What top player wouldn't want to play for Mullin?

• 38 replies

Marillac

What top player wouldn't want to play for Mullin?
« on: December 17, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »
*Disclosure: this post has nothing to do with the effectiveness of Mullin as a coach or how his philosophy translates to team success in college*

Look at the star Mullin's system has allowed Ponds to blossom into. Even if you want to strip Mullin and staff of every ounce of Ponds' development, you cannot deny how bright this kid's star shines under Mullin's system...at St. John's...in the Big East...in NYC.

He wasn't a top 30 recruit and he has never been projected by anyone as a first round pick, yet it feels like he's been a national star for a decade.

Mullin's system is one that will either allow you to highlight your game or expose it. You have the freedom to create if you aren't a PG, you have the ability to defend all positions to highlight versatility, you play in an unscripted pro-system without gimmicky defenses, and you get tutelage from two NBA Hall-of-Famers. Coaching from that high caliber of a player really benefits big talents more than 3* and low 4* recruits.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: What top player wouldn't want to play for Mullin?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 06:26:50 PM »
Too early for this as well. Mullin’s players have to first make it to the NBA and be able to stay there.

Right now there is no proof that his methods work at the college or NBA level.
Cougar O' Malley

Rodman

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 11:35:51 PM »
Having players who make an impact in the NBA while nice shouldn't be the goal.  Lets not forget that Syracuse and Duke for many years produced middling NBA players yet were consistently successful on the collegiate level.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 11:47:58 PM »
Having players who make an impact in the NBA while nice shouldn't be the goal.  Lets not forget that Syracuse and Duke for many years produced middling NBA players yet were consistently successful on the collegiate level.

Boeheim turned Andy Rautins into an NBA draft pick. Coach K turned Grayson Allen into a 1st round pick.

This job was handed to Mullin with no experience, and after watching the first three seasons that should be completely obvious to any recruit.

No McDonald’s All American has even considered us because they haven’t been given a reason to yet.

If the wheels don’t come off again once conference play starts, we may land someone.

We’ll know soon enough if he’s learned anything. Right now, it’s too soon to tell.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 06:43:27 AM »
Boeheim turned Andy Rautins into an NBA draft pick. Coach K turned Grayson Allen into a 1st round pick.

This job was handed to Mullin with no experience, and after watching the first three seasons that should be completely obvious to any recruit.

No McDonald’s All American has even considered us because they haven’t been given a reason to yet.

If the wheels don’t come off again once conference play starts, we may land someone.

We’ll know soon enough if he’s learned anything. Right now, it’s too soon to tell.

Do you think Grayson Allen got any better his last few years at Duke?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
Not saying the program’s goal is to produce NBA players. The question is why wouldn’t players want to come here.

There is no positive proof yet at the college or pro level. If this season goes the way we all hope it goes, and Ponds keeps being an all around great player, maybe players will start wanting to come here.

Right now it is too early in this season, and there is no track record from Mullin. Hopefully this will all start changing this year.
Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 03:23:43 AM »
Not saying the program’s goal is to produce NBA players. The question is why wouldn’t players want to come here.

There is no positive proof yet at the college or pro level. If this season goes the way we all hope it goes, and Ponds keeps being an all around great player, maybe players will start wanting to come here.

Right now it is too early in this season, and there is no track record from Mullin. Hopefully this will all start changing this year.

I don't agree. Ponds is an absolute star. There is no player in the country besides Zion (and that is due to his freakish build and talent) that shines brighter than Ponds.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 06:06:43 AM »
I don't agree. Ponds is an absolute star. There is no player in the country besides Zion (and that is due to his freakish build and talent) that shines brighter than Ponds.

I don't know man, Carsen Edwards is a pretty talented ball player as well. Ponds def has the potential to be a star but lets see him do it in some meaningful games first. Love him but he hasn't played in a meaningful game or on a winning team yet. Sure he showed star potential vs Duke last year, but what did that game matter?

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 08:22:50 AM »
I don't know man, Carsen Edwards is a pretty talented ball player as well. Ponds def has the potential to be a star but lets see him do it in some meaningful games first. Love him but he hasn't played in a meaningful game or on a winning team yet. Sure he showed star potential vs Duke last year, but what did that game matter?

