Under Armour

• 15 replies

wpc77

Under Armour
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:45:41 AM »
Company is getting beaten today on its Investor Day. I think the deal with SJU and UA is up next year. This week, the Company finally fired its Senior Vice President of Global Sports Marketing and Senior Director of Sports Marketing. There were rumors of gifts to athletes, and they were signing off on company "entertainment" that involved taking clients to strip clubs and other inappropriate places.

Beyond that, it just seems like the business isn't being run well. From the article below:

"Going into the meeting, analysts and investors are somewhat skeptical the retailer will be able to continue to grow sales, especially in the U.S., where the market is highly competitive and has been plagued by wholesale retailers like Sports Authority going bankrupt." The Company itself has projected apparel Revenue in the US will be down this coming year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/12/under-armour-investor-day-2018.html

Re: Under Armour
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 01:08:08 AM »
I love the jerseys we have so much more than those old Nike ones. But I don't know we used to always have new merch out which was so much different from the nothing that we had from Nike  but it seems UA has trended the same way.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:18:42 PM »
Will be Nike next year
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 09:33:23 PM »
Will be Nike next year

That's going to make a lot of people happy.

QuanMan

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »
- Let's hope that Cragg hones in on increasing apparel merchandising w Nike and that we have inset deals with sporting good retail stores in this deal.

- Obviously the blue accent color stays, black should be out for good. The current St. John's font as written across our jerseys has to remain too.

- Would love to see the 90's skyline jerseys brought back as a alternate.
Section 3
Section 116

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 12:33:16 PM »
- Let's hope that Cragg hones in on increasing apparel merchandising w Nike and that we have inset deals with sporting good retail stores in this deal.

- Obviously the blue accent color stays, black should be out for good. The current St. John's font as written across our jerseys has to remain too.

- Would love to see the 90's skyline jerseys brought back as a alternate.

Black uniforms should be worn with throw back SJU, and Redmen labeling on them. They will be worn on the night that the school welcomes back all former Coaches after Coach Carnesseca, to include Jarvis. The school will say a prayer to Saint Vincent DePaul and Mother Mary. Once the game is over the black uniforms will be burnt, the ashes spread across the five boroughs, and all will be right with SJU and the world. No more curses, bad vibes, and lost seasons.

On that day Tony and Foad will shake hands and be acquaintances.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 04:46:13 PM »
I love going back to Nike but I do want to keep the current script we have on the jerseys. I hope that carries over to Nike.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »
Will be Nike next year

Dave is that a good thing or a bad thing?

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 05:16:02 PM »
Dave is that a good thing or a bad thing?

This isn't fact but think it's very likely. Don't think it really impacts anything one way or another.

Think things will be pretty generic with Nike.

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 05:34:05 PM »
This isn't fact but think it's very likely. Don't think it really impacts anything one way or another.

Think things will be pretty generic with Nike.

Is it a money thing or has the relationship deteriorated with SJU and UA?

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 08:43:03 PM »
Hi Dave - time permitting can you please provide a little more context as to how these agreements/partnerships work for a school like St. John's ?

Is it that UA or Nike would agree on an amount of free gear/apparel for the various teams in exchange for wearing them and featuring in adverting at games etc or is there actual money exchanged too ?

Who would be driving the creative side of branding like logo, look of of uni's, gear etc ?

redslope

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 09:01:54 PM »
With Cragg in the AD seat and Duke background, one would think he is well known to Nike as Duke is a Nike school.  Our record this year will definitely help/hurt the desirability of the St. John's brand.

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 12:50:19 AM »
ADs and Head Coaches get giant kick backs.

There's a reason why multiple people have heard that Lavins recruiting died. There was no more UA money.

His first class was fueled with guys who took a little extra thanks to UA pumping us. We didn't hit. It was a bad investment. Now they are moving on.

New coach, new shoe contract. Great class.

1+2=2

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 10:24:30 AM »
I feel Nike will be generic have not liked there direction since I left the company, if it were not for scandal would rather become an Adidas school. The design team there is excellent.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2018, 01:32:35 AM »
Is it a money thing or has the relationship deteriorated with SJU and UA?

Financial and ROI. I wouldn't say relationship is good or bad. I think they are just indifferent at this point.

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 01:35:19 AM »
Hi Dave - time permitting can you please provide a little more context as to how these agreements/partnerships work for a school like St. John's ?

Is it that UA or Nike would agree on an amount of free gear/apparel for the various teams in exchange for wearing them and featuring in adverting at games etc or is there actual money exchanged too ?

Who would be driving the creative side of branding like logo, look of of uni's, gear etc ?

There is financial compensation in addition to product.

My personal feelings from a brand standpoint is there is little to no return on investment outside of maybe a handful of schools which are predominantly due to football. A basketball only school is a tough sell and St. John's should go to whatever brand is willing to pay them the most money because it's a dying model.