cragg opponents like this will never be scheduled again, at the very least schedule a Fordham or Hoftsta, a Niagara or St. Bonaventure on nights like tn. Multiple NEC teams does the players, fans, and viewers a disservice.

Nice to see Greg get competitive minutes, tn was the perfect game to give him more confidence. I was pleased w Justin and Marv tn. Shamorie was almost insultingly passive to his opponent, it almost caught up to him. Princeton's discipline won't allow the same defensive effort tn, they need to come out determined to defend for a full 30 seconds on Sunday.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2018, 11:39:49 PM »
The contest tonight between MSM and St. John's reinforced what I already knew and have posted about recently:

a) These opponents don't read press clippings.
b) They don't know they're supposed to lose.
c) The games aren't played on paper.
d) The gap between the haves and have nots is not what it used to be.

Assuming 12 and 0 just because we roll out the balls is foolish.  It will be the super bowl for jealous locals Wagner and St. Francis.  Princeton is a team famous for upsets and even Man o' War was upset.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:46:33 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2018, 11:41:55 PM »
We didn't play badly yet still it was a game till the very end.  At least not offensively.  Our ball movement was good; we shot lights out from the field and from three; and had 18 assists. Thankfully, Hammer finally began the 18/19 season.

Msm came out fearless and on fire. Their Spud Webb II is hard to force into turnovers.  They can't be the worse team in D1.

Traffic...Traffic...more Traffic. Missed the first 10 minutes. 

The halftime game was downright inspirational.

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2018, 12:42:29 AM »
Hopefully now that we have Cragg opponents like this will never be scheduled again, at the very least schedule a Fordham or Hoftsta, a Niagara or St. Bonaventure on nights like tn. Multiple NEC teams does the players, fans, and viewers a disservice.

Nice to see Greg get competitive minutes, tn was the perfect game to give him more confidence. I was pleased w Justin and Marv tn. Shamorie was almost insultingly passive to his opponent, it almost caught up to him. Princeton's discipline won't allow the same defensive effort tn, they need to come out determined to defend for a full 30 seconds on Sunday.

I agree we should avoid teams this badZ St. Francis at 5-4 and even Wagner at 3-4 are far more appropriate for the cupcake portion of the schedule.

Princeton is a style matchup nightmare but it could be a huge learning experience if we are able to pull out the win.

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2018, 12:49:55 AM »
Hopefully now that we have Cragg opponents like this will never be scheduled again, at the very least schedule a Fordham or Hoftsta, a Niagara or St. Bonaventure on nights like tn.

I 100% agree that if we are going to schedule cupcakes that we should play all the local ones so we can develop rivalries. Why not play Columbia or Manhattan etc. We should play Iona every year, and play old Big East rivals frequently.

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2018, 12:53:05 AM »
Sorry Quanman I somehow put what I wanted to say as part of what i was quoting you. I also agree with what you said about Williams. He looked real good tn and that second foul they called on him was bs

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2018, 02:15:29 AM »
Caught some of the game at work. Seems like they were just playing around trying to get some offense stuff down. Weird flex but 8-0. Get a win again Sunday.

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2018, 05:17:02 AM »
They played solid offensively tonight. Would like to see more high low play against a zone not guys just standing around the perimeter. Clark or LJ should flash high and Heron can post down low....it will open the floor up for them. Also, when will everyone stop having this "a win is a win" excuse after we fail to blow out these garbage opponents. They let up 71 points to a now 0-8 Mount St. Mary's team who lost to NC State by 50, hofstra by 18, and Loyola Maryland by 10....embarrassing. Even if they were "working" on things, they should have beat them by 25.  The defense was an absolute joke and they could not keep any of their guards in front of them. Happy to be 8-0 but they seriously better clean this up before conference play.

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2018, 08:13:15 AM »
They played solid offensively tonight. Would like to see more high low play against a zone not guys just standing around the perimeter. Clark or LJ should flash high and Heron can post down low....it will open the floor up for them. Also, when will everyone stop having this "a win is a win" excuse after we fail to blow out these garbage opponents. They let up 71 points to a now 0-8 Mount St. Mary's team who lost to NC State by 50, hofstra by 18, and Loyola Maryland by 10....embarrassing. Even if they were "working" on things, they should have beat them by 25.  The defense was an absolute joke and they could not keep any of their guards in front of them. Happy to be 8-0 but they seriously better clean this up before conference play.

