What is Chris Mullin’s coaching philosophy?

• 118 replies

Marillac

Re: What is Chris Mullin’s coaching philosophy?
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2018, 09:16:05 PM »
Do you realize in the same post you just said that we can't beat anybody better than VCU or GTech now but will be good enough to beat Duke in 4 weeks. There is not a coach or miracle worker on the planet that could improve a team that much that fast

I've been fairly consistent with this prediction.  We have precedent for this...just look back to insane February the Lavin team had in 2010-2011.  They were 11-8 with losses against Fordham, St. Mary's, and St. Bonaventure.  They lost to Louisville by 25, Syracuse by 17, and ND by 15. 

On January 30th they beat Duke and that started an 8-1 30 day run. 

Structured teams tend to improve steadily...like a ramp.  Athletic teams that don't have a lot of continuity tend to improve in a series of jumps...like steps on a stairway.  There will be a series of "a-ha" moments before this team approaches their potential.  They will have to get destroyed on the boards and beaten up at least once.  They will need to learn to win with athletes in their grill.  They will need to learn to space the floor better and play through the post. 

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2018, 09:38:46 PM »
Pretty sure that your schedule going from awful to great solely hinging on winning a game in which you'll be about a 20 point underdog isn't an optimal strategy. But perhaps the NBA analytics guys that Mullin has doing the schedule for him think otherwise.

Fortunately for us we'll be way better in February than we are now. Duke on the other hand, with their entire starting lineup having never played together before this summer and consisting of 18 year old superfreak Freshmen won't get any better under the tutelage of perhaps the greatest basketball coach in history between now and 2/2.

I’ve told you before you’re both wrong. Neither of you give an inch and it hurts your argument. Don’t think it’s as perfect as he thinks it is or as terrible as you do. But humor me and answer that question. If we beat duke @ duke is there anything else you could ask for out of an ooc schedule?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2018, 09:39:06 PM »
And btw duke is overrated as per usual.

Marillac

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2018, 10:07:17 PM »
I’ve told you before you’re both wrong. Neither of you give an inch and it hurts your argument. Don’t think it’s as perfect as he thinks it is or as terrible as you do. But humor me and answer that question. If we beat duke @ duke is there anything else you could ask for out of an ooc schedule?

Lol he thinks we are going to be 20 point underdogs. More like 7.5.

goredmen

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2018, 10:31:26 PM »
Lol he thinks we are going to be 20 point underdogs. More like 7.5.

LOLOLOL. There is NO WAY we will be less than double digit underdogs in that game. Unless every single one of their players get hurt between now and then the spread will be around at least 15.

Duke was 10 point favorites today against Texas Tech on a neutral court. You think they'll only be 7.5 point favs against us at Cameron? You should be extremely happy you aren't an oddsmaker because you'd go broke in a day.

We have a new contender for dumbest post of the year and the good thing is we can verify this without a shadow of a doubt in the not too distant future.

goredmen

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2018, 10:33:15 PM »

I don't think the result of one game win or lose changes the overall quality of the schedule. Playing Duke will itself raise our SOS regardless of the outcome. Beating them wouldn't change the fact that the other 12 games were far too weak

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2018, 10:34:54 PM »
LOLOLOL. There is NO WAY we will be less than double digit underdogs in that game. Unless every single one of their players get hurt between now and then the spread will be around at least 15.

Duke was 10 point favorites today against Texas Tech on a neutral court. You think they'll only be 7.5 point favs against us at Cameron? You should be extremely happy you aren't an oddsmaker because you'd go broke in a day.

We have a new contender for dumbest post of the year and the good thing is we can verify this without a shadow of a doubt in the not too distant future.

Would you like to bet then?

goredmen

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2018, 10:39:25 PM »
Would you like to bet then?

Are we betting on the actual outcome of the game or what the spread will be. I don't want to bet the outcome of the game because I don't want to root against SJU. But I will bet any amount you want that the spread won't be 7.5

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2018, 10:46:00 PM »
I don't think the result of one game win or lose changes the overall quality of the schedule. Playing Duke will itself raise our SOS regardless of the outcome. Beating them wouldn't change the fact that the other 12 games were far too weak

I don’t think the “numbers” per se of our OOC schedule will kill us but the perception of not beating anyone good has the potential to hurt us. Beating duke at duke would stop 100% of that. 13-0 plus proving you can beat anyone and that’s about perfect.

goredmen

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2018, 10:49:47 PM »
I don’t think the “numbers” per se of our OOC schedule will kill us but the perception of not beating anyone good has the potential to hurt us. Beating duke at duke would stop 100% of that. 13-0 plus proving you can beat anyone and that’s about perfect.