Fantastic player, but he played for a top ten team that plays in the Big Ten that made the Sweet 16, and Ponds played for a sub-.500 St. John's team...the fact that it's even close proves my point. I'd also argue Ponds has had more exposure and is more well known. He's a star. Carson Edwards isn't nearly as flashy, so that figures in as well.

Let's say you are a scoring PG ranked #38 in the country...St. John's has to be a very attractive place to go after seeing what Ponds is doing. Let's say you are a SF who wants to create and younar ranked #30 in the country...you have to love the freedom guys like Simon have enjoyed.

Big man would be the only hesitation.

Johnny23

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 08:34:54 AM »
Fantastic player, but he played for a top ten team that plays in the Big Ten that made the Sweet 16, and Ponds played for a sub-.500 St. John's team...the fact that it's even close proves my point. I'd also argue Ponds has had more exposure and is more well known. He's a star. Carson Edwards isn't nearly as flashy, so that figures in as well.

Let's say you are a scoring PG ranked #38 in the country...St. John's has to be a very attractive place to go after seeing what Ponds is doing. Let's say you are a SF who wants to create and younar ranked #30 in the country...you have to love the freedom guys like Simon have enjoyed.

Big man would be the only hesitation.

As a player ranked that high coming right out of HS you only love it if the team has a winning track record. These kids all want to go to the Dance and be playing when it matters most.

Gotta win to get the players. There's a reason Ponds is the only player ranked in the top 50 to come here in 4 seasons under Mullin. J'Raan Brooks was the 2nd highest rated player right out of HS to commit to Mullin and he decommitted quicker than a NY minute when he saw the constant losing.

Winning cures all and next Saturday the real games begin. If they make the Dance then I expect Mullin to land one or two top 50-75 HS kids.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »
As a player ranked that high coming right out of HS you only love it if the team has a winning track record. These kids all want to go to the Dance and be playing when it matters most.

Gotta win to get the players. There's a reason Ponds is the only player ranked in the top 50 to come here in 4 seasons under Mullin. J'Raan Brooks was the 2nd highest rated player right out of HS to commit to Mullin and he decommitted quicker than a NY minute when he saw the constant losing.

Winning cures all and next Saturday the real games begin. If they make the Dance then I expect Mullin to land one or two top 50-75 HS kids.

My post was only focused on the style of play and the opportunity to showcase one's abilities and be a star.

Of course winning is important to many recruits. A history of developing NBA players as well. Ideally we'll put it all together, but this is the first year any of that is even possible. This is a very "what have you done for me lately" business and hopefully the staff fully capitalizes on the star that Ponds has become.

I look at it from point of view of a high school kid watching Ponds live at the Garden. There is very little imagination needed for that kid to picture himself doing the samething. Ponds is a wizard, he's flashy, he's amazing, and he is given every possible opportunity to showcase his entire game.

I think you are right and that winning will open the door to some high level recruits. I'm hoping the staff can directly use Ponds to recruit his replacement.

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 09:13:24 AM »
As far as next year is concerned, we already have caraher wright and Mack coming in as reinforcements. Hopefully we have Steere all year long. I know we're losing Ponds and Clark for sure. I think Simon will stay, he really seems to like it here. TBH I think there is a pretty good chance Heron stays to. Remember the whole reason he came here was to be closer to his sick mother, another year here guarantees that. He would probably be the number one option next year and can really showcase his talent, hopefully improving his draft stock. Don't get me wrong I would love to add a big name freshman, but if we don't get one it's not really the end of the world IMO.

cjfish

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 09:30:50 AM »
Heron will be here.  He needs a year of being the focus of the offense and with ponds gone will get it.

Foad

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »
J'Raan Brooks was the 2nd highest rated player right out of HS to commit to Mullin and he decommitted quicker than a NY minute when he saw the constant losing.