It is true a win is a win

paultzman

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
Zach B
Recruits Zed Key, Andre Curbelo And Jaquan Carlos attended St Johns win last night #sjubb

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2018, 10:47:22 AM »
Nice to see that Jaquan Carlos can keep the Jefferson connection going but I didn't see coach Pollard at the game. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2018, 11:01:44 AM »
The defense was an absolute joke and they could not keep any of their guards in front of them. Happy to be 8-0 but they seriously better clean this up before conference play.
Unfortunately, the defense is what it is until they add someone to the staff that values that side of the ball. You can play at a high pace and play defense at the same time, that is no excuse. I've tried to be patient with Trimble but believe Williams should garner more of his minutes.

TONYD3

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2018, 11:50:04 AM »
Unfortunately, the defense is what it is until they add someone to the staff that values that side of the ball. You can play at a high pace and play defense at the same time, that is no excuse. I've tried to be patient with Trimble but believe Williams should garner more of his minutes.
We all watched another terrible basketball game. And you all are content.
The defense is what it is, is one way to look at it. Or the defense sucks and has sucked for the past 3 plus seasons. I don’t know how you guys can truly enjoy this. Big east is coming. This team is no where near ready.

Poison

« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2018, 11:55:19 AM »
The biggest thing that you have to remember when evaluating this game is that there was an obvious plan to only score by sharing the ball. Ponds avoided scoring consistently. He could have rolled out of bed and scored 30 on wide open layups. He chose to involve his teammates. Love to see it.

Towards the very end of the game, it finally started to click. We saw what great ball movement can do. Let's see if they can put it all together on Sunday and destroy Princeton.

Foad

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2018, 12:30:29 PM »
We all watched another terrible basketball game. And you all are content.
The defense is what it is, is one way to look at it. Or the defense sucks and has sucked for the past 3 plus seasons. I don’t know how you guys can truly enjoy this.

I can enjoy it because it's a hobby and I enjoy my hobbies. That's why I don't rock climb, because it would make me miserable as SJ BB seems to make you. Sitting on the train toilet waxing on about who you'd defend this team, why just stop Ponds and Heron, easy peasy, same way I would have stopped the Knicks, just stop Frazier and Monroe, or the Lakers, just stop Wilt and West and make Happy Hairston beat you. I can imagine the pre game locker room in the 3rd grade girl's CYO league you coach in: now listen up ladies, all we have to do to win this game is stop Emma and Abigail and make Madison beat us. So we're going to throw the triangle and two at them: Harper, I want you to shut down Abigail and Hannah you shadow Emma and and Nora, you're at the top of the triangle and Skylar and Riley you're the base. Npw let's go out there and kick some ass!

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2018, 12:37:26 PM »
Hopefully now that we have Cragg opponents like this will never be scheduled again, at the very least schedule a Fordham or Hoftsta, a Niagara or St. Bonaventure on nights like tn.

I 100% agree that if we are going to schedule cupcakes that we should play all the local ones so we can develop rivalries. Why not play Columbia or Manhattan etc. We should play Iona every year, and play old Big East rivals frequently.

Prior to this year, Mt. St. Mary's has been a very solid program for years. Despite having their roster depleted by Big Schools taking their best players via transfer. Prior Coach Jamion Christian took the Siena job this year, he had done a great job at the school. So have no problem scheduling this program, I live down the road from Emmitsburg, MD.

redslope

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2018, 01:12:56 PM »
Best thing I saw last night was Clark coming out of his early nightmare.  He took the threes and hit them early and late he went to the hoop.  Hopefully the nightmare is over.  He also was very vocal in the post game center court circle exerting senior leadership.  Second best thing was seeing Keita walking about looking pain free so hopefully the operation/PT is making good progress because his presence will give the team a new look

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2018, 01:44:27 PM »
I don’t know how you guys can truly enjoy this. Big east is coming. 

I don't suscribe to the we didn't win the game by enough mentality. That's for the punters. There were positives. Trimble and Williams together hit 3 threes. Hammer broke out of the funk.  The ball moved.  Nobody got hurt.

We're 8 -0 and probably one of only 10 or less remaining undefeateds. I'll worry about the Big East when it get's here.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:45:26 PM by carmineabbatiello »