Yeah, but beating Duke would dramatically enhance our perception regardless of what we did in the other 12 OOC games

Marillac

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2018, 10:50:34 PM »
Are we betting on the actual outcome of the game or what the spread will be. I don't want to bet the outcome of the game because I don't want to root against SJU. But I will bet any amount you want that the spread won't be 7.5

You opened this up at 20. How about we make it 14.5. Under I win, over you win, equal nobody wins.

I meant to type 8.5 originally...not that you will believe that or that it even makes a difference. After actually giving it some thought I think it will be in a range of 8.5- 12.5. 20 is impossible.

I think we win the game.

Marillac

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2018, 10:53:49 PM »

This is exactly what our position is. You have to have big wins to get a high seed and beating Duke @ Cameron has the potential to be the most impressive win of the entire college basketball season.

A win at Duke legitimizes this team and its schedule.

goredmen

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2018, 10:59:06 PM »
You opened this up at 20. How about we make it 14.5. Under I win, over you win, equal nobody wins.

I meant to type 8.5 originally...not that you will believe that or that it even makes a difference. After actually giving it some thought I think it will be in a range of 8.5- 12.5. 20 is impossible.

I think we win the game.

Let's get creative. We each throw out a number of what we think the spread will be. Whoever is off by more has to pay the other $100 x the difference.

Example: Hypothetically I say 20 and you say 10. The line turns out to be 15. Thats a push. If the line is 12 I was off by 8 and you were off by 2. 8-2 = 6 so I'd owe you $600.

Doesn't have to be $100, we can do it in any denomination you wish.

We are free to change our numbers and lock one in tonight or tomorrow. We lock our numbers in and then when the line comes out on 2/1 we can settle up. Good?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:59:58 PM by goredmen »

Marillac

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2018, 11:05:48 PM »
Let's get creative. We each throw out a number of what we think the spread will be. Whoever is off by more has to pay the other $100 x the difference.

Example: Hypothetically I say 20 and you say 10. The line turns out to be 15. Thats a push. If the line is 12 I was off by 8 and you were off by 2. 8-2 = 6 so I'd owe you $600.

We are free to change our numbers and lock one in tonight or tomorrow. We lock our numbers in and then when the line comes out on 2/1 we can settle up. Good?

Ok but if you lose pay up. The last three people to lose public bets to me never did.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:06:26 PM by Marillac »

goredmen

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2018, 11:08:51 PM »
Ok but if you lose pay up. The last three people to lose public bets to me never did.

I'm no welch my man. Should we add a rule that I can't go below 15 and you can't go above 10? Or any numbers you want. If you agree to that I'll post my number and you can have last licks.

SJUFAN

« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2018, 11:26:49 PM »

I think we win the game.

What is our BE record heading into the Duke game?

Marillac

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2018, 01:34:32 AM »
I'm no welch my man. Should we add a rule that I can't go below 15 and you can't go above 10? Or any numbers you want. If you agree to that I'll post my number and you can have last licks.

If I'm putting money on this I'm going above ten. I'd have to be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded to not knowing where you stand. There is no way this is a 20 point spread though.

And, again, we're winning this game. Zion is a dork.

Marillac

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2018, 01:37:18 AM »
What is our BE record heading into the Duke game?

Anything is possible game to game with this team but @Duke will bring the beast out of them and we'll see 40 minutes of hustle. Duke is just running past teams now...they haven't really been tested in the half court much.

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2018, 02:40:33 AM »
It's funny to hear knowing long time Johnny fans argue about potential Ncaa tournament seedings. St. John's just making the tournament is one of those Vatican verified miracles necessary for sainthood.

Don't you know from history that we're about to be struck by injury, cancer, academic ineligibility, girlfriend beating, reefer madness, hoe trains, recruiting violation, player payments, transfer, etc.?

Really, it's ridiculous.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:42:18 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2018, 01:04:40 PM »

Can I get in on this? I’d guess +19