Did he tell you that? Because that's not what he said when he decommitted. Brooks committed December 24th, 2017. At that point SJ was under Mullin 32-45. I take it he had not noticed the constant losing at that point. He decomitted six weeks later, on February 15th 2018, with SJ having won four straight, including upsets of #4 Dook and #1 Villanova. And not being a fan of constant losing he transferred to 5-6 USC, kenpom = 106, where he's playing 7 minutes and scored a whopping 12 points total on the year. Whereas we have his replacement, Marcellus Earlington, who poured in seven points and had five rebounds in four minutes yesterday. Seems like we dodged a bullet.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »
I agree 100% cjfish

Poison

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »
Do you think Grayson Allen got any better his last few years at Duke?

I think Grayson Allen is a POS. I think he was garbage at Duke and I think he’s garbage now, but he was still a first round pick.

Johnny23

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »
Did he tell you that? Because that's not what he said when he decommitted. Brooks committed December 24th, 2017. At that point SJ was under Mullin 32-45. I take it he had not noticed the constant losing at that point. He decomitted six weeks later, on February 15th 2018, with SJ having won four straight, including upsets of #4 Dook and #1 Villanova. And not being a fan of constant losing he transferred to 5-6 USC, kenpom = 106, where he's playing 7 minutes and scored a whopping 12 points total on the year. Whereas we have his replacement, Marcellus Earlington, who poured in seven points and had five rebounds in four minutes yesterday. Seems like we dodged a bullet.

Don't need to be a genius to figure out that the losing was a big factor in him decommitting regardless of what you may think. Way to cherrypick and leave out the big elephant in the room which was an 0-11 start to Big East play. Do you think he didn't factor that in when making his decision? Or was it just the four game winning streak that swayed him after the 11 straight losses?

At least present the entire picture instead of just using what works in your favor when making a weak argument. Yeah Earlington was a real major factor in yesterday's game when we were up by nearly 30 points as he entered. Difference maker.

Johnny23

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
My post was only focused on the style of play and the opportunity to showcase one's abilities and be a star.

Of course winning is important to many recruits. A history of developing NBA players as well. Ideally we'll put it all together, but this is the first year any of that is even possible. This is a very "what have you done for me lately" business and hopefully the staff fully capitalizes on the star that Ponds has become.

I look at it from point of view of a high school kid watching Ponds live at the Garden. There is very little imagination needed for that kid to picture himself doing the samething. Ponds is a wizard, he's flashy, he's amazing, and he is given every possible opportunity to showcase his entire game.

I think you are right and that winning will open the door to some high level recruits. I'm hoping the staff can directly use Ponds to recruit his replacement.

Agree. Ponds definitely has the flash.

Foad

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 12:35:04 PM »
Don't need to be a genius to figure out that the losing was a big factor in him decommitting regardless of what you may think. Way to cherrypick and leave out the big elephant in the room which was an 0-11 start to Big East play.

The elephant in the room is that he committed to a losing program that has been irrelevant for 30 years. You seem to think that he was fine with that, but a ten game stretch made him re think his life choices.

Do you think he didn't factor that in when making his decision?

I don't know what factored into his decision. All I know is what he said. If you want to call him a liar that's your prerogative.

Or was it just the four game winning streak that swayed him after the 11 straight losses?

Speaking of genius, how would a four game winning streak have swayed him into decommitting.

At least present the entire picture instead of just using what works in your favor when making a weak argument.

Yes, a weak argument, as opposed to your ex cathedra pronouncement based upon your ability to read the teen aged mind.

Yeah Earlington was a real major factor in yesterday's game when we were up by nearly 30 points as he entered. Difference maker.

Whoosh.

Johnny23

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 12:37:30 PM »
The elephant in the room is that he committed to a losing program that has been irrelevant for 30 years. You seem to think that he was fine with that, but a ten game stretch made him re think his life choices.

I don't know what factored into his decision. All I know is what he said. If you want to call him a liar that's your prerogative.

Speaking of genius, how would a four game winning streak have swayed him into decommitting.

Yes, a weak argument, as opposed to your ex cathedra pronouncement based upon your ability to read the teen aged mind.

Whoosh.

Using the multi-quote reply does nothing to enhance your retort.